DirecTV Adding Mpeg-4, 30 new HD Channels, 1080P Movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Joe Moore, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Full Link

The Mpeg-4 video is the best part for me. DirecTV doesn't seem to suffer as much as Comcast in terms of compression, but this will make the compression better and less noticeable. People have been begging for Mpeg-4 for almost 2 years now.

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    A large number of DishNetwork's HD channels are MPEG4. Most of them I think. They are also converting all of their SD programming to MPEG4 as well. I think by the end of the year they are hoping to have an all MPEG4 solution. The largest problem with this is that customers have to have a receiver capable of MPEG4 decoding.

As for 1080p over satellite, kind of seems like a waste of bandwith for the broadcasters...

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thankfully, mine is already capable. I don't know about the older DTV HD boxes though. And it looks like the 1080P stuff will be a select few (or select 1) HD PPV channel.

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

As far as I knew a lot of their programming was already in mpeg 4. That was one of the differences of the newer boxes. Can't hurt to use it even more though. 1080p will be nice though.

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I hate when they waste HD bandwidth with news and weather crap.

6. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got the sunday ticket this year I'll be damn to pay the extra to get the games in HD. It should be part of the price I already pay for HD programming. I guess the only games I will get in HD is the ones I got last year.

7. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

No self respecting person pays for Superfan. No self respecting HDTV owning Sunday Ticket subscriber goes without Superfan. In other words, any self respecting HDTV owning Sunday Ticket subscriber gets Superfan for free. Just call them up, say "cancel service" to the stupid automated thing so you get connected to customer retention. Tell them you'll cancel you're service because of their stupid policy of wanting to charge you for something you're already paying for. You shouldn't have much trouble with them giving it to you for free. They may even throw in a few other gifts, especially if you say you're thinking of getting Dish Network.

8. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Time to cut down that big fucking tree in my backyard.

I don't get nearly enough HD channels on cable.