Dinobot Head Cannon

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rattrap Primal, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

when it comes to the Dinobots, how does everyone portray them? Primitive thinking, but freakishly powerful like the cartoon? Rebellious Anti Heroes only loosely affiliated and at times outlaws like in the comics and are actually smarter than the cartoon? As full on savages like the Live Action (soon to be rebooted, we hope) Movies?

I myself lately think of their comic incarnations......it’s easier

2. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Uncomplicated.

If the shortest path between two points is a line, why bother taking detours? The fact that you might trample someone on the way is more the fault of them not being smart enough to get out of the way. Solve the problem that is in front of you, worry about the next when it arrives. CAN they make a complicated plan to deal with an enemy? Yes, but if you can just smash them, why bother.

But at the Dinobots' collective core, they have good hearts. They tend to be more willing to go after the guys who need a good stomping rather than the ones living their lives. Sadly though, i don't think they'd do too well in peace time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    In my fanverse, I have the G1 Dinobots being used for the project that led to the creation of the Maximals by Perceptor. In doing so their bodies were reformatted (Fall of Cybertron designs), though the upgrade inadvertently made them wiser. Not like when Grimlock made a combiner smart, but more like normal level intelligence.

So basically like going from the Hulk to becoming more like Captain America. Aged war veterans continuing to fight for Cybertron in the post war era. Going after remaining holdouts of the former Decepticon Army, fighting against the rise of Predacon insurgents, and ultimately fighting against the Vehicon drones.

4. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

I always like dreamwaves take on Grimlock describing him as being intelligent but with a viral glitch that causes his trademark speech pattern

• Like Like x 5
  5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Perceptor creating the Maximals. Given Optimus Prime's belief that Perceptor should be his successor and given that Primal won the fan vote, I could see Perceptor becoming Primal.

They're both interested in science and exploration.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Once more:
    Canon.

Cannon is a weapon designed to project heavy objects at great speeds.

I've liked the Marvel comics version where they weren't the utter buffoons they were portrayed as in the cartoon show but instead were simply incapable of thinking on anything more than a surface level.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

It's fanverse time.

Generally, they are dumb, antisocial brutes. The quintessential Autobot thugs and examples of the lows the Autobots recruit when they need brute strength and durability.

They ended up getting captured by Shockwave. Shockwave proceeded to fry their brains more (making them lose their ability to speak properly) as the first step of mind control, before conducting a series of procedures experimenting in altering the basic alt forms (vehicle to beast.) Afterward, he turned them loose and Grimlock broke from mind control.

They got their alt modes tweaked by Wheeljack after the fact.

Slug is hostile, Grimlock is arrogant and aggressive, Swoop is insensitive, Sludge has less brains than a Vehicon drone and Snarl hates everyone. Their generally straightforward, stubborn personalities didn't make very many bots willing to give them a hand, and they unlikely to get help. Pretty much perfect targets to get captured and pulled apart.

Their personalities change after being restored by Vector Sigma following the return of Titans and Prime Masters and being reprogrammed by the Enigma of Combination. Still generally dumb, but back to their initial intellect (while still having a speech impediment.) Grimlock becomes rather fond of guns in place of swords, especially ones taken from slain enemies and often times tries to spout one liners, most of which are nonsensical. Swoop gets grouchier because he can finally comprehend the events which transpired. Slug sort of stays Slug — hostile, brash and arrogant, although now resembling Dinobot 1.0 Grimlock more in demeanor. Sludge starts feeling creative. Snarl becomes more in tune with himself, others and grows to enjoy Linkin Park. The latest addition, Slash, is nihilistic, territorial, moody, and oddly cheerful. Their streak of rebellion and brutishness does not end there. However, the reformat left the Dinobots less durable.

TL;DR. My interpretation Dinobots are rebellious, antisocial brutes who get along with few people and are overall rather brainless. They would have gotten themselves killed/captured ten times over if it weren't for how physically tough they are.

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Comics...are my inspiration...Lightning Strike Coalition members...loose Autobot affiliation...they use their brains when necessary...Grimlock being the brightest of the bunch...save for Skar (team medic)...who I've yet to find a suitable represntation of...Splash/Paddles (an eventual customized AOE Sludge) & Swoop are of above average intelligence...Slash is a bit more average...Snarl, Sludge & Slag aren't the brightest...

9. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    I've preferred their FoC portrayal since debut. Anti-hero brutes with slightly stunted personalities. Never been fond of the "caveman" dynamic. Scorn, like Grimlock is an ex-Con, though more recent since he helped experiment on the LSC until Shockwave needed more participants. Slash was used to test an artificial hive mind from being cloned, resulting in the worst of limited brain functions. She acts more raptor than bot. After tjeir escape Shockwave tried again, this time with Decepticons and combiner technology resulting in the Dinocons and Dinoking.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

I just go by official canon unless we're talking about toy only Dinobots.

My head Canon for Slash totally ignores the toy bio. Instead HE is the original form of BW Dinobot, same personality and everything. The first Dinobot built with intelligence. He's the creation of the Technobots. They use him as a prototype to upgrade all the other Dinobots making them more intelligent combiners. At some point the original five are killed in battle, Slash changes his name to Dinobot to honor his fallen team, even more later, BW Megatron kills the Decepticons responsible for the Dinobots death which convinces Dinobot/Slash to join his Predacons.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Personally I'm not a fan of the Perceptor is Optimus Primal idea. I like having an large universe, so better off just being two separate characters in two different eras. Besides, Perceptor would had known about Starscream. Instead Primal had to be given details about the character from Dinobot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    The comic incarnations have always been the better portrayal.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It depends on which Continuity. I wouldn't portray the Movie Dinobots with Marvel-level intelligence, nor dumb down say the IDW characters.

I don't need to have one over-arching interpretation that supersedes all others.

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'm not really a fan of either character to be honest. I wasn't happy seeing Primal win the fan vote. The fan votes gave us Windblade, Victorion and the Mirage vs Impactor set, none of which I like.

It should have been Thunderwing especially given the smaller bot with armour trend we currently have would be perfect for him.

Speaking of which, do we need another Optimus Prime toy especially with the hideous Orion Pax? Giving him his usual robot mode as the larger bot looks wrong consider his torso is based on the cab yet is jarringly larger.

They should have done Powermaster Prime and his cab instead AND Ultra Magnus, the original armoured Transformer.

15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    In the Sunbow canon all the Dinobots had nearly the same personality.

Personally, I enjoy a nice mixture of the Comic portrayal and their G1 Tech specs. They each had a distinct personality and purpose.

16. LateNights

LateNights Active Member

I'd say it depends on what form they're currently in - dino form requiring increased energon usage for battle leaves little for higher thought processes...

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    BW Megatron has a neat Tyrannosaurus head cannon.

Regarding canon, I think they are generally treated as outsiders due to their raging fearsome beast modes, and I think they are of average/above average intelligence but their animal instincts take control too easily, similar to a Jekyll/Hyde persona.

18. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Like a turd, in the wind

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Grimlock hates the Color Green.

19. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Smart.

Terse.

When speaking, use only necessary words.

Bit like Rorschach.

• Like Like x 1
  20. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Did any of the Dinobots have cannons on their head? I know Lockdown did in AOE.

Terse is a good word to describe how I'd treat them. I don't want them planarian worm level unintelligent, but I don't want them to be Perceptor either.