Difference in quality between Hasbro Commemorative Series & Takara Collection Series

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kllrwlf, Dec 1, 2006.

1. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Just curious... is there a difference in quality between Hasbro Commemorative Series & Takara Collection Series?

I don't have 1 of each to compare with, but it seems that the Hasbro is slightly "cheaper" in quality compared to Takara.

... or is it just me?

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    The Hasbro versions normally don't have chromed weapons with the exception of a few. The Takara ones come with chromes weaspons.

Oh, and many Hasbro ones have launchers that aren't functional anymore. Takara's launchers are still spring loaded.

As for the figures themselves, they're about the same.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let's not forget that the Hasbro's missles are larger for safety reasons. There were some improvements to the some of the US reissues too such as Jazz...there was quite a detailed thread a couple of weeks back...

I have a suggestion - could we "stick" this topic because I realised that its a topic that resurfaces now and then and its a good topic too...

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

I could be way off base on this, but the plastic seems different; the Takara versions seem to have plastic closer to the originals, whereas the Hasbro ones seem to have the more durable plastic they've been using with newer lines. Not sure if thats really the case or just my imagination, but it might explain why the Hasbro versions look a little off.

5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That Sucks! I've got most of the Hasbro line, but I've never opened one to find that out! ...guess it doesn't really matter, since I won't be opening them, but still, that's bullskype.

6. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

One of the things I did notice about my last 3 Hasbros, were the launchers didn't work... which sucks because it was for the fists (Hoist, Inferno and Grapple).

7. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

But do you really want a fist randomly launching at your eye? Seriously. Think about it.

8. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd be more worried about launching them down a vent or in the toilet or something..

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Funny, cause those old launchers never worked worth a flip anyhow! At least I don't remember them doing so........

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Many of the old G1 toys had their launchers disabled too, at least in US market stuff. usually the springs in the launchers were weakened or removed.

On-topic, aside from changes for safety issues, I've never noticed any plastic differences between Takara and Hasbro reissues. I'll admit I haven't done much direct comparison of like toys of both types though. (usually wouldn't buy the US version if I already had the Japanese one, and vice-versa) I'll see how Soundwave comes out, since I am planning to get that even though I've got both Takara reissues of SW and SB.

11. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    In my expierences, they're pretty much the same. Though I do recall hasbro doing something a bit different with prowl? Something about the copyright stamp, and the legs not lining up right in car mode?

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe that was the Jazz reissue. The Japanese reissue had problems with the vehicle mode but Hasbro fixed it in their subsequent production - kudos to Hasbro.

Going on the topic of the quality of plastics used...I don't see or feel the difference on plastics used in the US and Japanese reissues, unlike the main lines such as Cybertron and Galaxy Force.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the hasbro one has some engineering issues. the red alert/sideswipe has protruding pins that prevent the canopy/roof from folding into upright position.

14. ARTIMUS ONE

ARTIMUS ONE Investigations Dept.

Hasbro's Jazz has better quality than Takara, the leg up that Takara has over Hasbro is that their weapons can be fired whereas Hasbro's cannot. It seems to be that they are made from the same thing, its just that Hasbro fixed the peoblems with the Jazz that Takara did not like the tabs on the back windows, and tighter joints.

15. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    for Jazz and Stepper, the hasbro shoulder missile launcher pivots, unlike the Takara one.

For tracks, the only difference is the missile launcher lacks springs. Kind of surprising they kept those tiny missiles.