Fan Art: Digital Illustration - Line Art - Stuff or PC?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Nov 6, 2010.

?

When you illustrate line art, do you prefer to use:

1. pencil/pen+paper (traditional mediums);

85.7%
  2. stylus+pad (technological mediums); or

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. both (no real preference of one over the other)

14.3%
  1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-fan-art/336220-concubine-swarm.html#

Hey guys, in light of Altitron's thread and experiencing a bit of this myself over the years, I figured I'd see what you all thought of this topic.

One of the greatest tools for artists to come along since the pencil has been the computer. It's enabled us to speed up processes that would take a LOT of hours before (talk to someone who has had to actually type set for a publication, and then come if you have no clue about this!). Two devices that have came along to aid the artist specifically have been the stylus[+pad] and the scanner. The stylus gives the artist a simulated feeling like the pencil that's ever so familiar and works as a typical mouse would in most cases. A scanner is very helpful as well, as before where an artist would have to white out a mistake (or often scrap a whole illustration altogether), once imported into an art program these mistakes are generally easy to fix.

With the advent of technology still comes with it the addition of new things and the loss of some old. Even with scanning an illustration (generally for the use to color it via an art program) comes at the expense of having a physical piece of hand-drawn and colored work. While that's good for spatial concerns, there are still persons out there who really appreciate the work of a fine artist and the physicality of said artwork. Also, there comes with the addition of technology a new skill set to be learned.

Personally, I still scan things in for the most part, and color digitally when I work with illustrations. I enjoy the bit of randomness that comes with a line not made by a computer program. There's a raw aspect about it I enjoy. I do really like all of the conveniences that computer art has allowed for us as well.

What are your thoughts?

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Pencil & paper (bristol board/sketch pad)

I'd love to try the other someday though.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't stand the disconnect. A buddy of mine draws she-hulk and has a cintiq and still prefers penciling by hand.

I have no choice as my work is one offs (talk about working hard for the money). I would, if I could afford a cintiq (cause this graphire III ain't cutting it) do pencil roughs and layouts digital. Since I am aiming to just pencil inking is not something I worry about but if I did it'd be physical because of art sales.

Nothing wrong with digital. Just another tool and like tools some prefer to use different ones. We all work differently and if we all worked the same it'd be pretty boring :) 

4. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I actually prefer to /draw/ traditionally, with a pencil on a piece of paper. I prefer to color digitally, though. I distinctly remember getting my hands on a copy of Photoshop 6.0 back in '98 or so... ah, the wonder years. :p 

I've only recently begun pushing myself to create a piece of art entirely within the art program itself. After following a handful of artists for years it seems to be the industry standard these days. That is not to say that traditional skill is being overlooked, because there a plenty of successful artists that still do things the old fashioned way, such as Frank Frazetta (RIP!), Joe Jusko, Boris, etc. And clients and companies still value these skills. In any event, an artist needs a solid foundation. Learning these more traditional forms of art build that foundation much better than I think than foregoing them and making the digital leap right out of the gate. Why do you think these more traditional methods are still taught in art school? And in your first two years, no less.

I think E. J. Su's work is what finally got me into this most recent practice. He is a fine penciller in his own right, but his colors are a thing of beauty. I love seeing his work when /he/ colors it - specifically, his Revelations covers. The entire piece is devoid any traditional inked line work.

- Alty

5. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I'm not an accomplished artist by any means, but I like to use both.

I've tried to use the stylus and tablet to draw my lines, but I've found its a poor replacement for physical penciling. There is a more dynamic look I find to an image penciled the old fashioned way.

I have even given up on the tablet and prefer to use the touch pad on my laptop to finger paint my images. The tablet is just an input device and I feel that I'm a bit disconnected from the piece if I'm drawing using one. That said I've found it a good way to create quite unique pieces, which I could not do with pencil ink and paper.

I like to use software to colour my drawings, taking hand drawn elements to create a finished piece. I feel that I have more control using GIMP with my pictures than if I was to do it by hand. Also it's a great space saver as I don't need a stock of paints, markers, pastels, all of which take up a lot of room and cost a bomb. I can open up my laptop and start working away with no need to left my head.

Now as an example I've attached two drawings of mine which I think illustrate my point. One is an image that I coloured to the best of my ability with pencils and the other is the same picture which I imported into GIMP and recoloured. I feel these programs are more forgiving to the novice.

Attached Files: