Dinobots

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by night force jazz, Oct 4, 2006.

1. night force jazz

night force jazz watching and training

OK, all, wondering what your thoughts on the Dinobots in general and each one of them specifically are?

How do ya think they were treated in the cartoon?

Were you a fan of the toys?

Do ya think they were used to their full potential, underdeveloped, or if they just weren't needed?

Yeah, just curiosity on my part. Even as a kid, I loved the concept but always found them to be slightly annoying on the cartoon. But my best friend had the toys and they were AWESOME in my eyes then. So I'm wondering what others thought.

2. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

I pretty much like 'em all. Always been a dinosaur collector so I was eagerly awaiting their release back in da old days. Slag was my first.

Not too bad. I liked them best in season 1, 2 and the movie. Didn't much care for how Grimlock was portrayed in season 3.

Hell yeah. Got them all, and I'm getting them all again via the WST versions. Just got Grimlock and Slag in the mail today. I must say that they are pretty damn cool, and some aspects of them are better than the originals. That said, it'd be awesome if they were rereleased in their original size with these "updated" features, or at least if they were ALL remade into Classics versions. I'm also praying for a Masterpiece Grimlock.

Kinda "all the above" really.

:dj 

3. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    DINOBOTS RULE! I got all 5 complete and I also got my WST Dinobots yesterday as well. It's too bad that my Grimlock did not have any weapons when I opened his package.

I always wondered what their personalities would be like if the Autobots took the Dinobots to Vector Sigma. Smarter or dumber than before?

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Is that Delbo's rendition of Jazz in your avatar?

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

The Dinobots would kick some ass and I think they were treated fairly awesome like...

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I Love Dinobots ;) 

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They rock. Dumb as rocks, but tougher than anyone..

8. NexusPrime

NexusPrime The finder of Gears

I loved the toys but I didnt have all of them (My first one was Snarl but I got him when I was 6 and broke him, I then got a hand me down Slag from a kid next door to me, then I went to a boot fair when I was 12 and found two perfect in condition Grimlock and Sludge I got them both for 2 pounds)

I loved the cartoon versions, Grimlock was my favourite (My mum still to this day when she hears the name Grimlock goes "Not ME Grimlock" haha) My favourite episode has to be call of the primitives just because grimlock saves the day.

One thing I must say is in the cartoon before the movie they were given a more rebelous feel to them but after the movie they were just there for comic relief.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just saw 'em in the toons, and they were great pre-movie. Post-movie (hell even during the movie) sucked. They made Grimlock silly-stupid, instead of just slow. Plus I really liked how pre-movie they TFed to dino mode to do the major ass-kickings, yet after the movie they had Grimlock servering pasteries with an apron on in dino mode. Wtf.

10. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I like em all but they voices used were lacking imo. It sounded like the voices being done were something my grandad would do to make me laugh

11. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

The voices matched them allright, for the times.. Nowadays they would be all hyper sounding..

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Okay, don't hate me for this.....

I like the dinobots too, as characters. Grimlock, especially, has a really well-defined and fun personality, and the toys were neat too (what kid doesn't like dinosaurs?). They were definitely some of my favorite toys as a kid.

But as far as the overall storyline of Transformers goes, well, I think the introduction of the dinobots was kind of the "jump-the-shark" point, where it started getting away from the idea of "robots in disguise," that made it unique, and just became "giant robots... that turn into stuff." That's not necessarily a bad thing, I guess.... I think it was just a slightly silly idea to suddenly throw in giant robotic dinosaurs.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Swoop - always been my favorite of the group since the "Desertion of the Dinobots Pt. 2". He's one of the few Autobots who can fly, he's a lot friendlier than the others, and he's the closest one I can come to imitating the voice of. I always thought it was interesting that he was a Teranadon(sp?) and not the obvious Pterydactyl(sp?).

Grimlock - always had mixed feeling about him. I always hated the way he dissed Op in the cartoon, but liked how he was loyal to Kup & Rodimus. I like Furman's version, hate Budinasky's. He's overrated as a character imho, but I can't deny the fun of seeing bad-ass Grimlock laying some Decepticon smackdown.

Sludge - a gentle giant which makes sense for a Brontosaurus, I found a good use for him recently for a scene in a fanfic I'm currently writing.

Slag - another bad-ass, but a polite bad-ass. Probably the most willing to challenge Grimlock's leadership.

Snarl - wish we knew more about him. It's interesting that he's the only Dinobot that has ever refered to himself as "I" on the cartoon, suggesting more intelligence than the others, which is odd since Stegos are so stupid they need two brains.

On the whole the Dinobots are a great adition to the Autobot forces - tough, mean, sometimes lovably stupid, and willing to do the dirtywork than only the Twins or the Wreckers seemed willing to touch.

Plus they helped pave the way for everyone's favorite Raptor in BW.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The Dinos are my favorite TFs ever (Grimlock obviously being #1)

As a kid I was obsessed with Dinosaurs...in second grade our teacher let ME give the inital lesson on Dinos to the class (which made me feel like both a huge douche and really cool at the same time:lol ). I saw 'S.O.S. Dinobots' and freaked. I loved them. I still remember seeing the commercial for the Dinobots' toys for the first time...I jumped up and ran around un circles screaming. I begged my mom to take me to the store for three days until she caved...she bought me Grimlock, then soon came Slag, Sludge, Swoop then Snarl. They're still some of my favorite TF toys. Love 'em to death.

Their portrayal in Seasons 1 and 2 of the cartoon were awesome...up until Devestator they were pretty much invincible...they'd show up and the Decepticons would pretty much automatically run away. I think one of my favorite Dinobot moments is when all five work together as a team the first time in 'Megatron's Master Plan' and nullify the tidal wave...it's just a freaking cool scene. Their role in the movie was alright, but I always missed Snarl being in it (except for the three shots he was in) and that was when they started becoming the comedy relief. I hated them in Season 3since they were dumbed down and used for nothing but cheap laughs (well, Grimlock anyway since the others weren't even really around much at all, except 'Grimlock's New Brain', 'Thief in the Night', and 'Call of the Primitives'.

Except for Grimlock, they really weren't fleshed out too well in the comic, though I did like the fact they were obviously smarter than the drones they were in the cartoon.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Thats why optimus was a dick and locked them in the closet until they were needed;) 

I'm just joking around, I totally agree with your point...though really at the end of More then Meets the Eye part 3, the world knew about the Transformers anyway so the whole 'Robots in Disguise' was a moot point anyway:p 

16. butz

butz slippery when wet

Dinobots were always some of my favorites- Swoop, followed by Grimlock. Snarl looks awesome in bot mode, but his dino mode was always kinda lacking.. Slag was the opposite. Sludge was great in both modes.

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Dinobots were a great group. Kinda dumb at the beginning but defintely cooler than their 3rd season version.
    I like the toys, I don't have any of the original and that's why I'm waiting for the Classic versions. XD Grimlock already looks great and I can't wait for the rest of the gang.
    As for the comic version: I only know the DW's Lightning Strike Coalition, and I like the way they were shown.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Easily my favorite sub-group of Transformers ever. Realy, who didn't love the Dinobots? Hands down the toughest non-combined Autobots; walking disaster areas that were so powerful even the Autobots could barely contain them. It's always been a personal disappointment that the only Dinobot I've ever actually owned is Grimlock. I've been waiting forever to get reissues, but it looks like that'll probably never happen. :( 

19. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Always liked the Dinobots up through the film, which I was kinda so-so. It seemed as though that around half way through the film they become the comedy relief and then it just kinda went downhill from there in season 3. Was always a fan of Grimlock and Swoop, but as a whole, I thought the Dinobots were a important addition to the Autobots.

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    loved them and still loving them..they are the badeste strike force the Autobots have to thorwo out ( not counting the city bots or Omega) I would even say they are a greater attack force then Defensor, Superion and Computron. The only thing the dinobots have as a weakness are they are to dumb, just as in the movie they attack Dev one at a time and in that case DEV wins 10/10 times. If they would have hade a normal mind and do combined attacks they would be unstopable.

But I love thos big dumb boosos :)