Digital Camera question?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by yodafett, Jan 12, 2012.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Have a digital camera question for any gurus/geeks out there.

I'm looking at surprising my wife with a new digital camera. Her current one is like 9 years old and a 3.5 megapixel Fuji.

She played with my sister's Canon Eos Rebel T2i over the holidays and really liked it, but it's (quite) a bit more than she needs. I'm thinking something in the 10-12 megapixel range, maybe a SLR/point & click hybrid I heard about?

Essentially, she has a natural eye, but needs some development in her skills to get where she wants, so a nice-ish camera, but with a training wheels optional, if that makes sense? lol

Are there any recommendations?

2. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    At the moment, I'm kind of looking at the Canon SX40 HS...

3. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    wow, no one? I thought there were some photo-philes on here...

4. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Get in touch with TFareCool. He's your man. TJ Duckett is also good.

5. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Thanks!

Off Topic: LOVE the Sig! :) 

6. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

The t2i/550d is likely the best choice for a beginner/entry level SLR. I have a Nikon d3100, but it's definitely more for the enthusiastic amateur, whereas Canons provide more options and adjustments when one becomes better acquainted with the esoteric technobabble that confounds many beginners. Canons are also leagues better for video, and since I've recently become interested in videography, I regret getting a D3100 instead of a t2i. The t3i is generally as good as entry-level cameras get, but I'd hold off buying any body right now just in case the price drops when new bodies are announced, which I would guess would be sometime soon.

Mirrorless cameras such as the Olympus Pen and Panasonic Lumix series are the closest thing to the point-and-shoot/SLR hybrid that you were talking about - they offer interchangeable lenses while keeping the bodies and overall dimensions between the size of a large PAS and small SLR. The smaller sensors mean that they can't get as much depth-of-field ("blurry areas") as SLRs, but they provide many more control options than PAS. The Pen series is also incredibly stylish, which your wife would probably like. The Canon S90 series consists of high quality PASs that you should also consider.

Every camera within $1500 will likely have enhanced auto modes, but I and most other photogs generally advise to wean away from those auto and "scene" modes and start learning rules of exposure/composition asap. Megapixels don't matter - you'd have to quadruple the megapixel count just to double the linear resolution, so don't discredit certain models just because of a small difference in MP count.

7. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Best bet Yoda? Post your question here, there's a ton of info to be had there and a bunch of cool, knowledgable guys (and gals) who would be more then happy to help you.