Customs: Disassembling Classics Jetfire?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SMOG, Jan 19, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

So I want to disassemble Classics Jetfire to make what should really just be a very basic cosmetic change (reversing his wings so the stripes are facing up in jet mode).

However, as I examine the figure, I'm noticing that Jetfire's torso seems to be mainly held together by two pins, the ones that his wings swivel on.

Has anyone out there disassembled this figure? Can you tell me what the best way is to go about separating his chest? Is it glued? I don't want to get halfway into it and be unpleasantly surprised. :) 

Thanks for any info...

zmog

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    haha I had the same problem a few months ago, posted, and didn't get much help. THEN by accident about 2 nights ago, I finally got him apart.

So yeah, the 2 pins in the wings are important, and there was a lot of glue in general on mine, so a good soak in alcohol will help (don't worry about the paint on the wings coming off, I soaked him in thinner too and it didn't even put a dent in those wing apps at all). But here is the part I never got until the other day -

[​IMG]

Those toppers have to be pried off, and there are 2 screws in there keeping the bottom half together. Total pitas, but I felt like a dummy for not noticing it a few months back (I thought it was just the wing pins and glue).

Good luck though.

3. SMOG

So wait... the panels on his hips need to be pried off just to access the screws underneath?

Are they glued then?

That's both good news and bad news about the paint apps. Makes it easier to soak them, but I was kind of thinking I wanted to get rid of some of Jetfire's "tribal tattoo" markings in favour of more traditional striping.

Do you think the paint would come off if I really scrubbed at it, or is it that indestructible stuff (like the purple on Classic Megatron's shoulders)?

zmog

4. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've found that those really tough factory paint apps wipe off pretty easy with acetone. Of course, proceed at your own risk...

5. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    It's pretty tough paint, and it didn't put a dent in the gloss either. The only areas that I could strip were the helmet/cockpit (the clear blue parts) - the wings and everything else are still pretty much factory, after like I said a few soaks (thinner for a couple days and 91% alcohol for a day as well).

Those covers are glued on his hips though, the whole thing is a mess. If you aren't going for a full repaint, it might not be worth the trouble imo.

6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    99% Isopropyl Alcohol will remove any & all paint apps you want to get rid of.
    The stuff works great, but only use it if you want to go to the base plastic
    (I.E Classics Ramjet is white but his base plastic is Grey)

I had no problems removing the purple on Classics Megs with it.

7. SMOG

I don't even know where to find 99% alcohol. I only ever see the 91%.

What do you mean Ramjet is white but his base plastic is grey?

You mean on his nosecone and wings, right? I think all his other parts are actually white plastic aren't they?

zmog

8. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Yeah I've never seen 99% either, and I have to sorta hunt to find the 91% most of the time (most of the stores around here seem to only stock the 70 and lower), so I can't even imagine where I'd get that.

Aren't apps like these baked into the plastic though, I thought I'd heard about some process like that? It certainly seems to be the case here. I mean, 91% alcohol ain't no chump either, it took off a coat of testors I had put on part of him a few months back but left the original stuff untouched - even the autobot symbol is still fine. And those stripes just laughed at the thinner bath he sat in for a few days, LAUGHED AT I SAYS!!

9. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    "Up yours, alcohol!" says Classics Jetfire:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

congratz

11. SMOG

Damn... that's going to be a pain in the ass to remove, ain't it. I'm sort of re-assessing the whole mission at this point. :( 

zmog

12. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    You never see it because they keep it behind the prescription counter at drug stores - you have to ask for it.
    Soak these parts in 99% overnight and the paint will slide off - :wink: 

13. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Good to know. My gf told me tonight I'm an idiot too, she's a chemist and has it all over her lab that she could bring home whenever. D'oh.

14. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I found 99% sitting on the shelf in my drug store.
    Yeah that's what i mean about Ramjet, I stripped mine down all the way and everything was Grey. I was kinda surprised myself.

99% works great, couple of hours soaking in it and the paint slides off with very little scrubbing.

15. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Its also at Costco 2L (4X 500ml) for like $6 or $7

16. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Had the same problem when I repainted my Jetfire into Evil Jetfire. Never could get paint to come off not matter how much I soaked him in alcohol. I just ended up painting over him. Which made it easier anyways since he was painted gray. You could paint over im in white, which would be a lot more work, but you won't risk messing up the plastic.

17. SMOG

Yeah, I didn't want to mess around with too much repainting... I just don't really like the deco they gave him. I don't find the weird triangular forms contribute to a convincing alt mode on him (or Classics Starscream).

Maybe I'll try the 99% alcohol...

zmog