Dirty Paint in Robot Mode???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bradimus_Prime, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Bradimus_Prime

Bradimus_Prime Member

Hi guys,

This is my first post so HI to all! Can't wait for the new movie and loved the first one, watch at least once a week if not more as my 4 year old loves it too!!

Sorry if this has been asked before but I've searched through and couldn't see it, one of my major bug bears, pretty much my only gripe with the 1st film was that the transformers, Prime especially but it happened to all of them were gleaming in their alternate, vehicle modes yet when in robot mode their paint was all chipped and scratched.

Was it ever asked or explained why this was?

It's nothing major, just always bugged me LOL

Cheers

2. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    actually this has been a topic of discussion many times and there was no real explanation but a bunch of theories

ok i'm done, and so is this topic

3. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Well one is cgi and the other is an actual car sooo yeah.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I would imagine it was largely because GMC didn't want their cars looking trashed.

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Wow urban-samurai shunting it down.

"There where theories, I'm not going to help you out by telling you any or where to find them. TOPIC OVER!"

6. Bradimus_Prime

Bradimus_Prime Member

OK, thanks guys, just always thought it looked a bit weird, and sorry Urban, couldn't find a thread but never mind

Cheers

7. Lord Ramulus

Lord Ramulus Well-Known Member

well, other than GMC not wanting trashed vehicles, i would say that they must somehow be able to "project" the appearance of a shiny paint job otherwise they would stand out too much...

8. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    You don’t need to apologize. You’re a new member and as such wasn’t around for the past discussion.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    they said the tfs didnt look very real in robot mode with flawless paint.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    If I could, my imaginative explanation would be that as they transform to robots, their "skin" stretches and makes those chips/scratches. When they go back to cars, they "skin" sort of "heals" and looks new again.

11. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
  12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    "cloaked by some kind of invisible force field or something"

13. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
  14. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

i didnt even notice, and you probably werent supposed to either, hows that for an answer?

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I've been kind of wondering this myself. Also, how weird would it be if a Transformer got damaged in robot mode, then transformed, certain parts would come together, and a deep paint scratch would all of a sudden only run through halfway of the car :lol 

But yeah, it doesn't really make sense..although I have to admit..I do like the robots having damage..and I do like seeing shiny cars..

Maybe a theory would be they can heal minor damage (since the metal is selfregenerating, as stated by Lennox), so they can easily make the damaged paint look shiny again. So after battle, when transforming back they'd be all clean again.

Still, that doesn't change how some bots already have damage before battle. :p 

16. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I think something like this is a minor detail that some people will notice and want to ask about but deep down inside they know there is no real explanation for this because it was something that is noticeable yet was never explained in the movie.

And when you really think about it, if it wasn't something that was explained in the movie, it was obviously a goof on the production or lazy editting or CG effects.

Because of that, you might say...."oh, well that's stupid"

However deep down inside, you know something like this does not effect your enjoyment of the movie.

Bottom line, GMC didn't want their new concept cars looking damaged and dirty. But you shouldn't worry about that too much especially when giant F__ing robots are duking it out

17. Bradimus_Prime

Bradimus_Prime Member

Agreed, no way did it affect my enjoyment of the film, FWIW I thought that when in robot mode the battle damage (prior to on screen battles) would have been from Cybertron, and I loved the way Prime had some of the cybertronian symbols, etched like Maori war tattoo's!!

IIRC in G1 when a robot was damaged in battle, the car did have some kind of damage, would be cool to see that in TF2

Cheers

18. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    Yeah hopefully that aspect of the film will be improved in the next movie. Perhaps they can just CG it in if GMC is so concerned about their car's physical well-being

19. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

its not that GM is concerned about thier cars actually being damaged, its about GM not wanting thier cars to be visually displayed as damaged....

but again, its a minor detail that doesnt need an explanation becase no matter what the reason, it doesnt matter

20. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    to be honest, i think it's just one of those things that they hope people won't notice when they're making the movie. or at least, they knew that they could get away with it because so few people would actually be bothered by it.