Differences in GI Joe toylines

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Golden Age, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Could someone tell me the size difference of the Valor vs Venom figures compared to either the original 3 1/4" 1980's Joes, or compared to the 25th anniversary Joes? I'm asking because I had bought some 25th anniversary figures, and they weren't able to fit into some vehicles I had. The reasons being that they were a little taller, and harder to pose.

thanks.

2. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The original figures were 3 3/4" tall. The 25th figures are closer to 4" (or so I have been told).

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

oooh oohh, I can help out here, as this was a concern of mine trying to see if I was going to be able to fit in the 25th figures with my collection. I've got a ton of VvV joes, and that era is known as "new sculpt". they had the same basic articulation as the 80's 3 and 3/4 figures, also known as real american hero.

the new sculpt figures got as small as 3.5 inches for figures such as jinx and tunnel rat, and as high as almost 4 inches forones like the BAT and iron grenadier. so even a few of them would have issues fitting into some vehicles. the problem with the 25th guys is that some of the earlier ones were 4 inches tall, like lady jaye, beachhead, and gung ho. to make matters worse, the "crotch" piece was sculpted in a way as to make the legs splay out to the sides if you tried to have them in a sitting position, as well as prevented the legs from being able to bend so that they were perpendicular to the rest of the body.

hasbro tried to fix this by narrowing the center of the hip piece, but even still, they don't sit as well as the older figures. also, I've noticed that the height of the figures has evened out and they are a bit more in height proportion with the new sculpt figures. hope this helps.

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    "Vintage 80's ARAH"(1982-1995)-Feature thin crotches, rubber O-ring torso connections, metal pin joints, and sculpts reminscent of their time. Mobility on figures is great unless you find an action-attack laden figure. Proportions were balanced for the most part, but the ones with action attack gimmicks suffer(Ninja Force in particular). Most fit in vehicles with no problem, as the vehicles of that time were made for these particular figures. Compared to today's figures, the vintage ones seem bulkier. Constructed of hard plastic, and prone to crotch and thumb pieces breaking. Depending on the condition of your figure, the O ring may snap over time due to drying out. Limbs and heads definitely seem bigger than the newer figures.

"New sculpt"(2002-2005)-First 2 waves consisted of t-crotch construction and no O-ring, with the O-ring returning on half of the wave 2 figures. Proportions in this line suffered for the sake of mobility. Some figures had tiny heads, small torsos, and long limbs(VVV Baroness, Alley Viper, Blowtorch, et al). Range of motion was excellent, yet to be unparalleled on certain figures(see Spytroops Barrel Roll and VVV Storm Shadow for reference). Most figures were compatible with both new sculpt vehicles and old. "Standard" buck body was introduced in 2004, and unlike previous new sculpt figures, did not have extra long limbs, this was a more in scale body with more realistic proportions. Every figure in this line had a thin crotch like the old figures. Unlike the old figures, where proportions were balanced and similar on each figure, proportions were inconsistent on this line. This provided variety however while this works on characters who are supposed to be taller, it does not work when the shorter characters have figures who are as tall, if not taller and bigger than the tallest characters. The standard buck eliminated that, and from the last waves of VVV to DTC, figures had better, more realistic proportions. A mix of hard and soft plastic is used on these figures, so most of them do not feel fragile. Some are predominantly softer plastic(VVV Storm Shadow), so its not a good idea to leave these in your car since warping can occur due to heat. There was a big divide amongst the fandom between those who loved the old sculpt RAH figures, and those who favored the "new-sculpt" figures. Unlike the old figures, the new sculpt ones were not prone to thumb or crotch breakages. They are more durable and can take more damage. They featured more detailed sculpts and on the last waves of the line, better proportions. I personally think these figures provide the best playability with the vehicles, since nearly all the o-ring figures are compatible with vehicles with no problem, and are very durable. The main flaws to this line were bad proportions, and inconsistent figure sizes(compare VVV Dukes and Snake Eyes compared to their GVC counterparts from a year prior and there is a huge difference in height and size). Extra articulation was featured on some figures such as Firefly and gvc Snake Eyes. Not all figures featured the extra articulation. The feet are compatible with the vintage figure stands. The line went out at its best, sadly as an exclusive, so many fans may have missed out on this wonderful swan song.

"25th Anniversary gijoe"(2007-present)-These figures are a drastic departure from what we were used to. Depending on who you talk to, this is either good or bad. These figures feature the best sculpts to ever emerge in the gijoe line. What took the enjoyment out of many collectors was that this line is very different from both the vintage and new sculpt lines. They are not compatible with the old stands, are hit or miss fitting in the old vehicles, and while not delicate nor exceedingly fragile, are less durable than the new sculpt figures(beware of stuck joints, especially the wrists!). This is a line that grew from 10 figures, to, well, a whole bunch(I'm not sure how many are currently out). As a line on its own it is excellent, as a line compatible with previous joe lines, its getting there, just not there yet. Articulation on these is better than even the best of the new sculpt figures. These figures are closer to Star Wars figures in regards to sculpt, than the new sculpt figures. Emphasis was on sculpt over articulation, and some of these issues have yet to be rectified(for example, Duke's arms/crotch, Cobra trooper's crotch). Some of the weapons are difficult to hold. These are the best looking joe figures out. They are the most articulated, but some of the articulation is canceled out on some figures due to mobility being severely hampered. This line has steadily improved as each wave came out. Wave 5 or wave 1 of 08 is definitely a good sign of things to come. That wave features the most durable anniversary figures, tight joints, and great mobility. It is several steps above and beyond wave 1 of 07. Most new figures are now compatible with vehicles, with some of the older figures being modified with new articulation fixes(crotch and arm) for more mobility and the ability to sit. Aside from the articulation issues, the line does not have the questionable design and proportion choices that plagued the previous new sculpt line. This line is for the fan who wants the best joe figures possible, and can do without compatibility with the old accessories and vehicles. For the fan wishing for the latter, you are being slowly, but eventually catered to as the articulation fixes increase, and all new figures being designed with vehicle compatibility in mind. Best line on its own, just not the best one to integrate with others; yet.

I hope this helps.

5. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
  6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

damn dude, and I thought I wrote a lot. that was REALLY informative. did you write that all just for this thread, or did you have that from somewhere else?

7. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Just for the thread man

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wow. that's awesome. :thumb 

9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Thanks man! Just thought I'd chime in and help. After buying the anniversary figures last year, handling them, and comparing them to my other figures, I figured my thoughts could be of use. Wave 5 is definitely a sign of things to come, and wave 7 should be even better. There is a distinct difference in feel with wave 5 compared to previous waves, and I think its set a standard upon which future waves will be judged by.

Oh and I forgot to add to my original post:

Even though production was increased on the figures, the anniversary figures are still hard to find

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I think so far, the twins are my favorites. the mold's just amazing, and the proportions, quality, and size and their ability to fit in with the older figs is great.

11. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i find valor vs venom figures tend to fit in original vehicles pretty well. they tend to be a little smaller than gi joe vs cobra or spy troops figures.. at least the ones i have are. they'll fit better than 25th anniversary ones for sure.

12. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

WOW , I didn't expect such great responses to my question. Thats a lot guys, very informative!

13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    The VVV line was the start of the new "standard buck" at the time. This arose mainly due to complaints about figures being too tall, having limbs too long. The crotches still remained thin and sometimes the waist pieces were still too small, along with torsos. Nonetheless, sculpt and proportionally, they were the best of the new sculpts. Not to mention very fun to play with, I still get a kick out of those figures with my DTC vehicles. I even managed to shove Storm Shadow's Ninja Lightning cycle into the side of the RHINO! Just don't leave these figures in a hot place, that plastic will warp like crazy! At room temperature they are fine.

Of the anniversary figures, I have many favorites, but of the most recent are Torpedo, Battle Armor Cobra Commander, Crimson Guard, and especially IG Destro. That is the best Destro from any joe line. Defeats the original in every aspect, in a similar vein that anniversary Storm Shadow completely outdid the original 1984 Storm Shadow. Its figures like these that show the best contributions from the anniversary line, and show its true potential. I have a feeling the upcoming v3 homage Snake Eyes will be my favorite figure from wave 7. I expected just a repaint with minimal retool, was astounded to find that its all new, and they even retooled the original sword to make it more ninja like now! Best Snake Eyes figure in the line! I am calling it now. Of all the Snake Eyes versions, I never expected that one to get that much love.

The reason wave 5 and beyond are so important, is that their durability is steadily approaching that of the VVV line. Very solid figures, you can definitely feel the difference compared to previous waves. Wave 5 is a great wave to start collecting with, for those of you who just got into the line. I don't expect the movie figures to differ much in format, just more vehicles =).

Also, VVV had some of the best female gijoe sculpts, and some of the worst. Baroness was nothing to write home about, but Covergirl was EXCELLENT.

An important note too. The plastic joints on the "new sculpt" figures are less prone to looseness than the metal pins on the vintage figures, in my experience.