Dilemma: Sell New Super Mario Bros., or keep it?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by thefrozenred, Aug 10, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    So, I've had NSMB for my DS Lite for about a month or so. Unfortunately, I beat it by the end of my first week of ownership...and that was with deliberate, intentional procrastination. I've gotten about 3/4s of all the large golden coins, unlocked and beaten all the worlds and levels...and now I feel like there's nothing left to DO in the game.

(a) There's no compelling story or other significant gameplay features...that's what I liked about it, that it was so very straightforward, but now it just means that there's no replay value in it for me.

(b) There's no Nintendo WiFi connection which, to be honest, held a treasure trove of potential multiplayer games. Like Mario vs. Luigi on the same course, racing to not only finish it first but also collecting stars. Or a NWC-version of the built in multiplayer game, with more than 2 players. I mean, it's ridiculous.

(c) In the past week, I have played all 4 of my other DS games with friends (Metroid, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Tetris). I haven't touched NSMB in, literally, weeks.

However, there's also one very good counterpoint that I can't deny:

Being Mario, it's the mascot title for the DS. Like Mario on NES, SNES, and N64, I feel like it SHOULD be a part of my DS library...as retarded as that may sound.

In any case, I'm hoping to get some input on the matter. It'd be appreciated. :) 

2. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I beat the fuck out of it within 2 days, I then started getting nit picky. Then I saw that it was still pulling in $20 in Credit at EB and traded it in.

3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    If it has no replay value for you, trade it in while it's still hot.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could always go back through it as Luigi

5. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Luigi plays the exact same as Mario. That isn't replayability, that's a cosmetic choice.

But I suggest you COMPLETE the game (IE, get all the coins, unlock all the worlds, etc) before you take it back. Remember kids, BEATING and COMPLETING are two different things.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Does Beating and Completing apply to masturbation too?

7. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Keep it just stop playing for a few months and it will be enjoyable again. Most Super mario Bros. games are like this.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, word. It's so much fun to come back to the old NES ones for that very reason.

9. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I completed off last night.

10. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    :peoples:  Ooooooooookay....

As for the game, I say keep it.

Or you can give it to me, along with a new DS. :p 

11. PMPrime

PMPrime Made of sterner stuff...

It's a Mario game...a side scrolling one at that. Once you beat it, yeah that's about it.
    Every 2D Mario takes a couple hours to beat at the most either through warps or not. I never even considered trading in or selling or even letting anyone BORROW my Mario games because they have limitless replay value. Wanna play for a minute, hour or beat the game...you can do it and it's still going to be enjoyable.
    If for some reason you don't enjoy it anymore trade it in, sell it or whatever, but I'll never understand where you're coming from because Mario games are made to be picked up, played, enjoyed and put away for a rainy day.
    If you're looking for story, why'd you pick up the game in the first place?
    Any Mario 2D side scroller is amazing fun. I still play Mario 1, 2, 3 and World from time to time and I've beaten them countless times, doesn't make it any less enjoyable.
    If I were you, I'd keep it. However, if you don't like it anymore period then trade it or just give it to me. lol

12. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    o_o;; If you can complete than that's a serious issue...unless you go numb from too much repetive motion, like playing Marvel vs Capcom 2

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

My rule: Never get rid of an enjoyable game.

I mean, its a good Mario game!! like it was said earlier, you can play for a minute or an hour if you want to give it a shot at beating it.

14. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    honestly trade it in while its worth some money because if you ever do wanna play it again it'll be like $5 because everybody will eventually trade it in.

15. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have you tried challenge mode?
    Challenge Mode [Press L,R,L,R,X,X,Y,Y on map screen's start menu. Must have beaten the game first.]

16. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Secret Challenge Mode
    While paused on the map, press L R L R X X Y Y to enter the secret Challenge mode. You will now be unable to go back to an area that has scrolled off the screen while playing a level. This cheat only works after you finish the game

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

what is challenge mode?

18. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Read what I posted...?

19. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    See, the Challenge mode is interesting to me.

As far as beating/completing the game: I've got it 3/4s complete, and without any reward aside from the new wallpapers, I'm not compelled to complete it. There's no payoff.

And as far as PMPrime's remark about story, etc: read my post. :)  I said that I picked it up BECAUSE it was easy to get into, and lighthearted; however, that's also the reason why I have some difficulty finding replay value in it, because it lacks anything deeper.

20. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Personally, I find "deep" games to be the ones that are not replayable. For me, replay value lies in the simple, easy to pick up games. Those are the ones I keep indefinitely because I know I'll play through them over and over again over the years. But, different strokes for different folks I guess.