Dinobot question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ian2800, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ian2800

ian2800 Well-Known Member

So I went to Botcon this year. It was a really great time. As many of you know there was a dinner for the hall of fame inductees. That too was a lot of fun. However, when it came to the 'Fans Choice' I was pretty upset with the result. I'm not a fan of the Beast Wars in any way shape or form. The only one I own is the Prime that turns into a mammoth. This is just personal taste and I'm not looking to pick a fight or offend. At least not in this thread haha.

Here's the question - Can anyone clue me into the significants of this guy 'Dinobot'? We're talking history, character profile, anything. I'd like to know more about the character and I felt this is the best place to go if I want an answer to come from someone who has a vested interest in the line. One that preferably comes from a fan of the series.

Thanks
    Ian

2. fisch

fisch In a room...WITH A MOOSE!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    This is like asking why optimus prime plays a large part in G1 transformers.

read the wiki link...then check out the beast wars show to see.

it will demonstrate why and how dinobot rocks the fucking house the way that he does with beast wars.

4. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Dinobot, easily the top 5 in any cartoon/mythos/story, was one of the most fleshed out characters ever done. The way he was written and performed easily pulled you in and made you care about him.

5. ian2800

I should have mentioned that I intentionally didn't visit the Wiki because I felt fans of the character could supply information that they were passionate about. But I do appreciate the link. Cindersaur falls right in line with what I was looking for. Generation 1 was my childhood, including the animated movie and what followed in the serialized tv show. Lion makes a bold statement with the top five call. I am a bit more compelled to try watching the series again. When it was on, I'll be honest, it was difficult to take in. The aesthetic was just god awful. Granted they were just using what they had at the time, but if you say the story is there, I'm down.

I appreciate the responses.

6. Alph

Alph Member

Ian, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how well BW ties into the G1 mythos once you get into seasons 2 and 3. Definitely give it a chance.

7. Optimusfiretruck

Optimusfiretruck Decepitcon Squad Leader

I don't know Ian, I am not a fan of BW BM or Animated at that. I watched the complete beast wars last month. If you are a G1 fan its a bastardization. I won't reveal the plots and all that but I would say don't try to tie it in to G1 at all, make it its own continuity all together. If the say things about G1 cast. or something close to G1 ignore it. You will enjoy it much more

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can tell you that I, too, grew up during G1 and initially disliked Beast Wars. I thought they had taken the basic concept of the Transformers, essentially said "Let's make them cute animals with cute animal names instead of vehicles," and trampled everything I thought was cool about Transformers. Most of Season One I find to be "take it or leave it." But eventually I decided to give Season Two a chance and it blew me away. Now, having seen the best that Beast Wars has to offer, I can appreciate Season One's early, simpler, kid-oriented episodes for what they are.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the hardcore Beast Wars fans among us (I made this suggestion in another thread and... well, people disagreed with me) I think you should skip ahead and just watch "Maximal No More" and "Code of Hero," the Dinobot-centric episode that most people hail as one of the high-water marks of the series. Now, true, you won't have a lot of the context for who Dinobot is and why he does what he does. But if it appeals to you, you can always go back and watch the Season One episodes. (Unlike G1 and its massive cast, Beast Wars' maximum of a dozen or so characters means that pretty much everybody is doing something in every episode, with varying degrees of long-term importance. I'll agree with the hardcore fans that you really have to watch the entire series as a piece to get the whole picture, but since you say you watched early episodes and didn't like them, that's probably not for you. Start with the best and work your way down.)

And if you like "Code of Hero," might I suggest "The Agenda" three-parter? Those're the episodes that made me go :jawdropper: 

9. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

Why would you ignore the G1 references? The show ties in quite well with the G1 continuity.

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Also watch Feral Scream for Dinobot 2.

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's kind of hard to tell you why Dinobot is important to the mythology when you haven't really seen any of the Beast Wars cartoon.

It's like trying to tell someone why The Godfather is such a great movie when the person you're talking to refuses to see it.

12. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Let's see, how can I put this....

Dinobot single handedly takes on the Predacons, dispatches them like they are nothing, is about to get into stasis lock, ignores said stasis lock, takes on Megatron with none of his weapons, improvises a hammer made of a log and rock, beats Megs ass, then destroys the Golden Disk and goes offline......he does all this just to save the future of the human race.

Dinobot was the best character from Beast Wars, do yourself a favor, go watch BW, you just might like it.

13. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    The answer I was given when Dinobot won is that all the other nominees were G1 characters. Beast Wars has a large enough following that since Dinobot was the only BW character, all those votes went to him.

Personally, I think Soundwave should have one.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

From what I've read so far, this^ a million times.

People are always asking questions about Beast Wars and they have never even watched the show.

Go away, watch the series and come back and see if you still want to ask why Dinobot is great.

:banghead: 

15. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

Dinobot was one of the truly "fleshed-out" characters in the BW series. I was truly impressed how Dinobot evolved as a Transformer. First as a ruthless Lieutenant to Megatron, then understanding that his personal Code of Honor and morals/ethics was not the same as the Predacons, eventually leading to his defection. He challenges Optimus Primal to a duel for leadership of the Maximals, and eventually joins the Maximals under Primal's leadership, albeit reluctantly. His character then grows and evolves, becomes part of the Maximal "family."
    I think if you appreciate what good character development (far beyond what G1 achieved), you should watch BW. Like others have said - the first season is a little slow, but seasons 2 and 3 treat you to a complete story arc that is compelling.

16. ian2800

Ok, shibamura_prime and auto Morph, I have to bust you two on something, I never said that I was not going to watch the shows. This thread was started so fans could give me some first hand insight as to why they do or don't like the series - specifically Dinobot. I have enough info now to take in the series ... all of them, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, all of it. This was like "prepping the nest" if you get my meaning. I will call to mind one important fact, because it was a 'fans choice' I went to you guys first. Not the wiki. Not to the show, cause lets be honest, if I did so without this information. I'd just turn it off and continue to blindly bash the series.

I'm not going to do that. With the info gathered my interest has been piqued. Who can I thank for that? Fans.

17. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    In a nutshell, the reason why most fans voted for Dinobot was mainly for the strength of character the guy had. One of the best character arcs in story-telling history, never mind Transformers.

But, the reason I think people like me voted him into the HOF, is simply because the HOF ia going to be an annual event, and if next year follows this years pattern, Jazz, Shockwave, Soundwave and Grimlock will without a doubt be Hasbros 4 choices ANYWAY. No point voting a character in who will definitely go in anyway. With the FANS CHOICE, we have the chance to get the obscurer characters who we passionately embrace and not just because of the longevity of their brand association.
    We have a vote, and we used it to get the character in who probably wouldn't be chosen by a committee.

2011 - vote for the obscure guy!

18. Juggalo_Prime

Juggalo_Prime Planeswalker

dinobot is the most honorable character in TF history. he saved mankind at the cost of his life. not gonna lie, i cryed when it happend

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

In that case all is good.

My main aim was to get you to watch the show and it sounds like you are going to do that, so as a huge fan of the series it will be very interesting to hear your thoughts (especially once you get to the midway point in season 2!)

Please do report back with any comments and opinions you may have. I won't care in the slightest if those opinions differ from mine, but at least they will be yours and at least they will be fully educated. :thumbs2: 

20. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

The show does take a little time to find its feet, I won't deny that. But once it does...

Dinobot is one of the most fully fleshed out characters in the history of Transformers. Know why a lot of people just couldn't take the live-action characters? Because we'd been spoiled by the incredible writing we got in BW. We got to see him (among others) change and grow because of the circumstances surrounding him, his understanding of them, and the choices he made. He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes, he didn't always learn from them, but he, for lack of a better word, "lived" before our eyes and, in the end, his choices cost him his life, but not the one thing he deemed far more important than that, his code of honour.

Taken as any ongoing fiction, not just Transformers, Dinobot's character arc was just well done start to finish.

- Coeloptera