Dinobots - KO's v. WST v. Vintage G1 Used

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PDX Prime, Jan 26, 2008.

1. PDX Prime

PDX Prime New Member

Hello. I didn't get any responses posting this in one of the other forums, so thought I'd try here. (Sorry if this has been asked before).

I'm looking to add some Dinobots to my collection. I'd prefer ones with more diecast metal than plastic, and most closely resemble the look of the G1 Dinobots (both in robot and dinosaur modes).

From what I've read, the KOs may not be very good (quality control issues). Does anyone have experience with the alleged "second generation" KOs that are now appearing on ebay (e.g., Grimlock), and claim to have fixed the problems with the first generation Dinobot KOs? How do the WSTs compare? The MISB Vintage G1s are way out of my price range. And getting a used G1 Vintage on ebay seems like a crap shoot, because you never know how accurately described the item really is.

Any recommendations on which line to go for? Thanks!

2. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    The KO's are OK but some of them are worse then others. The Grimlock does seem to be the best so far but even it has some small issues. (I have been so busy that I have not had time to post my review of him yet) If you are concerened about die cast, not to worry there, all of them have the same parts metal as the original, including the wst ones. If you don't mind them half the size, the wst ones are great. Reprolables does stickers for them that are better than the ones you get so you can replace all the labels. The KO ones are full size but depending on how exact you want to go, there will be differences. You would have to ask about each one to find out what those differences are or you can check out www.kotransformers.com to see some of them.

Hope that helps out a bit.

Spencer.

3. PDX Prime

PDX Prime New Member

Thanks, Spencer. This is very helpful!

4. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Hey Spencer,

Any estimate on when you'll have that Grimlock review posted? ;-)

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Go G1 vintage!

They're not really that expensive, $35-60 each complete, except Swoop who's more (his is also the worst quality of the kos). If you're into wierd remakes, there are clear kos for sludge and slag out.

You are right it can be tough to tell how accurately the seler is describing their condition, but that can work in your favour too (I got an unused condition sludge that way for $35). The Dinobots are among the most frequent of vintage G1 appearing on ebay, and with the kos out that should divert some other potential competing bidders towards them. If you go out looking on ebay though, the more detailed description the better, i.e. don't settle on auctions with 'good condition, as is, see pics' kinds of brief descriptions unless the pics are really good. Many sellers accurately describe their figures too though.

Oh, the wst are cool too but the real full sized things are best.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008