Dinobots Swoop/Terranotron (Wal*Mart exclusive) question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    This one.
    http://seibertron.com/toys/gallery.php?id=699&size=0&start=0

I know there was avariant that had him alternatively called "Swoop" or "Terranotron".

1) Originally I thought the "Terranotron" version came out first, but then I saw a note at the Transformers Wiki that claims the "Swoop" variant was the earlier one. Which is correct?

2) I know there are bio cards that feature the name alternatively as "Swoop" or "Terranotron", but thus far I've only seen a scan of the instructions and a photo of the back of the packaging that features the name "Terranotron". Was the "Swoop" name also featured in the instructions and on the back of the packaging for the other version?

2. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    Regarding #1, Swoop came out first followed by Terranotron. Don't have any proof besides my own memory, but I clearly remember Swoop coming out first. However, it wasn't long before the Terranotron version came out. I mean, less than a month after Swoop. Therefore, I don't know if one came before the other or if it was just some random occurance of Swoop cases hitting the floor before Terranotron cases.

Regarding #2, I don't again have any proof. I sold him off awhile ago (the Swoop version). I believe, from memory both the packaging (all of it) and the instructions stated Swoop.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Okay, apparently the Wal*Mart Dinobot conflicted with a Ty Beanie pterodactyl named "Swoop", hence the name change.

Now if someone could explain me this:

Hasbro filed for "Swoop" in 2002. Released the Wal*Mart Dinobots two-pack in 2003, noticed that the name conflicted with the Ty Beanie toy, changed the name to "Terranotron".

Filed for "Swoop" again in 2003. Released the Energon two-pack with Grimlock in 2004 (and YES, Kickback, the trademark claim is for "Swoop" alone, as the full name is "Grimlock(R) & SwoopTM"). Then abandoned the second registration attempt (the one from 2003) in 2004.

Then abandoned the first registration attempt (the one from 2002) in 2005.

Then released the Classics Dinobot Mini-Con in 2006.

While not as strange as the second registration for "Soundwave", it sure is weird.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the Swoop sticker version, but the instruction sheet has the Terranotron name on it (albeit in the form of a sticker that's covering up the Swoop label).

Mind you, I have all six of the Dinobots, but only one instruction sheet, so I can't be certain that it's the exact one packaged with the Grimlock/Swoop two-pack or if it came in one of the other two.