Digital switch delayed 4 months or more... why my picturebox no work?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jorod74, Jan 28, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    (i was hoping to avoid political debate. just wondering why we aren't moving ahead with new tech.)

Been reading that the government is delaying the HD switch for at least 4 months, even till June.

I don't get it. why?
    Down in my backwoods, we still have towns without indoor plumbing, we have heard about the switch and what is needed. Ad Nauseum, every damn commercial break like those "High School Reunion" promos.

But now, it is given as an excuse to delay that the coupon program ran outta money, old people don't understand the change, they don't realize HD signals are Line of Sight broadcasts, etc.

I call BS.

After over a year of being offered coupons for free boxes, people getting them and then letting them expire, or people not reacting because according to the ads, with Satellite or Cable- which almost every body has now- You don't have to upgrade your tv, The change should come NOW.

Hey, a boat starts sinking and you are told to abandon the boat, you get off or you sink with it.
    that simple.

I have heard their explanation of why the delay, it just doesn't make sense to me.

aren't we ready for the change to HD?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It doesn't have anything to do with HD. The transmission signals are switching from analog to digital, which isn't the same thing as HD. But yes, it's stupid that they're delaying it. We've had YEARS to prepare for this. I was explaining this shit to people 8 years ago when I worked at Best Buy. It's going to be painful for some people, but it's going to be painful in June too. We need to just do it and get it over with.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Got to make sure the old people and the rednecks don't lose the talking picture box

4. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

They've been planning the switch to digital for OVER A DECADE now.

However, most people don't understand worth a shit about the digital change. A lot of folks I know think they have to throw their old sets out and get new ones, which is partly because they don't understand technology, partly because the FCC has done a shit ass job explaining it to them, and largely because TV manufacturers and salespeople are actually telling people they have to do so.

5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'm still not sure why we need to have an all digital movement anyway. Some people don't give a crap what their TV looks like, or how it gets there, just that it does.

I miss the days when you turned on a TV and just watched it. Now there's converters, component cables, HDMI, tuners, etc.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Its so the government can use the broadcasting signals they use now for other things.

Yeah, it was so nice when there were only 2 channels :rolleyes: 

7. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    That's the most exciting part to the conversion: the unused parts of the spectrum can be used for potentially new services. Google had a white space proposal, which I haven't been following, but seemed interesting. Hopefully though, whatever happens, the frequencies won't solely be reserved for the current media/broadband providers who seem content to sit on their old technologies and milk them for profits rather than invest in new projects.

8. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    yeah I heard about this and I thought it was so stupid for the delay, UGH

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

It was rhetorical, actually.
    Don't be mouthy.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Its just like the "Millenium Bug", the ignorant leading the ignorant.

Analog to Digital, has nothing to do with HD its odd that connection was made, evil sales people.

11. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    So... for this change to Digital... all I would need is a converter, right?

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yup...

...and i think people confuse it with HD is the word "digital"

when Comcast first came out with the digital channels, i thought those were HD channels...but it was just channels through another means...

13. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    HD means High Definition.

HD just makes the digital channels look prettier, thats roughly it.

14. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    You only need a converter if your television set doesn't have a built-in digital tuner already. (Most all of the new televisions of the past few years have these.) Basically, if you have an analog set and use an antenna for television, then you'll need a converter.

15. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

House of Representatives just voted against the delay. The original February date is still on.

16. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice.

So am I right to assume the date was going to be pushed back in order to come up with more money for those Digital Tuner coupons? I read something ridiculous like "the $1.34 billion limit on the coupons was reached." For real?? We're spending over a billion tax dollars on COUPONS?!?!

Since when did Television become the Right Of All Sentient Beings? I understand how emergency broadcasts, etc. are helpful, but isn't that why we still have radios? It's not like the government gave out coupons to buy TVs when we began airing Analog TV signals in the 1930s... :rolleyes2 

17. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Man, I've been ready for this since 2000 when I first started hearing wind of it. And again, when I updated my cable package in 2003.

People have had plenty of time. Why give them more. Losing their broadcast might actually make them get off their ass, get the voucher, and buy a converter box. But, then again, that's me giving the general public waaaay too much credit...

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I actually don't understand it either. I have Cox cable and I see commercials like this (paraphrased):

"You don't have to do anything to switch to Digital. If you are seeing this commercial, it means Cox will do the switch for you, without a fee."

Does that mean I just sit still? No converter box needed? Honestly, my plan at the moment is just to see if my cable goes dead one day. Then I'll know...

19. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

What I want to know is when did we start treating TV as a right and not a luxury?

I think it's ridiculous that our tax dollars are going to pay for converter boxes.

20. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who can :horse:  first?
    I'm up!

Since you have cable you do not have to do anything. If you have bunny ears on your TV and are picking up an over-the-air signal, you will notice that signal disappear in February. In that case, go buy a $40 converter, or wait until they get cheaper. Since you have cable, you will continue to get TV through the cable company, thus you will not have to do anything.

The part that has been confusing me is that regular cable (not Fios or Satellite or anything) comes in an Analog format (supposedly converted from Analog to Digital in some cases, but back to Analog before reaching your house). I was expecting to see a change when the whole country goes "digital," but I've heard nothing will change for cable users. I was expecting my stations not to be converted to Analog, but sent out directly as Digital signals. Mind you, I am talking strictly Cable here... I know that I will be able to retrieve Digital stations over-the-air in February. Here's my main point: won't this mean you can get Digital stations for free over-the-air? And the Cable stations I am currently paying for will be fuzzy, crappy Analog stations? Why should I still pay for cable?