Dirge, Ramjet & Thrust...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 26_Mirage, Jan 5, 2008.

1. 26_Mirage

26_Mirage Heroic Stunticon

I realize that as G1 toys Dirge, Ramjet & Thrust were basically F-15 bodies with funky wings...but...are there any "real world" jet fighters that trans-fans accept as being at least close to the plane modes for these three?

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I have no idea, but I picked these off google:

Dirge

Minus the tail fin

Ramjet

and I can't see anything for Thrust

3. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well for Ramjet he does have a similar wing design as the SR-71 Blackbird which actually have Ramjet technology

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember the old "Cybertronian" toy guide/profile books that came out years back, which made a rough claim that Ramjet, Thrust, and Dirge were based on actual prototype craft that modified the F-15 for delta wing and VTOL configurations. Now I know there have been a few F-15-based mods and technology demonstrators, but I'm pretty sure there's never been a serious attempt at a VTOL F-15, certainly not with turbines/fans in the wings, anyway. :) 

5. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    not trying to hijack, but was there any rank given to them? like who was higher or was there never really an explanation?

6. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dirge would definitely match the link given, ramjet would be more along the lines of an sr-71, thrust... nothing comes to mind.

You can't really have a "real world" plane like thrust either for 2 reasons.

1. the turbojets in the wings would obliterate the aerodynamics
    2. in a plane, fuel is commonly stored in the wings. thrust would still require standard engines for horizontal flight, and there wouldn't be any place in the fuselage to store the fuel the if the wings have those giant turbofans.

www.moller.com is about the closest thing I can think of, which came out way after transformers, and still has tilting engines(something thrust doesn't have).

Edit: And the conehead seekers were all rank 5 according to their tech specs.

2nd edit: By the way, skywarp was rank 9, starscream and thundercracker were rank 5 according to the original tech specs.

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't know about what the official bases for these three Seekers were, but I always thought the wing designs were based on, or at least reminiscent of, the Saab Viggen (Dirge) and the Saab Draken (Ramjet). I have no idea what Thrust might have been based on, though.

8. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    That's correct. The VTOL etc concept is a Takara thingy, the F15 would was way to heavy even to be considered being fitted with VTOL, the closest was STOL capabilities... other than that many of the designs are takara design with no basis in real life F15 development, neither prototype or experimental. Some time ago I list all the concept, tech demonstrators, prototypes and experimentals of the F15 and none were even closely resembling the cone-head-jets.

Yea they are pretty dead on as closest looking aircraft. Saab JA37 (or AJ37 version) Viggen is closely resembles Dirge.

Ramjet has a wing design that closely resembles the F16XL, although the overwing mounted extra engines is just another Takara thinking.

Thrust is puzzling, and nothing that even remotely looks like a jet in service nor a prototype as such... mouting wingfans would be VTOL friendly because the just add up to the existing high weight of the airframe.

9. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Dirge and Ramjet surely have their real counterparts, but Thrust... no idea.

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    What ?... you need an A/C encyclopedia

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Im guessing they got tired of having green and other 'extra' seekers in the toon background so they decided to have legitimate characters to add to the seeker force.

That or the first 3 seeker toys were hot and they needed a second wave

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    They are retools with Coneheads and Thrust and his wings.

13. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Im guessing they got tired of having green and other 'extra' seekers in the toon background so they decided to have legitimate characters to add to the seeker force.

That or the first 3 seeker toys were hot and they needed a second wave

ALL of the 1984 toys were hot sellers. For 1985, Hasbro wanted as many toys on the shelf as possible and decided to expand the roster via buying transforming robot molds from other companies (Shockwave, Jetfire, Roadbuster, etc.) and minor retools to existing molds (Coneheads, Hoist, Red Alert, etc.)

The coneheads were particularly profitable, as they could simply tool the new parts without altering the old mold (as the G1 Seeker mold was a parts-former).

14. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

yeah, the only F15 type in production was what we got the original Seeker mold/ looks from (non-conehead)