Different "Levels" of Exclusive Transformer Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ondoher Prime, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Ondoher Prime

Ondoher Prime "And then..?"

i'm just wondering what are the different "levels" of exclusive Transformer toys?

i know there are...
    mail-away exclusives
    store exclusives (e.g., TRU G1 reissues)
    convention exclusives (sdcc alternators nemesis prime)
    e-Hobby exclusives
    Lucky Draws

plus, i recall that green superlink ariel (arcee), GF soundblaster, and the white GF chromia/thunderblast.

anyone here who can share their more detailed knowledge on the various exclusives out there?

2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

I think you hit the nail on the head.

3. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I think the last ones you mentioned are either online store exclusives( I don't think they were e-hobby) or exclusives with dvd sets for Galaxy Force. I know they did minicons that way for Micron legend.

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Green Ariel, Soundblaster, and the black fangwolf are all exclusives for a japanese store (i dont know if they are online or not) called toy dreams project or something like that. As stated white chromia was included with a dvd, not an exclusive just expensive and very hard to find now

5. Ondoher Prime

ok, i forgot to be a bit clear on my question:
    what are the different "levels" of exclusive Transformer toys based on their rarity, collectability and first-/second-market price?

example, we all know lucky draw TFs cost a fortune compared to, say, e-hobby exclusives; but, let's lessen the gap a bit: which exclusive costs more and is much harder to find: GF DVD white chromia or botcon exclusive megatron? how about between TRU exclusive G1 reissue sideswipe and e-hobby sideswipe?

much clearer?

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

We need a price guide that compares all exclusives ever made

7. Ondoher Prime

i suppose so. which brings me to a somewhat related question: is there a Transformers site/forums that list completed TF auctions every month like this:
    http://ccpstatues.tripod.com/2006_december.htm?
    (this example lists completed comic statues actions)

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I would maybe just add "online store exclusives" to that list which would cover stuff like Alt Nemesis Prime and Reissue G1 Astrotrain which were Hasbro Toy Shop exclusives.

Oh and Soundblaster and Black Fangwolf were Toys Dream Project exclusives, not sure if that's an online specific store or not though. Also white Chromia (or Minerva) was not an exclusive nor were the other GF DVD figs, they just had a very limited production run.

As for overall rarity, Japanese "Lucky Draw" figures are hands down the rarest in both quantity produced and cost. Most lucky draws are limited to like 10-20 or so figs total on average and usually fetch a very commanding price secondary market like eBay if you can even find them. Most dont even pop up at all, and if they do only like once or twice.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Since rarity/value is usually a function of how many of a given toy are produced, it can vary quite a bit, even within different types of exclusives.

10. Ondoher Prime

i suppose rarity is one way to define "exclusive." oh, and is everyone in agreement that when we define "exclusives" it means it is not widely available in every store (online stores included), in every country/region?

11. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    That last statement (well, question) would make G1 Swoop exclusive, as well as several other G1 figures. Also the later European G1. Lots of exclusives then.

12. Ondoher Prime

well, in a way, yes.

maybe go back to defining the term "exclusive" based on production run and rarity only?

13. Ondoher Prime

patience is a virtue.
    was researching about this, and lucky draw TFs specifically, when i came across this piece of information...