Customs: Difficult painting connundrums.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TwoKingMick, Sep 11, 2006.

1. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

I'm having a torrid time of it! I have two projects on the go, and both have hit big painting stumbling blocks.

They're both pretty much the same problem, small complex parts, with lots of moving pieces, that need to be painted a lighter colour than the base plastic. I really can't see any other way now than just not ever touching them when they're done.

The first one has to be pianted from a medium red plastic, to baby blue! Yikes!

The second has to be changed from dark green to desert orange.

I'm pulling out my hair here, anybody any advice?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Krylon fusion spray paint might work.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Which parts are they? The best way to approach this problem is, in my opinion, to disassemble the object you're working with - keep track of the pieces! - and paint the parts individually.

I used to assemble small components on my model kits without thinking to paint them beforehand and hit the same problem. Believe me, it's worth avoiding. If there's still a way to take apart the location you're talking about, paint each part individually, glosscoat it, and then reassemble, you've saved yourself the worry about that small-component assembly chipping or hazing over the years.

4. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

It's a wst knockoff of red hotspot. I wan to make him G1 accurate. The green piece is a WST ko of rollbar. I want to make him into swindle. The problem is, over such dark base colours the pieces need so much paint to cover that they chip really badly when they're reassembled. And thats not to mention the various pegs, which the paint scapes off after the first transformation. It's hopeless, i just know it!

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Well, I wouldn't call it hopeless, but it will be difficult. What about dying the parts? If you decided to go with a darker color - black, for example - you could dye the parts that you think are going to get a lot of wear. Dyed parts usually soak in the dye as deep as about a 1/2 centimeter, which is deep enough that regular transforming wear & tear won't change their look much at all.

6. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

I had considered it, but i'm fairly sure you can't dye down from darker to lighter.

Does anybody know if krylon fusion comes in baby blue (g1 hotspot) or desert orange (g1 swindle)?

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Fusion comes in a light cream that you could use as G1 Swindle's colors. Also, the reason I suggested the dying process was because I figured you could probably find an alternate color aside from the lighter color for that assembly that you mentioned. Just an idea.

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Try a thin coat of metalic silver first. Metalic silver covers nice n' solid in one coat. Not only that, but it is bright enough to usually be covered by only one coat of the top color. So you might be able to get away with two coats (one silver and one color) instead of 5 or so coats of just the color.

9. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I would also try and sanding the parts gently. It will allow the paint to adhere a little better. As Cheebs said, working with a different basecoat may help as well.

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Sand or file the parts, to create a little clearance for the paint. I've recently taken to smearing a thin layer of superglue over small high wear parts, like pegs. It's about the most durable clear coat I can think of, unless you have access to actual cyanoacrylate clear coat.