Different between Combiner-Gestalts

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Nov 22, 2011.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (G1 topic)

I always thought the combiner-gestalts; were very bland. Each and every Cybertronian got his own personality or power or both. Even the gestalt's team members got these, but all the gestalts got was...being big.
    (Computron was smart i guess)

Is there anything that sets one apart from the other? (Other than the team they're part of)

If there isn't. What's the common fannon? Or what would you like?

Devastator?
    Menasor?
    Superion?
    Bruticus?
    Predaking?
    Abominus?
    Computron (Something other than just smart)?
    Piranacon?
    Monstructor?
    Defensor?

Attached Files:

2. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    -I always thought it'd was a neat idea that Devastator was the only combiner with a spark because of the Constructicons being master builders, and the rest are the common mind between the team.

-Predaking: I wished had more of a wildman/wolfman crazy-hunter to him.

-This is no were near cannon but i thought it would be awesome if Piranacon/King Poseidon/God Neptune, was just the leader Snaptrap is armor, working for the Quintessons. And the rest of the seacons where just upgraded Sharkticons assigned to him.

-I thought when i was younger that's the Sixth Stuntacon, the car on Menasor's chest; was where Menasor's brain was keep: To try and get around the 'common mind' problem in Gestalt's

3. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

The way I see it:

Devastator: Kinda of stupid, for being the "prototype" for the other combiners
    Menasor: Insane and unstable, since the team that forms him pretty much hate each other or suffer some form of mental instability
    Superion: Simple minded with pretty much two thoughts: Destroy Decepticons and Protect humans
    Bruticus: Powerful but also dumb, requires direction/orders from others
    Predaking: a unified fusion of component's personalities due to their love for the hunt, as such he's one more mentally capable and dangerous combiners
    Abominus: mindless fury, animalistic
    Computron: super intelligent but slow in actions
    Piranacon: similar to Predaking, except he has a automated timer to disengage to combination due to the team's unwillingness give up the hunt
    Monstructor: a nightmare in robotic form
    Defensor: emotionally attached to humanity in general

Though personally in my fannon, the combiners start out as their G1 selves before upgrading to a unified personality (a combination of the "best" traits of the component bots) that's generally more intelligent than their orginal persona, while still retaining a bit of what made them "special/different" in the first place.

Just my two cents

4. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Predaking is differentiated by his reaction time, I suppose. He's quick on his feet and lacks mental issues. He's a perfect hunter like his components.

Like Predaking, Bruticus is an amalgamation of his components; the Combaticons are elite soldiers, and so is Bruticus. He might not be as quick or even as thoughtful as the individual troops, but his profile makes it clear that Bruticus is the perfect soldier. He follows orders.

Defensor, made of emergency/rescue vehicles, is notable for an obvious feature- he can create a large forcefield. Makes sense if you think about it.

Not much special about Superion or Menasor, at least not a relating to their abilities as a team combiner. They're strong. Menasor can create 400 mph winds with a Cyclone gun and has a punching force of 140 tons, and Superion can destroy a battleship with one blow but then they all pretty much can. I guess Superion is stated to be a fast flier, which works being made of planes and all.

Devastator has absolutely nothing working for him as a combination of construction vehicles; he's not known for being a master builder or anything. Just kinda strong.

Abominus, from what little is known about him, is a berserker maybe. He likes climbing buildings and sinking ships. Ooooh. He's basically a mindless fuckin animal.

Computron as noted is super intelligent.

Piranacon is *extremely* strong, able to lift more than all combiners... combined. But regardless, as his components are sea creatures, Piranacon is ideal for underwater activity especially in deep pressurized areas.

5. Quantum25

The only thing Menasor has going for him is his self hating, mentally unstable, insane and psychotic glory.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The cool thing about the "Scramble City" Gestalts is they can trade limbs like a powercore combiner.

7. Quantum25

Like this: [​IMG]

8. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    BAH!? wha?! say what?
    *looking for my power core.....*

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    See above image. They can swap limbs, and those limbs can either help or hurt them.

"Why you punching yourself Superion? Why you punching yourself?"
    "Knock it off Dragstrip!"

The seacons are neat because there's 6 of them, and they can take different limb formations, and the leftover guy turns into a gun.

10. Quantum25

Surprisingly that never happened in the orginal show other than the Scramble City OVA(though there was no witty banter).

If that actually appeared more often, it would've been hilariously awesome.

11. Quantum25

By the way, there's also the random hobby magazine originated combinations made using the Scramble City bots & cons.

Abomenaticus
    Comperian
    Cybertron Super Scramble
    Destron Super Scramble
    Scramble 7

Yeah, they're pretty random.

12. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

6 trainbots unite into raiden

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Why are you calling them gestalts?

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Because that's a long-standing fan term?

The way I see it, Defensor is one of the most stable ones. The Protectobots are a team with shared goals, so they can cooperate and the combined form can make faster decisions. The only odd one out is Blades, who has a penchant for violence, but it appears that Hot Spot's leadership manages to hold him in check.

15. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Not just a fan term. it is official.

Gestalt: Fan-terminology for a certain class of combiners—generally used only for "big robot" combiners with emergent personalities. The term is nebulously defined, such that some fans would consider a two-member combiner such as Squawkbox a gestalt, but other fans would not. This is probably the fandom's second most frequently-used term for combining Transformers.

Its use in Transfandom is derived from the principle of gestalt psychology, which is sometimes simplified to mean "greater/different than the sum of its parts," though a few fans consider this term pretentious and obtuse.

The term remained firmly in realm of fanon for years, although it did appear in some Energon design sketches implying that Hasbro designers used the term occasionally, until in 2007 "gestalt" made its first official appearance, in the bio of the Titanium Series Menasor toy, once more in 2007's "Spotlight: Optimus Prime" referring to Monstructor, and again in 2009 in the "First (and Second) in Flight" comic where Perceptor describes Jetfire's & Jetstorm's combination into Safeguard as a sort of "gestalt powerlink".

- Coeloptera

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah I remember when a lot of people used the term gestalt to refer to the combining robots. I think it was only when Hasbro started putting Combiners into the packaging description that the term started to be used less :)