Digitalscape Reveals Transformers: Prime CGI Details

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, May 7, 2010.

1. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    I'll be very curious to see what the toys look like. Heck, I'm curious to see what any of it will look like beyond Bumblebee's head and right shoulder.

2. TwinSpin

TwinSpin Hot Coffeebot

I think it's all about target audience. WFC targets older G1 fans who want an intense shoot'em up game. TF:p rime targets the movie audience. From a $ standpoint they'd be nuts not to homage the movie style - which was so successful financially. Let's be glad that the show is allowed to stylize and IMHO improve the busy movie aesthetic. I'm hopeful.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well this puts me in a tough spot to decide exactly how I feel.

On one hand the movie designs just don't appeal to me at all. From that perspective I could easily say pass on the cartoon because while hate might be too strong of a word for it I come very close to hating the movie design for characters like Starscream.

But then on the other hand I really liked the stylized look of Animated so there would be plenty of reasons to get excited about something along those lines for the cartoon. While not the perfect look for characters like Starscream I just really liked the look of some of the Animated characters.

Then to muddy the waters even more I just don't like the hybrid look in the comic books, but I really like the hybrid toys like Seaspray and Bludgeon.

I guess the mood is confused since I don't know to be happy or to be sad about this news.

4. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    That's fine, but I don't see why a kid that likes the movies wouldn't like designs like what WFC is offering.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Ugh, the style is a cross between my two least favorite aestetics. Looks like yet another TF cartoon I'll be skipping. Lame.

6. OptimusMagnus3

OptimusMagnus3 Well-Known Member

Hmmm? A cross between the Movie series and Animated?

SOLD! This is going to be AWESOME!

7. TwinSpin

TwinSpin Hot Coffeebot

They probably would, but it's risk management - and an unknown in the boardrooms. G1 aesthetic perceived as retro cool, but the look of Prime and Bumblebee in the movies = $$$$. Hollywood isn't based on, "People will probably like..." It's based on "People better damn well like or us executives get fired when it tanks". This is why so few original properties get produced these days versus established franchises. Like it or not, Movie bumblebee is a franchise to Hollywood- not G1.

If Bay had homaged the G1 characters better, this would not be an issue. Personally I think there is an incredibly wide spectrum of what audiences would have accepted for the bots, design wise. But Bay made his choice, and now what he decided on is "bankable". We are stuck with it - but let's rejoice that the creators of TF Prime were able to interpret and hopefully improve the Bay designs...

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see why try when they KNOW that movie will work.

Plus are they so different? The only real difference I see is the more g1-ney designs and the fatness, and i dont even know if making some of the robots fat is part of the style.

9. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I love Animated, but I hate the movie style. I hope they can fight the temptation to give everyone goat legs.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Interesting. I thought about the "hybrid" style too when I saw the Bumblebee design. A mixture of the Animated and Movie aesthetics produces and interesting look.

11. Ash from Carolina

I guess the question is though how much more life do the films have in them? Even a hot movie franchise like Batman can be wrecked by a film like Batman and Robin. Just seems like it's a bit to bank the cartoon on if Transformers 3 can beat that Hollywood curse of bad third films or franchises that loose their luster but limp on to a bad fourth film.

12. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    I'm really not a pure Geewunner, even though I grew up with them, but I just think that the movie designs were just too damn busy for the sake of looking complex and alien.

The WFC designs, whilst they are admittedly very G1-ish, just seem more coherent to me visually. People dig what they dig, and that's cool, I'm just not much of a Bay-movie-design fan.

They're OK to me, at best, where the WFC designs are more what I personally go for in a re-worked/re-booted TF aesthetic.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

So the character designs in TF: Prime will be a mix of the Movie and Animated designs? Interesting...

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yes please!

Now if they told me there'd be Beast Wars-style writing or directing to it I'd faint.

Well, not really. But I'd love it. Then they'd be combining my three favourite series' togther.

15. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This sounds very cool actually. It's also going to annoy alot of "fans" which is also very cool.

16. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    Annoyed Transformer fans are always funny when they criticize shows intended for 8-year-olds. :D 

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if a bad movie would really change how much kids recognize the movie Bee design.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    According to that one interview with Takara, Animated has influenced ALL their design work since, so that's not surprising to me. Stylizing the CGI to make up for the inability to maintain the photoreal movie quality is also not surprising, and a positive step.

I like the direction this is going (what little we know of it) so far. As long as the writing and story work are more reminiscent of late Beast Wars or Animated than of the "Cyber Missions," I think we are in for a treat.

(I specify "late" because I'm not sure this look lends itself as well to being overtly comedic, esp. if they are targeting kids who have familiarity with the movies. Which were jokey at times, but not in a "Bumblebee plays too many video games" kind of way.)

19. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I personally don't like the movie look. I was really looking forward to this new series since it's CG. but since that pic of bumblebee came, It brought me down a few notches. They should have gone with the video game "war for Cybertron" was the new animated series. That would have been much cooler.

20. Ash from Carolina

If the writing is like that then it's a win for just about everyone Hasbro is out to target. Something fun that kids could enjoy watching, but something with enough depth that adults could enjoy it as well.

It's rather nice that some places grasp that animation is for more than just kids so it should be interesting to see just where Hasbro can take the characters and the stories now that they have their own network instead of having to please some other network before they can please the kids and Hasbro's older fans.