Diecast bumblebee set on chevymall.com

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundwave84, May 17, 2008.

1. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
  2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    This has been available since last year, I believe. What's interesting about this is Jada doesn't have a license with Hasbro to use Transformers characters (at least according to their Australian reps), but it does have licenses with Chevy and GM. Still, the trademark for Bumblebee belongs to Hasbro, unless die cast toy trademarks are unrelated to action figure trademarks.

3. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    You know what's funny I just saw a 2008 Camaro from one of those giant "ghetto" diecast car lines at Target and it was in STEALTH BUMBLEBEE COLORS.

They must pay attention.

4. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    There's nothing "Bumblebee" about the set. It's 2 yellow Camaros with black stripes. Yes, we all KNOW what the inspiration is, but you can't trademark a very common color scheme. Now, if there was an Autobot logo somewhere of course there'd be issues. But it's just two Camaros, in a well-known scheme.

5. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And how did that scheme become well-known?

Surely it couldn't be last summer's biggest action flick.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed. Freak coincidence.

Like that DUB City RC set I found at K-Mart with a yellow and black Concept Camaro and a "Sheriff Department" Mustang. XD

7. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Guys, you're confused over what a trademark is. Trademarks involve what the product is called, not how it looks, from what I understand. So I am questioning how this set can be sold as 'Bumblebee' given Hasbro holds the trademark for that name in the area of toys.

Regardless, anybody with a license from GM/Chevy can make black-striped yellow Camaro toys so long as they are approved by GM.

Of course, I haven't seen the packaging, so I'm not sure what the set is actually called by Jada, so 'Bumblebee' may be what Chevy calls it on their website.

8. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    You can't trademark after the fact. "Yellow with black stripes" existed on Camaros (and every other muscle car) LONG before the movie came out. Hasbro can't say "oh, we made it famous recently in our movie so we retro-actively declare all yellow+black Camaros ever to actually be our Bumblebee design".

Yes, any yellow+black Camaro made now is obviously because of the movie, but Hasbro can't do a thing about it unless the product actually says Bumblebee/Tranformers/Autobot.

9. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Nononononono.

This has nothing to do with colour schemes. It has to do with the trademarked name. Not the colour. Not the design. But the name.

So I am questioning that IF this is being sold as a 'Bumblebee' set, how can they do that while Hasbro currently holds the trademarked name 'Bumblebee'?

Nothing to do with colour schemes or famous movies making everybody jump on the yellow Camaro bandwagon.

10. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I have a set of these that I got at the Philly auto show a few months back. Absolutely nowhere on the set or its packaging is the bumblebee name or autobot logo featured. Sure, it's certainly inspired by a certain now-famous camaro, but Jada skirts copyright infringement by not using the name or the exact model years of the Bumblebee Camaro (These are labeled as '81 and '06, not '76 and '08/09).

All that said, they look great displayed with the movie bumblebee figures, and the display case they come in is pretty decent.

11. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    The only Bumblebee reference is Chevy's website's description of it. Which'll probably be changed as soon as Chevy hears from Hasbro's lawyers. Then it'll just be "yellow diecast Camaro 2-pack".

12. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I thought the designers said the 70's Camaro is a piece of crap that no one wants. It's pretty obvious that putting these two cars together is Transformers inspired, no matter what name is on the box.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Everyone is assuming that Chevy hasn't spoken to Hasbro; however, this is the company who had an exclusive Transformer designed specially for them (Universe Swerve, available only if you lived in China and bought a Chevy Aveo, or through the UK Chevy online store). There's nothing at all to suggest they didn't ask Hasbro if they could market this 2 pack in such a fashion.

14. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Not to mention provided all the cars for the movie (GM) :p 

I mean, like I said, it's so obvious that this was designed as a Bumblebee set from the start (the juxtaposition of these two particular designs), that I'm sure Chevy had to have called up Hasbro, or at least double-checked their rights.

15. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Still. I don't like the fact that the website selling the item says "1:64 Camaro Bumblebee 2 Car Set". This is not a Hasbro or Par/DW licensed product. Fact is, Hasbro works hard defending these trademarks and it's kind of shitty to see Chevy do this.