Dinobots - Shouldn't this be a no brainer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Buzzetta, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Buzzetta

Buzzetta Well-Known Member

Just wondering...

Dinosaurs? Who doesn't love them?

Robots? That's why we are all here?

How is it that Hasbro seems to have dropped the ball on this one? Why couldn't there be at least one new Dinobot issued each year in the Classics / Generations line?

I do not feel that the usual answer of "suggestion X appeals only to a collector orientated or narrow audience and would not appeal to the wider children's market that Hasbro aims for" actually works here.

What kid doesn't love dinosaurs? Now throw in robots that transform into dinosaurs and we are talking win-win all around. Collectors are happy, kids are happy and the world can begin the long road to peace.

What say you oh mighty internet?

2. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know what you mean. I've been wanting a classics set of dino bots for ages. I'm done waiting for hasbro to do it and have decided to just wait for a 3rd party to knock them out of the park. They can call them gestalt busters or something.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I think cars nowadays are more and at least as much popular. I can't say too much about the reasoning but what I can offer is this as fact:

In my TRUs around here (4-5 in total that I go regularly), animated Snarl is STILL there. Grimlock was FINALLY off the shelfs about 1 month ago and I believe they didn't get sold, just get sold to Bargain shops.

Aside from MP Grimmy, that's what happened when they tried Dinosaurs, last.

4. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    Ive never understood why new dinobot toys are-
    A) scarce, and-
    B) shite.
    Like you said-no brainer.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    This, and Unuverse Dinobot wasn't exactly a hot seller either.

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Didn't we do a 70 page thread on this...like last week?

I would love dinos too.

Not happening in the near term though, the "look" of the line is currently "realistic modern alt modes," period. Even crazy dudes like Straxus and Thunderwing get quasi-plausible earth-modes at this point.

Unless you want a Slag-Hummer called "Skittles," this is sadly not the moment.

D/L

7. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

What about Hasbro doing a take on Dynobots..... Like Darkmount and Thunderwing, make realistic earth vehicles with traditional robot modes....

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    This is something I like to call "defeating the purpose"

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I want some Classic-esque Dinobots to fight my TFC Devastator.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because they're not really a priority. Most fans would rather have somebody else from '84, and the general public really doesn't care about the Dinobots.

Other reason most "teams" aren't done: It's not a sure thing they'll all get made, and the target audience doesn't recognise them.

Also you used the term "dropped the ball" facepalmingly wrong. That would be if they made the dinobots but they all sucked, or they pulled a Mattel and made them impossible to get/find. You can't drop the ball if you don't pick it up.

11. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

yeah,but not very many people like a evil autobot in the normal universe.(Don't bug me SG fans!) save for sideways.But the Dinobots were big,stupid & powerful.Dinobot was kind of scrawny

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    But he wasn't supposed to be. He's only like that because they tried to make his beast mode "realistic." If "Realistic" Dinos are a tough sell, fake-ass outdated perceptions of Dinos are gonna do even worse.

13. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    But didn't Classics Grimlock sell just fine?

Really the arguement that "Thier not in the publics mind" Is a job for a good Marketing team.

14. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    As much as I loved my G1 Dinobots, they're not on my high priority wishlist for classics.

I'd rather see some proper updates on Masterforce characters.

15. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

Well,if you remember,a lot of unrealistic vehicles sold very well in past lines.

16. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    I woudn't mind seeing unrealistic vehicular dinobots.

17. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    This COULD happen

But this is the problem.

Classics Grimmy happened when Hasbro thought this "Classics" idea was a one-shot 6-mold filler throw-away line to put SOMETHING on the pegs before the '07 movie product was ready.

As such, the rules weren't well defined yet.

Cheetor and Dinobot were also an anomaly, probably sneaking in because the animal forms are(were) "real." But they were keeping a lot of pegs warm, so Hasbro tightened up the rules around the ROTF/Yellow-Box era.

Hasbro's stance lately has been that EVERYTHING under the main imprints will be "realistic modern vehicles" with the robot mode styling (Heritage vs. Movie) being the only variable.

Those are the rules, so for now, robotic dinosaurs and cybertronian vehicles are just OUT. It would have been like asking for Alternator Grimlock to have been a T-Rex, that's NOT how that line worked, and it's not how the current line(s) work either.

Now if a few years out from DOTM the Prime-verse is still kicking (or some new fiction has replaced it), then the rules might shift again, but it's not happening NOW or SOON. REGARDLESS of how well or not well they might sell.

D/L

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem with the Dinobots (and Insecticons, and any other colour coordinated team) is that the retailers generally don't like to see a bunch of same-ish coloured guys on the shelves at one time.

They like their toys to be relatively easy to distinguish at first glance, to aid impulse buyers.

"My kid already has a grey dinosaur one", the parent thinks, and leaves it on the pegs. So goes the idea, anyways. Especially when there's no supporting media to back up the character recognition.

The other problem with the Dinobots is that there's little re-use potential in the molds, so Hasbro will opt for designs that have more staying power first. While they could revisit the Dinobots at any time, the above conditions suggest that it would take a while for them to be able to do them all.

19. Buzzetta

Try to keep up with the context that I am using it in. They are dropping the ball on potential sales. The production team plans over a year in advance with what they believe will bring profits.

So the question was placed that since children seem to fascinated by dinosaurs and transformable robots, that the combination should be a no brainer. They are dropping the ball by putting out other items that may not sell as much as they could.

Next time try not to be so pretentious.

20. Buzzetta

Agreed... that is why I suggested releasing one or two a year as Hasbro has done when it came to Star Wars Episode 4 Cantina Aliens. As far as media representation, I also agree with you that lack of portrayal in the media is definitely a hinderance to getting the deal done. However, again, transforming dinosaurs.

The point you bring up with that has the most weight is that they cannot reuse the mold for really much else. That in itself would be a major reason not to produce them. I could not agree more with this point and it is probably a huge factor to the production team.