Difficulty levels...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by eyeballkid, Oct 23, 2009.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I hate them. NES didn't have them. (except Mega Man 2, possibly a few more) I think it made the games better. But with all of the popular remakes coming out, difficulty levels have become redundant. Fuck that! Why not just design 1 kind of game, and use the extra space to include more levels, or characters?

Miyamoto has always understood this, why not others?

2. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Are you serious? The NES has some of the hardest games I've ever played.

As for todays abundant suck it probably has to do with people looking to make a quick buck rather than actually caring about the games they make. Also if people will buy shit then why make something that actually takes effort?

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I meant actually having the option to chose how hard the game is. (Contra 3, for example)

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You do realize that generally speaking difficulty levels just change some very simple parameters like how much damage you do, how much damage you can take etc, right?

The extra space could be used to include maybe 1 - 2 lines of text. Woooooo

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Because if every game had only a "easy" or "hard" people would get bored or pissed off within a day.

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I did not know that, but still, it just seems to me that games without difficulty levels are designed better. I'm sure it has alot to do with what genre the game is in, the guitar games are better with it, obviously...but games like Mario, Metroid, and Zelda have never had difficulty levels, and they are classics. I am not trying to be a Nintendo fanboy, it is just that those games came to mind.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah. Beleive it or not, not everyone has the same abilities to play video games. Some are just good at getting into it. Others take time. Multiple difficulties allow for a larger demographic and don't isolate people just because they can't match the game's preset difficulty.

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the choice of difficulty in video games. Lets more people play their own speed, so to say.

9. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Difficulties in games have often been used also as a way to reward the player through unlockables(cheats/weapons/costumes/levels/upgrades/movies/info/etc.) which can only be unlocked by playing a game at a harder difficulty level.

Take Rare's Perfect Dark or Goldeneye 64 for example. Those games are both notorious for unlockables obtained only by completing levels at higher difficulty levels and/or under time limits.

10. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Most NES games were either "insanely hard" or "childish" difficulties, so I don't think they're a great example.

And as was said, they're actually a good thing for games in general. Someone who wouldn't be able to enjoy a game on its normal difficulty can knock it down one, and suddenly it's a great game for them too. Do they not deserve to play the game because they don't have the same skills as someone who's been playing for their entire life? That might be debatable, but I don't think it's fair.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Ghost and Goblins is an excellent example of an NES with Insane difficultly it and its remakes are noted for there hair pulling, swear word inventing level of difficulty

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I dont think having a difficutly option reflects at how well a game is.

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    That's why I play so much TF2, its only as difficult as the enemy team's skill.

14. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

You do realize that the only reason most NES games had insane difficulty levels was to mask the fact that they are incredibly short, right? I like difficulty levels because it actually adds replay value for me.

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Without being able to adjust difficulty, My video game collection would have been reduced by almost 2/3.

And I played games like Jackal and Gun.Smoke on the NES and swore like Ralphie did in "A Christmas Story" so much my parents were dumbfounded.

Honestly, there are only 2 options for video games: a series of tutorial levels to try and give you a shot at beating the learning curve, or difficulty settings.

i hate tutorials because even they have aspects i can't master and thus i get stuck and can't even get into the actual game.
    IIRC "Shadow of Rome"- PS2 was like that.

I just want a game that I can beat on my terms, not use a Codebreaker or Gameshark to level the playing field. and it can be as simple as clicking on "Easy", "Normal" or "Hard."

16. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Not to mention that especially back in the day kids could only hope to get games by either birthdays or holidays or then by savin' money for a good while, so they had to last in some way.

Honestly, sometimes its just good to be able to see the entire story of a game without gettin' stuck through the same spot for who knows how long. But the most important thing is that THERE IS THE CHOICE! Anyone who couldn't agree on that obviously wants to be pushin' their purist attitudes on others XD