Dinobot II - Is He, Or Isn't He?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Goldlock, May 11, 2011.

1. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    After watching the Beast Wars finale again, it's got me wondering...What are people's views on the eventual fate of Dinobot II; do you think he survived the Nemesis due to his (piece of) indestructable spark & TM2 healing abilities, or was he absolutely without doubt destroyed?

And did he only gain Dinobot's ghostly memories after Rampage's death; or somehow become a new vessel for the original's spark (afterall, Rampage's spark would have ceased to exist & yet Dinobot II still functioned)?

EDIT: The events of the cut episode 'Dark Glass' explain things; but there is still a little ambiguity on what eventually happened.

EDIT 2: Can we assume he became a full 'copy' of himself upon Rampage's demise, ala TM2 Prowl?

Feel free to inject any original ideas/theories & let's see if we can make some agreed upon fan-fiction with this, if it's possible. :) 

2. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I always found it a little strange that he would have the original Dinobot's memories. I was ok with it, I just personally wouldn't have thought that he would retain Dinobot's memories. I agree that it was only after Rampage's death that he regained Dinobot's memories. And given that Rampage's spark was able to perish, I think that Dinobot II's perished as well in the crash.

3. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This might help explain it.

From tfwiki:

"Dark Glass" was an unproduced episode planned for Beast Wars' third season, written by Christy Marx. It was replaced by "Go With the Flow".

Rattrap salvages a computer bank from the Axalon and in it's circuits he and Rhinox find the core consciousness of the old Dinobot (which as you will recall Dinobot downloaded in a previous episode). Rattrap gets obsessed with the idea that he can restore the old Dinobot by getting it into the new Dinobot's systems. Rhinox tells him this will probably not work, as a core consciousness without a spark is only an illusion of the person to whom it belonged. And if it didn't work, it just might give the Dinobot II all the old Dinobot's memory schematics and habits on the Maximals which could give the Preds and advantage. Optimus thus forbids the attempt. Rattrap defies this order, sneaks out and at much risk to himself, does manage to get the core consciousness in place. For a moment the old Dinobot does seem to emerge but as Rhinox warned he is only a shadow of his former self and must do everything he can to keep Dinobot II from regaining control of his body, a weird mental struggle which would have been fun to animate. The old Dinobot knows he is doomed to lose this struggle and tries to "sacrifice" himself again by infiltrating the Predacons and taking out Megatron before he can complete his master plan to destroy the Autobots that were in stasis in the Ark. It doesn't work and Dinobot II regains control of his body only to be blasted by Megatron. Rattrap comes to accept that his old pal is truly dead and realizes he cannot bring him back. However he honors his friends memory. (original post)

Link to full entry- http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Glass

4. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

I like to add in the events of the unproduced episode Dark Glass into the BW continuity (see HERE). That solves the memories thing.

Also Transformers Mosaic added a nice little story about if Dinobot survived called Charge

5. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    check this out. Dinobot II - Transformers Wiki. I'd be happy to discuss it but there is a lot of "extra" info on this topic you should be aware of first.

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Damn that's a great Mosaic. Really, really sad.

7. Goldlock

News Credits:
    Ah, I remember something about that now & it makes a lot more sense to the memory issue, thanks. (i'm retconning this in as-well) :) 

But it's a bit odd Dinobot II would have such a strong personality, since Megatron made him from a blank protoform that coulddn't be reprogrammed; cloned cells & a piece of Rampage (who isn't really evil or obedient...just completely insane)...

That mosaic is really well done too, it's poignant & seems so fitting for the character (wonder if this could be retconned into somewhere?).....strange i've never seen this mosaic before!?

8. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

It is, but for me it is the best representation what happened to my favourite character after the Nemesis fell and the Maximals left.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    ... but why hasn't anyone found him on Dinobot Island yet?

10. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

The Nemesis re-crashed at South America not Dinobot Island.

One interpretation without Dark Glass is that the Allspark allowed a possession similar to Starscream's ghost upon Rampage's death so that the Maximals would come home and be the Oracle's pawns for Cybertron's evolution.

11. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Which is odd, seeing as how the battle in the Beast Wars finale was supposed to be somewhat near the Arc, right?

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    My personal theory (i.e. shit I made up because it was left ambigious) is that because Dinobot 2 was a clone, once his body was rendered empty upon Rampage's destruction, the spark of the original was able to take hold. However since the memories and brain were different, the clone was merely influenced at first by the nobilty of Dinobot, before finally becoming him in his final seconds.

Indeed, but it's kind of fuzzy on exactly how far the ship fell before it crashed, plus plate movement, etc. It just sort of falls off into the distance.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Dinobot did not survive the nemesis explosion, as one could argue whatever remained of his "immortal" spark gave out when Ravage was destroyed, at which point he was likely only living on borrowed time anyway. The removal of this motivative influence on his consciousness, however, could have allowed the dinobot memories to assert themselves, even if it was only a reflection of the late, great dinobot.

14. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like to think he survived the Nemesis blast and somehow got reformatted into the form of Beast Wars II Thrustol.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I wish Dark Glass had been a real episode now.

16. Goldlock

News Credits:
    Me too; can someone here with good illustrating skills have a go perhaps? :D 

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Or Beast Machines Rapticon. Both are excellent toys.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Dinobot 2 absorbed the energy of the Nemesis' systems as it crashed, reformatting into the Rapticon body.

Now he is literally Nemesis Dinobot!

19. Goldlock

News Credits:
    :lol  Then, he tracks down Waspinator; and together they salvage scrap left from the Darksyde and Axalon sites to build a small ship able to return to Cybertron.

Which is why none of the wreckage was discovered in the present day!....this stuff writes itself!

20. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

dark glass doesnt explain everything away. dinobot started having memories of the attacks on the vally where he was killed, this is well after his memories were copied so the original had to have something to do with it.

it seems like after rampages death something happend with dinobot 2s spark. wether the original began to take over or just influenced him to save the maximals will probably never be known, but given that it was only a fragment of rampages spark and was always connected its possible without the core whatever part was in dinobot 2 couldnt support itself and either began to fade or disappeared completely along with rampages and the originals took its place.