different robot modes for Movie Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thoughtcrime, Jun 16, 2007.

1. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I bought movie Voyager Starscream yesterday, mostly out of morbid curiosity. After reading all the praise, I thought he might actually surprise me, and I would end up liking him. I was wrong.

Mine's a floppy mess, the ball jointed fins annoy me, the knees pop off a lot, and I'm not a big fan of the bulky new design. But I'm not here to debate the new look, whats done is done. What I am here for is to share some photos I took of alternative robot modes I found while fooling with him. They're still not great, but I didn't have a lot to work with. Perhaps someone will enjoy them, or they will inspire some kitbashers.

I am a G1 fan. With my Energon, GF, and Classics Screamers, and the upcoming Hasbro MP, I'm well set for both G1 and 'not-quite G1, but close' Screamers. Realizing this, I carefully boxed this one back up and he's going back to the store on Monday.

Here he is looking slightly less ridiculous:
    [​IMG]

Here is he looking a touch like Energon Screamer, perhaps a talented kitbasher can find a way to fill in his torso? [​IMG]

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

pics?

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear you don't like the figure (is it mostly just due to design or what?), since I personally think he is the second best in the line (best being leader Prime..of course).

Those aint bad "alt" bot modes" though..

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ... um...

look at the first post?

5. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

:sly: 

Why was this posted in News and Rumors again?

6. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Although I have warmed to the new design, your new modes are pretty cool. I'll have to try them myself.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Shhh!!! Don't say that!

But, yeah. Ireally don't see how he could have done this by accident, since the Toyark is way down the page...

FYI, Movie Starscream is the third best figure of the line.

8. thoughtcrime

D'oh, I thought I was still in Toyark, my mistake. Mods, lil help?

NGW yeah I tried to accept the new design but as a G1 Scream fan I'm just too set in my ways. I did give it a shot, though. I wanted to complete the movie cast but the odd proportions are just too much.

9. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those are good fan modes but, It would be so funny to see one of these as an official hasbro picture.

10. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    movie screamer

NM, was supposed to be a private message. :p 

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Interesting and inventive, although I have to be honest and say I much prefer the proper transformation for him.

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    G1 Screamer is my favorite TF ever, I absolutely love him. Not trying to change your mind on him or anything, but if you just try and understand that he ISN'T G1 SS it's all fine and dandy.

Least you gave him a shot though ;) 

Also, Split Lip....I really wouldn't put Leader Megs above him (or really above the majority of the line) :p 

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I tried this and he looks great. The only question I have is what did you do with the nose cone of the jet? I can't fold it up with the legs folded that way, nor can I fold the legs that way with the nose cone up.

14. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    thoughtcrime Thanks for posting those. Love the first pic.

15. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I don't understand the annoying fin complaints. They can get in the way of transformation but you can play with him all day without even touching one of em.

I do agree though that the leg rotation pops off too easily when you move the SUPER TIGHT kneee ratchets. i wish the leg assembly and rotation joint was stabalized better.

Still, you can't fix what ain't broken :) 

16. thoughtcrime

True enough, but in my mind there is only one Starscream, and thats G1.

Sorry I neglected to mention that I popped the nose off for these modifications. It comes on & off easily. No other place to store it on the bot, though. Glad you like it!

You're welcome mate, glad you enjoyed it!

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Toy Ark.

Custom robot modes from toys are not News.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I believe Thoughtcrime already apologized for posting in the wrong area by accident. ;) 

I think the first pic is not bad, though I really don't like this figure much either. I also often try to find cool fan-modes for figures that I think "need something", but I can't see much potential in this guy. Believe me when I say I tried to like him (I own most of the other movie figures so far), and it has nothing to do with the fact that he's not like G1 Screamer.

I mean, I think that in view of the fact that for most intents and purposes the character from the movie IS a version of G1 Starscream (ie: not just a re-used name, but a rendition of the same basic character in a new continuity), this is a fairly appalling design for Starscream. However, regardless of who they're supposed to represent, I've been judging each of the movie TFs on their on merits as robots.

And I gotta say, this figure is ugly by the standards of every giant robot aesthetic I can apply to him, G1 or otherwise. It's unfortunate, but it means one less figure from this line to buy... and I guess from that point of view, my wallet is thankful. :) 

zmog

19. Ed Bailey

Ed Bailey Must.. spend.. money...

Thinking much along the same lines here, except I bought it...

Thought I'd hate the legs, turns out they don't bother me in person. I'm not sure if what sets me off is the shoulders or the "hands". Either way I can see ways the designers could have better handled these areas. Just like Brawl's shoulders I'm left wondering how these issues made it through production... the flimsiness and unrealistic design of hands/shoulders/alt kibble (taking into account it is a movie about robots based on a toy line) really don't match with MB&CO's "vision".

Despite my dislike of the movie & line's designs I've purchased all the figs. SS is definitely not in the top 5 of these characters or figs. Owning him just makes me think even more that SS and Megs were both done a terrible disservice.

Can't find any other modes for these two that really help. Hopefully Hasbro will make lots of money and try to make the line a bit more conservative for the next movie.

20. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I salute your attempt at making him look less Sumo, but in the end you found out what I have maintained all along about a lot of this line. You can only polish a turd so much, it's after all in the end still a turd.