Difference in Quality between waves?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bluestreak76, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

I bought a few from wave 1 and recently a few from this wave. I was going over my small collection earlier this evening and maybe its just me but the quality between the 2 waves seems to have gone down a bit?

I was comparing the Classics Starscream to Acid Storm. Starscream seems pretty solid and tight overall. Acid storm has loose joints and the plate above his hip ball joints wiggles when I transform him while Starscream again is solid. I have Grimlock, Hot Rod, Starscream, Mirage, & Jetfire from wave 1....Acid Storm, Galvatron, and Sunstreaker from wave 2.

I also noticed they stop using the rub badges, WTF is up with that?

I missed Ramjet, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, & Optimus Prime (I'm and Autobot collector) Are they worth paying a bit more on Ebay now?

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After multiple uses the seeker mold is probably showing a little deterioration. A few people have mentioned their Henkei Skywarp and Thundercraker are a little loose in spots.

As for lack of rubsigns, you could get a few from Reprolabels.

3. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

I was looking at placing a reprolable order this week. I've never dealt with them before, how is the quality? and on the Rubsign note, are they fully fuctional Rubsigns? seems like those would be hard to reproduce.

Has anyone ordered the Sunstreaker, Prowl, Mirage, and Hotrod labels? Curious about the quality...not sure if I want the hotrod labels yet but yeah.

4. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Welcome to the boards!

Yeah...sad to say, that ever since the Movie line, the quality control on Hastak's TF figures has gone down the crapper, in every possible respect...

The fact that even casual collectors have readily noticed a discernible difference in should be a wakeup call. In the meantime, nothing to do but pick the best ones off the shelf, if you have to have a figure --- I still haven't found a single Prowl without some glaring defect, and I've hunted through hundreds of them by now.

5. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The quality of the plastic and paint has really gone in the crapper.
    I just picked up Streak, Swipe and Hide.
    The plastic almost feels like KO quality and the joints are much looser than on Prowl and Sunstreaker.

I've ordered a mountain of decals from Reprolabels.
    I've re-stickered many of my G1s and upgraded Alt, Movie, Animated and Classic TFs
    They use very high quality inks and vinyls for their decals.
    I would recommend them to anyone who asks.

6. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

I haven't gotten any of the rubsigns, because I wasn't sure if they were of the same quality as the ones Hasbro uses, but I did get the sets for Sunstreaker, Prowl, Mirage, and Hotrod.

If you haven't gotten them, they are definately worth it. I used all of the labels they provided for Sunstreaker, Prowl and Mirage, but only used the flame and buzzsaw decals for Hotrod. I kind of felt that the torso and leg and arm details made him look a little silly, which is why I left them off.

7. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

If I'd known of that, I would have given you mine (returned to the store weeks ago). Only reason it went back was because I didn't like the figure. It had no defects in paint or build. Neither has either of my two Movie Barricades, or my Animated Soundwave, all notorious for similar issues. But the Animated Bumblebee from the Wal-Mart three-pack did have this weird tack stuck on one of its feet. Scraping it off took the headlight paint too, but after removal, there was no problem. Is this the thing people have been complaining about with Prowl?

8. Iron Spider-Man

Iron Spider-Man Banned

News Credits:
    Just... out of curiosity, do you own any KO toys? Do you really know what their plastic feels like?

I have a few. Their plastics are NOWHERE near the feel of any new Hasbro toys, no matter how much people say they are.

My Sideswipe and Silverstreak are BETTER quality than my Sunstreaker and Prowl.

Costs are rising. Hasbro can do two things to combat this. Either lower the paint applications, etc. or they can raise the price. Either one makes people QQ. What do you want Hasbro to do, become a charity?

Its the truth, and if you don't like it, vote with your wallet. Don't buy wave after wave of figures and say, "OH MAN I THOUGHT WAVE 4 WAS BAD BUT GOLLY JEEPERS WAVE 5 IS EVEN WORSE, WHEN I BUY WAVE 6..." because that doesn't tell Hasbro anything but, "Well, we're doing something right, keep on truckin' boys!"

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

They're completely functional, yes. Check out the last two pics in my Hardshell custom gallery to see how it looks (that day I couldn't get it hot enough to go past green, but it does go all the way through to the dark blue). They're a little thicker than the official Hasbro ones, and you do need to cut them out yourself (you'll need a sharp scalpel or X-Acto), but they're great quality. Bear in mind that they do have the silver edging with the black insignia base, just like normal rubsigns; I deliberately painted over the silver on Hardshell's to help blend it in with his hull.

10. dilectus

dilectus Well-Known Member

Same here. I got Silverstreak and Sideswipe off Hasbrotoyshop.com with the fall20 code and was surprised by the quality difference between those and Prowl and Sunstreaker. MUCH better, although Sideswipe does have a loose door in his robot mode. Actually, I found that some of their joints are almost TOO stiff (but I consider it a good thing, because there's nothing worse than when they're too loose.)