Dinobot Head Cannon

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rattrap Primal, Mar 5, 2018.

1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Mopey Sea Urchin

Ebay:
    Someone should do a TMNT style crossover where the G1, IDW, FoC and Dreamwave Dinobots meet one another and are forced to work together to stop a team of interdimensional Shockwaves. Bonus points if the G1 guys get all the plot armor and everyone is forced to deal with them ignoring every detailed strike plan in favor of the best and only G1 dinobot tactic of screaming and charging in the direction closest to where Devastator is located.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

In my head canon I view dinobots as barbarians. They are strong, love fights and challenges, lack finesse and proper manners, while still being good guys at heart.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thundermania

Thundermania Liege Centuro

YouTube:
    In my "head-canon" I view them as a group of rebellious anti-heroes who are Autobots in name only. It's Grimlock's hatred of bullies and oppressors that keeps them on the side of good.

4. Thundermania

Thundermania Liege Centuro

YouTube:
    This. Everything you just said is true.

5. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

The Dinobots are a combination of comics and cartoon in my mind. They fought Shockwave on top of the volcano that became Mount Saint Hillary, fell in, and thats where they lay until being found by Wheeljack and Ratchet and repaired. The time in the superheated stasis damaged some of their cognitive systems beyond repair. Swoop and Snarl were more badly damaged and therefore had to spend longer in the CR chamber.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

G1 Toon dinobots. No combination. No smarts. Pure brute force. Unlikeable personalities. Autobots in name and neccessity only. Kick space gods butts (litteraly) and taking names.

• Like Like x 2
  7. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my head cannon...

the dinobots aren't dumb, they are just stubborn and brutish. They are an ancient group of warriors who wound up on prehistoric earth and became its unlikely defenders from the quintessons first attempt to claim the planets natural resources. their original team consisted of the core 5, paddles, scorn, slash, and bazooka. when they could not overcome the warriors, the quintessons sent the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs in an attempts to kill the group, as they calculated the ecosystem would survive. by the present day, only a few remain alive, in deep stasis on earth, waiting to be revived. the only active member is paddles, who is the truth behind the legend of the lock ness monster.

8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I think they were always intended to be combiners...

9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Marvel.

Not mind blowing dumb, but not super intelligent. Also not super powerful as in the cartoon, but just very strong: Marvel Megatron (and Shockwave) is much stronger.

Also, I don't really care about the Dinobots being so huge. I think the toys rubbed off on me, because I don't need Dinobots to tower over Optimus.

10. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    The toy is based on the original power master design. I actually like him, a much better Optimus than the Combiner Wars or Titans return AstroTrain redeco.

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

It's not based on Powermaster Prime. Orion Pax looks nothing like the Powermaster cab and the larger robot is based on the usual Optimus Prime look not the Powermaster.

The only thing they have in common is crappy looking trailers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I have both. Orion transforms almost exactly like the original Power Master cab, and the trailers' sequences are similar as well. There are some cosmetic differences to be sure, and a few updated joints reflecting better toy design, but they're functionally identical.

13. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

As someone who loves dinosaurs as much as any human being, to me the most important aspect is that they have the alt modes and personalities of dinosaurs, or at the very least personalities I can imagine a theoretical talking (or non-talking in the case of the AoE Dinobots) dinosaur having.

And by "talking dinosaurs" I'm not talking about myna birds and parrots. I'm talking Mesozoic denizens.

The point is they need to have aspects, real or imagined, of the animals that inspired them in some way, shape, or form. Beyond that, I am open to a variety of interpretations. There is not a version of the Dinobots I don't love. Maybe I'm less fond of RiD Grimlock than the others, and even then it's not a big deal to me.

One thing I don't like though: I'm not a fan of them being built on Earth by Wheeljack in a lab. I'd rather them be Cybertronian or alien in origin. I'm even fine with their origins being unexplained. Dinosaurs, even with the huge leap in knowledge in recent decades, are still very poorly known compared to modern animals. It's also not like robots with alt modes resembling other animals in Transformers are often explained.

14. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    So like a robot version of the Sinclair family?

15. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Not at all. I meant more like dinosaur-like dinosaurs and not human-like dinosaurs. Maybe because I never really imagine dinosaurs, even fictional, speaking dinosaurs as being anything like the Sinclairs. I would never want the Dinobots, or any Transformers really, depicted as a stereotypical human-like family in a sit-com.

Nor did I mean any human imagination of dinosaurs in 21st and 20th Century fiction. Barney and Friends or Dinosaur Train? No way.

16. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'm just joshing with ya. ;) 

17. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

Really, I suppose my head canon has a combination of the original cartoon and the comics. Large and brutish, but not unintelligent. Like Lex79 said, barbarians.

18. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    "Me Grimlock no have cannon in me Grimlock's head!"

19. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal N/A

News Credits:
    Well, every iteration of the Dinobots basically speak for themselves. The one most open to interpretation is the cartoon G1. Personally, I think in season 1 & 2 they weren't fully sentient. Just kind of basic AI, which is why Megatron was able to easily trick them and why the Autobot would attempt to upgrade them. Then some time before the movie, they were given true sparks. Probably around the same time Megatron inscribed his hidden message on the Golded Disk, because the Autobots probably would have had to been winning and in control of Cybertron in order to access Vector Sigma to do it. Which is why in the movie and season 3 they're so child-like because they are basically children.

And I suspect that by the time the Beast Era rolled around they had matured. Although they probably keep the mannerisms like "Me Grimlock", not so much because they're dumb but more as an inside joke. Kind of like when people say stuff like "YOLO" ironically so much that eventually it just becomes part of their lexicon. And I guess it also makes their opponents underestimate them.

20. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

My Dinobots are essentially the Comics Incarnations.......they call Grimlock “Boss”, speak normally, and are a group the Decepticons have trouble matching them without Gestalts or Phase Sixers available