Dinobot - combiners?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Veritechnium, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veritechnium

Veritechnium Well-Known Member

I always thought the dinobots could be one cool combiner team - if they added another bot of course. Prime seemed to use them a lot against Decepticon combiners (wether he thought they were strong enough or stupid enough is debatable) and I always thought that was a way to highlight that the dinobots were devastatingly (pardon the pun) strong. What do you all think? Dinobot combiners?

2. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

you should see ZapDragons Avatar and custom made Dinobot Combiner.. its pretty kewl and he did it with all 5 of them

3. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they dont need another bot...theres already 5 of em. But that would mean YET ANOTHER grimlock, and depending whats gonna happen with "Heroes" There might not be any beast based TF. It would be cool, but I would prefer some Stunticons!!

4. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Oh if it was a classic’s dinobot combiner I would be all of it, a mega sized grimlock at the core, maybe with swoops wings coming off and locking on to the back like divebomb’s predaking, could kick so much ass.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
  6. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

7. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

8. Veritechnium

Those designs are pretty bad ass! Has definite potential. I forgot there were 5 of them, thy're not all on screen at the same time too often thats why I lost count.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've always hated the idea of the Dinobots combining...what made them cool is that they DIDN'T need to combine to kick ass.

10. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Yep, same here! The simple fact that they were nearly unbeatable WITHOUT being a combiner always made them that much more awesome for me!:thumb 

11. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    god that thing is sweet...

12. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Cool idea, but unnecessary. Particullarly after Metroplex and Omega Supreme came into the picture.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought the idea of combining Dinobots was a neat one, but ultimately, I believe I'm happier that they don't, especially knowing now some of the compromises required to pull it off. Doesn't seem that likely we'll see a combiner comparable in size to Predaking anytime soon anyway.

14. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    i was gonna start a new thread for this, but then i seen this one. i was looking at my classics grimlock and noticed something... he has a peg, very simulare to the kind of pegs that the old g1 combiners used to have. its located on his back, i know the instructions say that its for weapons storage, but why would you need to have a peg come directly out of the back of a transformer just to hold his gun when you could very easyly have him hold it in his hand or simply have a hole for the gun "handle" to go into, and given the way he transforms i could see him becoming an arm, having the dinosaur head become the hand.

my first thought was, maybe hasbro is testing the waters and waiting to see if the classics line takes off or not and if so maybe they'll release the other dinobots, and as an added bonus, if you were lucky enough to have bought wave one grimlock you could combine him with the others to form a larger robot, kinda like the constructicons do... but then again i seem to have a very overactive imagination.

anyways just a thought, what are your thoughts on this?

15. Veritechnium

True, thats why I liked them as well, but this is after all just a 'wouldn't it be cool' thing.

16. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    As cool as I think the Dinobot combiner concept is that the guy from Iacon City did, I agree, I'm much happier that the Dinobot's didn't combine either. I think it would have been a predictable easy-out if they ever decided to do it.

That said, I do love the idea of more Dinobots being added to the mix. The 2 new ones that Iacon City came up with (Slam & Slash) fit in shockingly well with the other guys and very much keep the G1 aesthetic. What's better is that he designed them in a way that they *could* be made into workable toys if Hasbro ever wanted to use them (yeah yeah I know... they can't because they're licensed Diaclone's blah blah blah). Just saying is all :) 

17. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Re: Dinobot gestalt

The warrior's name was Tyrannoking. Apparantly according to fan fiction, in this form he was so savage that even Grimlock shuddered at the prospect of forming him. As he was also uncontrolable and would attack Autobot and Decepticon with the same savagery

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a fan comic insert with the UK TFTM DVD by Metronome IIRC. A UK member can correct me on that if I'm wrong. What I posted were 2 scans from said comic. If their's more to it then what I postedm I can't find it.

This was one of the few things I remember seeing back in the day when I started getting back into TFs. I had a thing for the fan comics

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

The whole notion of a dinobot combiner is such an uber-fangasm that it somehow ends up being lame. I mean, it's cool... but there's something even cooler about having a team of five TFs who DON'T happen to combine as well.

My take on the Dinos was always that they were the unit of hard-case autobots who actually DID like to fight. They were too volatile and insubordinate to mix in with the other troops, but too good at their job to imprison.

Heck, maybe they were even criminals before the war, but rose to the autobot cause when the need was there... sort of like mafia guys who got patriotic in WWII. "I may be a crook, but I'm an -American- crook, not no stinkin' Nazi!"... that kind of thing. :) 

Anyway, the thing that makes them so tough is their individual power, and the way they work together as a team. I always saw the Dinos as a sort of anti-Combiner weapon.

Looking at TF history, they've had mixed results. Obviously, on the TV show, the Dinos were way tough... maybe too tough. In the comics, the five of them put a hurting on Trypticon, but didn't stand a chance against Megatron or Shockwave... likewise, Megs beat Predaking by himself as well. I always liked that sort of mythic power wielded by the top-level Decepticon Commanders... but it makes it kind of hard to judge where other powerhouse characters stand.

On the additional Dinos... while I like the idea of keeping the dinos to a group of 5, I also like the idea of the Ankylosaurus and the Velociraptor. Interesting that on the old TF MUSHs, there actually were two more Dinos of these types... Stomp and Slash, I think. (I like "Slam" better though).

Not big on the Tyrannoking design in that fan comic. Interesting idea, but I don't like the look at all.

zmog

19. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I still haven’t seen a dinobot combiner that has a name that really fits with them, monstrous and tyranoking seem a little to pretty for them, the name have to much class almost, I figured if there combined form even had a name it would be simple like the dinobots names them selves, berserker, wreaker, gore, maul, not sure if they even work that well but they do have more of the dinobot feel to them.

20. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't like the Tyrannoking name either. Too ripped off from Predaking (which, for the record, is another name I never really liked either). I don't mind Monstrous, though. Seems fitting enough. Originally he was named Dinoking, but it got changed to Monstrous probably for the same reason: sounded too much like Predaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.