Difference between Yamato 1/48 Macross

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Bryan, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Okay, I've got the VF-1J Stealth Type w/ Super Strike parts, the YF-19 w/ Fold Booster thingie, and the SV-51.

Gonna grab the 1/48 VF-1 Armor Parts Low Visibility Urban Camo set from BBTS for my VF-1J also. I'd like to grab one or two others, 'cause I do love these guys, but I can't tell the difference between the various VF-1s--A, J, S, etc. Then there's the VF-0 also.

Is there any difference between them besides the color schemes?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    VF-1A=low ranking pilots aka cannon fodder. Has one laser mount on head.
    VF-1J=low ranking officer. Has two laser mounts on head.
    VF-1S=high ranking officer. Commonly used for the Skull Squadron. Has four laser mounts on head.

Then there's the VF-1R with three mounts on the head.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The VF-0 is a much more recent design as well, not being from the original Macross series. Design wise, it's like someone made a "classics" Valkyrie version of the old one; a modern take on an older design.

The actual Yamato VF-0S is unfortunately plagued with serious issues, some of which are corrected on the VF-0A, but most people who own it will probably tell you to look elsewhere for a transforming jet fix.

4. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    The VF-1R was only ever released by Toynami, as it's pretty much Robotech-only - I think just from the Battlecry games?

The VF-0 is a much larger bird than the VF-1. At 1/60 scale, it's about the same size as a 1/48 Valk. (Or rather, the VF-1 is a much smaller bird than most modern jet fighters.)

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Seriously? And they still manage to sell multiple versions for that much?

Wow. Macross fans are...dedicated. I think I'll be passing on any more except one VF-1A Angel Bird to match up with another set of that bad ass extra armor set.
    Cool. Thanks.

I am hoping they make some more different models, though. Looks like there's a bunch of options in the extended uniserve that would be awesome toys.

6. Phy

News Credits:
    The YF-22's on the way out next year, and maybe - just maybe - if we're all good little girls and boys, Yamato will release a VF-4.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Well to be fair, it was more of a "I'm buying X because X flew it."

For example, the VF-1J Max and the VF-1J Miriya are the same. Only difference is color. Max's was blue and Miriya's was red. But dedicated fans wanted both not because of the simple repaint in color but because they're so attached to the characters that flew them.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That makes a lot more sense.

I'm sure there's a troop-builder fan out there with a squadrons of the VF-1As, though. I'd love to see that.
    Just waiting for HLJ to post the YF-22. And the VF-4 is fucking awesome.

I'd like to see a VF-17 also, and I'd buy a VF-11 and a VA-14. No idea how likely those are--not holding my breath, since it seems like they're from the less popular incarnations of the anime and might not have the character associations Razerwire pointed out.

9. Phy

News Credits:
    I think the VF-11's the most likely of all of those, considering Isamu had his butt in one for the first quarter of Mac+. Whether Yamato'll be able to debut it before the next Macross series comes out and screws up the sequence is questionable.