"DIRECT" Shuttle Derivative, better than Ares?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aaron, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    While trying to look busy at work today I decided I wanted to go for a space theme. I stumbled across something mentioning the DIRECT Shuttle Derivative, so I managed to track down this site.

http://www.directlauncher.com/

It details a true shuttle derived launch system that would save the US government scads of money, and actually be a good option for Moon and Mars shots.

Knowing the partial space bent of this board I thought I'd ask, what you space geeks think about it? Good idea, or are we already too far along with our thinking on Ares that this is a no go?

2. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd say it is a good idea, but such an idea would probably face too much bureaucracy to replace the Aries. The government tends to either be too adverse to new technologies and too reliant on current vehicles (i.e. shuttle fleet, B-52's) or they try and reinvent the wheel and fail miserably (i.e. missile defense, army land warrior).

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, the DIRECT program would actually use a lot of the exact same hardware that the shuttle uses. Would be able to use many of the same facilities with minor modifications, wheras the Ares launch system will use the "same" installations but require extensive modifications.

For example, the Ares system would require a new crawler transport because it would carry all of the launch gantry along with the loaded vehicle. The current crawler transports can't handle that kind of load. The DIRECT platform would be able to use the existing crawler transport, with just a small balance gantry, and one thrust "hole" cut into the transport, for the center engines.

4. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not arguing the merits about it, but the implentation. Case in point, the US Army's Future Combat System is supposed to utilize off the shelf hardware to help transform the Army and help it react to situations faster, more synchronized, and with the same if not, more potent lethality that it has now. However the program's getting more bloated and the development may be scaled back from its original vision. Especially with the change in political climate.

I love seeing new and better uses of current technology. Especially if it makes a current system more versatile than it is now. If the DIRECT program could be successfully executed, then it would serve as not only a launch vehicle for Moon and Mars missions, but also to help further along the ISS. I would love to be able to see at least one fully functional space station in my lifetime.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Seems like a good idea, we're already on TOO much debt, so any new tech that allows us to save a little is a good option.

Plus Im always up for pushing technology foward. Atleast test it so they can figure even more advancements that can be made.
    A single universal launcher sounds cool and maybe they can mix the idea with the old Ares style to go even farther