Digimon Frontier: Hybrid Digivolving Susanoomon Review/Pics

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Paladin, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I liked Digimon Frontier.

I know a lot of people would throw stones at me for such a statement but I really think it's a good show; a much-needed step in a different direction for everyone's favorite animated virtual pets.

Some background-Frontier uses a radically different approach to the Digimon formula, summoning humans to the digital world to control the spirits of the Legendary Warriors and transform into heroes.

Midway through the series, when all ten Legendary Warrior Spirits are unlocked, Frontiers' primary fighters receive an upgrade of sorts to their powers, combining multiple Spirits into a much greater combat form.

Takuya, better known as "Gogglehead the Fourth" receives the Spirits of Wood, Ice, Wind, and Earth in addition to his own Flame Spirits to trigger transformation into-

[​IMG]

EmperorGreymon! Or "KaiserGreymon" if you prefer the originals. This impressive armored form is a great close-combat fighter; the armor pieces are well sculpted and most of them hold in place very well- though a few of the smaller bits are prone to popping off.

EmperorGreymon is armed with the Dragon Soul Sword!

[​IMG]

A massive blade that can also summon flaming projectiles to hurl at enemies. It might in fact be TOO massive; the figure can't hold it all that well. A small notch or something in the handle to peg it into place would've worked wonders here.

At the same time, Koji (a.k.a. "the angsty one") charges his Spirit of Light alongside the Spirits of Thunder, Steel, Water and Darkness to form-

[​IMG]

MagnaGarurumon! A heavily armored fighter with an incredible arsenal of weapons. The multitude of guns hamper the articulation level, but there is an easy solution for this!

[​IMG]

MagGaru can ditch the battle armor to perform quick melee attacks. I really like this form too; maybe because it bears a passing resemblance to Doggie Kruger from my favorite Sentai series.

Now, casual observers my notice a resemblance between these two and the strongest fighters from the very first Digimon Adventure years earlier. Well, the creative team did not shy away from this connection and added one more Super Combination!

[​IMG]

SUSANOOMON! The ultimate fusion of the Legendary Spirits, and winner of "most difficult to comprehend name" in this franchise.

Anyway, the blending of elements is really well done in this combo- the various armor pieces create a very visually impressive figure with plenty of articulation to boot.

Susanoomon has his own unique weapon, the Celestial Blade-

[​IMG]

A weapon so massively oversized and overpowered it probably makes City Commander jealous. Susanoomon can't even hold the damn thing; it has to rest on a stand! Still, I Must give credit to the developers for finding a way to make a working weapon out of all the leftover armor pieces.

The Hybrid Digivolving Susanoomon set is now probably the rarest item in Digimon merchandise; release was canceled in nearly all marketplaces and remaining copies are few and far between. This has been my biggest Holy Grail for quite a while now and I am beyond happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Whoa you have it! I had kaiser Greymon but the armour just wouldnt stay on so I sold it (to someone on these boards in fact). Always found Magne Garurumon extremely expensive. Susanoomon doesnt look great to me so I'm not too bothered about selling it. I do hope They make D-Arts of Kaisergreymon.

How much did you get them for?

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Probably way too much. :p  But I'd never have forgiven myself if I passed on the opportunity for them.

I've put clear tape around some of the pegs on the armor; it helps it stay on better.

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I tried to like the series but it just bored me :( . And then basically all the fighting was done by Kouji and Takuya near the end since everyone else pooled their own Spirit Armours to form the Kaiser Greymon and Magne Garurumon. But I do like their designs though (reason I got Kaisergreymon way back) :) .