Die-Cast or Plastic: You Decide!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Deathy G1, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Deathy G1

Deathy G1 Such a trustworthy being!

With the 6" Titaniums making their way to stores now, it seems the old argument over die-cast versus plastic has reared its head again. I figured we could use a thread to discuss it.

The die-cast debate was for several years, just about the past, as until 2004, we hadn't seen die-cast since the first waves of G2. Then, in 2004, a new generation of transfans, most of which had very little exposure to die-cast TFs, suddenly had a chance to see just what it was.

In one year, actually pretty much on one month's time, Masterpiece Convoy and Binaltech Smokescreen were released. Both of these toys were pretty heavy with the die-cast, and fans were pretty much polarized instantly.

In the case of MP Convoy, there was little the fans could do if they didn't like metal in their toys, as the Hasbro version contained the same ammount. Fans seemed to accept their fate with this one. This was not the case with the Binaltech, as the same toy could be had without die-cast in the Alternators line.

For the first time, fans could have their choice, and and experience the difference for themselves. Suddenly, the die-cast debate was relevent and started to make waves. There was one comfort though, people had a choice, Binaltech or Alternators. People chose their sides on the die-cast debate, and defended them, but both were happy.

Now it's 2006, and suddenly the choice has been removed.

First we had THS-02 Convoy, a much anticipated mold only available with a high die-cast content. Second, the Binaltech line became Kiss Play, and axed the die-cast. Finally, Hasbro released the 6" Titanium Series, toys that were 75% die-cast, and not available any other way.

Fans are again polarized, now their only choice is to buy or to pass, many making this decision purely on die-cast content.

This brings me to my question, which camp are you in? Die-cast or plastic, and why?

My Answer:

I love die-cast. I grew up with it. I was a G1 fan since the very beginning, and I liked that my robot toys were metal, like they were in the cartoon. Sure they weren't all metal, but they had some, and it made them feel substantial to me. I was very disappointed when Powermaster Prime turned out to be all plastic, he just didn't feel right (and I was ultimately thrilled to discover and eventually own, Takara's die cast Ginrai version of the mold).

As die-cast faded after 86, I did notice. My parent's did too, I remember them saying that the toys felt cheaper then they used to. In general though, the removing of die-cast from G1 was also accompanied by cheaper engineering and an overall drop in complexity and detail, so the loss was really a double-whammy.

No wonder all the "Master" gimmicks started to arrive.

Near the end of G2, the complexity started to return to the all-plastic line, and suddenly the die-cast could be judged on it's own merits. I remember buying Laser Optimus, and thinking to myself. "This is nice, but its just too light...."

Beast Wars arrived, and die-cast seemed less relevent. Why would beasts be metal? The Transmetals could have used some die-cast I suppose, but the organics really made me not care. I don't think it would fit in that line.

Beast Machines brought vehicles back to TF, and I started missing the metal again, especially in the Mega size and up. When I got Mega Tankorr, I couldn't help but wonder how great he would feel with the added weight and look of die-cast, a sentiment that was made louder by the release of Ultra Jetstorm.

When RID started, I started to miss die-cast everywhere. Prime, Magnus, the Car Bros, the Trains, they all could use it.

When MP Convoy and the first few BTs came out, I jumped at the chance to get them. I loved having the die-cast back! Unfortunately, due to budget reasons, I stopped with the BTs at Lambor, switching to the Alts because I had to. I also haven't yet purchased THS-02 Convoy, though I am hoping I can someday.

With the release of the 6" Titaniums, I am in heaven. They are cheap, well-sculpted, and have more Die-cast than I could ask for. Sure they have their flaws, with the wobbly joints, and the paint issues, but Prime is a pretty damned good toy in my opinion, and I think most of the issues will be solved as the line progresses.

Besides, like I said in another post, nothing can ever be as bad as most of the Star Wars TFs.

So that is my opinion on the die-cast debate. Who else wants to share?

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess I'm on the fence on this. I'm a fan of die-cast, but I'm never not bought a Transformer because it wasn't die-cast.

3. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Both have their weaknessess and strengths. To me it comes down to preference, I just love the feel of diecast.
    I guess the only thing that annoys me is when some people call die cast "die-crap". I can't help but take that in an offensive way (my problem, I guess). Its not like I go around calling plastic "plas-shit".

To each their own.

4. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like diecast. as you said, it makes the toys feel heavyer, and more strudy. I can see where people like plastic too, its cheaper, and allows for more detail in some ways. I like a good combination of both, like in G1. Too bad the Classics wont have diecast on them, that would be awsome.

5. DoctorJoe

DoctorJoe who?

die cast is nice, but in today's day and age, plastic offers the durability, poseability and detail options ( with respect to cost) that make it superior. Its also lower maintanence in terms of chipping and accidental dropage.... :) 

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I don't know. I have to agree with everyone else. Diecast has its advantages, but so does plastic. I dont know.

7. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

I like Diecast but it doesn't work with the toys of today. With the whole Articulation is key era we are in mosy if not all Toys now have Ball sockets. These Ball sockets work great with all Plastic figures (atleast if you don't play with them much) but with Diecast they don't work well at all/ Diecast is too heavy and we end up with floppy toys or toys who cant hold up their own weight.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Plastic all the way. A die-cast toy feels nice and has a very cool heft to it, but that's not enough to make up for the disadvantages. Just look at the 6" Tits we've gotten so far. There's so much metal that they're hard to pose without the weight of the metal dragging them down. And then there's the paint chipping, which leaves your toy with little leprosy spots. Die-cast was fine for bricky G1 toys, but it just doesn't work with today's highly poseable TFs.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Guess it just depends on what you like. I love the diecast on the older figures and it seems to fit on 20th Prime. However, I prefer to buy Alternators rather than Binaltech simply because I think the diecast in the few Binaltech figures I have (ie: all the colors unreleased by Hasbro) tend to make most of those figure very top heavy and you have to be careful how you stand them up. Of course, on the other end of that, the heavy diecast content in the BT toys can also be used to pull off some really awesome posses that would cause an Alt to loose it's balance to easily, because the heavy diecast content in the BTs can be used to counter balance the figure top with the figure bottom. So, again, it seems that they both have advantages and weaknesses.

As for the Titaniums... from all the reports I've read and from looking at Prime and Megs at TRU yesterday... I'm really on the fence with these guys. I like the look of them, but at the same time... the plastic joints used tend to make the limbs pop off. Which is the reason I haven't baught any yet... I can't find a Prime or Megs from this line without some kind of either paint flakage or popped off limbs in the package. Of course, with the Titaniums line... it just seems like bad engineering all the way around now that I've seen them. Still going to pick them up at some point if I can find some decent ones and than I'll know for sure what I think of them.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think there's room for both in the universe.

Die cast for collector/display oriented items, and plastic for the main line, intended for a bit rougher handling. I see no reason to have die-cast in the main line, since today's plastics are light years sturdier than 80's plastic OR die cast.

I certainly appreciate the advantages of both, but the 6" Titaniums have given the die-cast haters a lot of ammunition... All the problems of die-cast rolled into one figure (uneven paint apps, chipping, inability to hold a pose due to weight, and joint/support issues). That said, I own every Binaltech and have never experienced any issue related to die-cast or the problems I mentioned above.

The thing I wish would go away forever is the 'rubber' plastic (BM Jetstorm's head antennas, Vector Prime's wings, etc...) That stuff just doesn't hold up well.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most of my TFs don't get much play time- having a wife, kid, and job will do that. So, I don't have as much of a worry of my BTs chipping, and think the extra weight adds to their 'realness.' I've gotten used to the plastic, but wonder how toys like Cybertron Optimus, Energon Bruticus, or even Giant Starscream would look and feel in metal. Plastic, though, keeps the cost of the toys down, and lets the toys transform and pose better. I suppose what I'm saying is either will do.

-Tony!
    SWTF Titaniums!

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think die cast is geting a bad rap because of the 6" titaniums. we've seen how modern stuff can be done well with DC, like masterpiece convoy and the binaltechs (paint chips notwithstanding). in the case of the 6" tits, they were just poorly engineered.

the material is not at fault. the design is.

13. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Yeah TIT Megatron REALLY feels sturdy and well made thanks to the die-cast.

14. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm in the Die Cast camp. The loss of metal (along with crappy designs) caused me to lose interest in TFs back in 88. When the re-issues came out I was in heaven.

The one Binaltech I own, Blue Tracks, is not really a toy more than a collectors piece. I could see a kid playing with Alt Tracks, but certainly not Binaltech Tracks. The cold feel and deep paint make me think that the Binaltechs were made for car lovers and discerning collectors...the transformation is just a bonus.

Forgive my rambling. Point is, I prefer Die cast but I'll buy almost any transformer I can afford regardless...as evidenced by my empty wallet.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I agree with most, Die Cast if a nice thing to have, but given that Masterpiece Prime was 100.00 to buy, I am fine with plastic.

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think Die-cast is good for smaller toys like the G1 cars, but for larger toys you need plastic for playability.

I love MP Prime, but you really can't do shit with him cause he's all metal. Which is why I'm so disappointed that the release is gonna be die-cast again...cause he's not gonna sell very well again.

17. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I don't like it. I hate paint chipping and the extra heft does nothing for me except limit what poses the figure can achieve. And it doesn't look cohesive with the plastic on the rest of the figure. And frankly, the paint apps on the die-cast parts of the Titanium figures look like shit.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    As long as it transforms, my most important criteria is met. I'm fine with either plastic or die-cast. No TF has ever been 100% die-cast anyway.

19. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I prefer what is cheaper.

I'm just a chilean student, so I don't have a good income. The answer, buying what is cheaper.

In the other hand, in South America we receive toys from Hasbro Mexico :p  , and those toys are made of plastic.

As long as they transform and don't shatter, I'm happy with my Transformers, no matter the material they are made of.

20. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I like die cast, but it's not something I have to have.