Direct to Video TF projects viable?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jignat, Apr 8, 2011.

1. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I dont post often, but I was thinking what if Hasbro decided to commission a DTV Tf animated films that were 75 min range and focused on different eras or continuities of TF like MArvel and DC have been doing for the past few years.

Like having a G!, BW, or Animated or Prime movie. OR perhaps an adaptation of a comic specific arc, like "Target 2006" , "Matrix Quest" or whatever.

It seems like it would a be a way to placate the fans of different incarnations of TF, while not being too much of a financial burden.

Has anyone ever asked a Hasbro rep about this at a con? I just think it would be a cool idea.

Peace :) 

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    While it isn't financially feasible, Target: 2006 or LSotW as animated movies would be amazing.

3. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe in 10 years if there are no live action movies and there isn't a show running. But sadly I don't see it happening.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I could see webisodes and motion comics before dtv merchandise.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that makes no sense. DC animated and Marvel are doing great direct sales with movies and tv series on. In fact it's more logical to strike while the kettle is hot.

It is a completely great idea but I doubt hasbro has the brains to realize it.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I doubt it's needed.

Hasbro can appease their target audience quite well with the movies and current TV show it'd really be a very niche demographic.

Unlike DC and Marvel comics, Transformers is primarily a children's property centered entirely around toys. The fans, which these would be for, are a secondary market. It's not quite a high a priority.

Sometimes this fandom makes me so sick with it's selfishness and ungrateful attitude.

7. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

It's called a CORPORATION they give a rats ass about you, only your money. Sometimes empathizing with a faceless machine makes me sick.

It's utterly ignorant to say a company does not need the extra profit. It'd be almost sheer profit for them. They have been known to make some bad decisions in terms of maximizing profit. Some were just plain dumb luck and most was because of others being creative with the property outside of hasbro.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Give me a DTV "All Hail Megatron". I'd buy that just to hear:

"Freedom is the right of..."

"OH SHUT UP!!"

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Which is why they're always releasing updates of characters only fans care about, making sure their properties still conform to what the fans still believe is essential to Transformers, despite the fans being barely a fraction on Hasbro's sale charts.
    Faceless machine?

Have you been to Botcon?

Except it's not, because they don't need it. They want it, and want to be on good terms with fans because it's profitable for both parties.

Oh this is so wrong I don't even know where to start.

Those guys outside of Hasbro that make these fantastic decisions? Licensed by Hasbro for that exclusive purpose.

Hell, look at Beast Wars. Transformers was dead after G1, and Hasbro faced a choice: give it to Kenner or kill it for good. They picked the former, and the franchise was saved. This isn't dumb luck, they made the discision, like they always do. The only reason Transformers exists is because of two factors: it's incredible popularity, and everything Hasbro has done to maintain that popularity.

10. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i dont support the idea that just because hasbro doesnt do it, it wouldnt be a good idea and wouldn't make them money. im sure they make mistakes all the time.

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Yes, so it's not a matter of brains that prevents them from doing it, it's the fact they won't make enough money off it for it to be worthwhile. That's a huge difference.

12. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Marvel made a couple million off of Planet Hulk, even more from Hulk vs. Wolverine. Budgets were under 300,000 each. (use of effects and bright colors cover up the tv quality animation).

Planet Hulk - DVD Sales - The Numbers

Couple that with more exposure for toys for Hasbro and it's profitable enough to make it viable.

Honestly can't see why anyone would knock it. If it gets made and you hate the idea, don't buy it. It only has to sell something like 250000 units to profit nicely.

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Marvel's fanbase is a lot larger than the Transformers fanbase. Just compare the comic sales figures. Marvel also has an in-house production staff and an entire division devoted to movies.

Hasbro already has movies and cartoons and commercials to push their toys, why should they invest in a product stream that allows people to watch transformers stories whenever they want, rather than limiting them to the network packed with Hasbro commercials Hasbro already owns and operates?

Also, 250,000 units is a lot, even if it doesn't seem like it. I'm very sure that Hasbro has already crunched the cost-benefit numbers for something like this.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Exactly.

I'm sure Hasbro would make a profit, but how much of one?

Remember,DC and Marvel already have their writters in place and on the payroll.

Most of the stories they are doing belong to them, all rights to copy and alter the characters or stories already belong to the.

For Hasbro to do a DVD of, lets say, Target 2006, or , All Hail Megatron, they are going to have to make a special deal to alter these stories and present them on a different media.

Thats going to effect the bottom line.

15. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Marvel already has movies and cartoons as well and also it has got multiple franchises such as Spiderman, XMen, the Fantastic Four etc...
    You are comparing a company to a part (Transformers) of a company (Hasbro)

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Yes I was. And that's a big part of why Marvel is in a far better position to leverage properties into direct-to-video features than Hasbro with Transformers. If they've done it before recently, it's easier for them to do it again. Also, leveraging multiple properties at once to create a series of features allows them to focus on better cross-marketing, brand equity momentum utilization, and economies of scale.