Didn't mind the twins/Leo/robot farting as much as i did...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by whiskeytango, Jun 24, 2009.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

The laziness of there being so many duplicate constructicons and blackout/bonecrusher just... showing up. Thats not even touching on all the decepticons that just stay in their protoforms during the desert battle.

Say what you want about them just being bots that look the same, or the precedent set by the G1 seekers and prowl/smokescreen/silverstreak, but at least they were all different colors. Look at Mixmaster, we see guys like him all over the place. There got to be at least 3 bots in the movie who look like him, as there are two in the desert, and I can't see how the one in New York would have gotten to Jordan. Furthermore, for all we know, there could be like 4 different bots who all look exactly like Longhaul: The one we see in the ocean, the one who makes devastators leg, the one who just pulled up randomly to the excavation site, and the one fighting amongst the buildings. That seems extreme, but what do the film makers give us to make us think otherwise?

All the clones, coupled with the high proclivity for wheel-feet bots (though i do love Sideswipes design), just made me a little disappointed in the design staff for this movie, and took me out of the film more than any other aspect.

2. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

"you guys are going to be blown away, 60 bots!!!"

they never told us they would be based on 10 designs though

3. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

LOL - what did you expect? More room for repaints : /

4. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

seriously. I think I may go see it again and bring a notepad, just so I can write down all the duplicates I see. It'll be like a car game I pay $10 to play...

... I'll probably just play it the one time.

5. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The robots in the film (as far as I remember

• The Autobots (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet, Sideswipe, Bike sisters, Jolt, Skidz, Mudflap, Jetfire, Wheelie - THIRTEEN)
    • Non Constructicon Decepticons (Megatron, Starscream, Sideways, Ravage, Ravage Shadow Drone thing, The Fallen, Protoform Hatchling, Grindor, Bonecrusher, Generic Protoform soldier, Soundwave, Scorponok, the Doctor, Alice - SIXTEEN)
    • Rampage x3 (one for Devastator, the yellow one with legs prowling the village, and the red jackhammer one that Bumblebee fights)
    • Demolishor x2 (one at the beginning, one for Devastator - yes I am aware that techincally the Devs one is Scaveneger, it's just easier this way)
    • Long Haul x2 (Devs and singular)
    • Mixmaster x2 (Devs face, and the gun platform one)
    • Other Constructicons (not seen elsewhere) - Scrapper, Hightower, Overload (THREE)
    • Miscellaneous bots - 5x Kitchen bots, 4x Primes (from dream sequence), 3(?)x Assorted generics from the flashback fight scene, and that probe bot that Doc put in Sam.

That's my count, for a total of 64 different bots in the film.

I counted the separate incarnations of the Constructicons (combining and non combining) individually because they each have their own transformations, as opposed to the generic protoform soldiers who are all the same.

6. Nervol

Nervol Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing that gets me is that this would have been a total non issue if they just paced the action correctly

Have The Devastator fight either before or after all the constructicons vs the military

either have the Constructicons defeated then form devastator and climb the pyramid, or have devastator climb the pyramid and then defeated then the constructicons fight individually

Its completely outrageous that they had to resort to this. Its literally nonsense.

7. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I count at least 2 protoform Cons, though I'm pretty sure the actual number is somewhere around 5 or 6.

Also, I think the yellow constructicon prowling the village was Scrapper. I kept a special eye out for him cause he was always my favorite constructicon and I was happy to see him so well utilized...

... oh wait, no, the other thing. The thing where i was disappointed. I get those mixed up.

8. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    If "the yellow one with legs prowling the village" is who I think you think he is, then that was Scrapper. Ball & chain guy? smashy smashy?

9. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I could have sworn that it was the toy coloured, legged, version of Rampage - I thought it had tread whips. You're probably right though. I'll have a look when I see it again.

10. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I didn't have much of a problem with the editing in the final battle, at least regarding the Constructicons and Devastator, because both took place in two different locations so I never got the impression that the individual constructicon robots were meant to be part of the combiner. In fact, I never got the impression of them as a unified team like in G1. Just came across as Decepticons with a bunch of different alt modes, some of which happened to be construction vehicles.

Scrapper was also the 'con they ripped to shreds to rebuild Megatron.

"Ve need parts! Kill ze little vun!"

11. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

happened to be exact same construction vehicles as their comrades? Also happened to look exactly like them in bot mode... Someone here said it bothered them that it seemed like Devastator just seemed like he could be made out of whatever Constructicons were handy at the time, and I agree with that sentiment. Why would this creature even have a name if that was the case?

12. Wraithier

Wraithier Well-Known Member

This bothered me too, such a huge opportunity wasted IMO. I would have rather there be a color/head swap of the starscream CGI as Thundercracker and Skywarp than random protoform nameless things all over the place. Granted I think they were trying to avoid the fan outcry to some extent (OMG Bay killed so and so) but they could have avoided using the same alt modes over and over - and they didn't necessarily have to "die". There were tons of military vehicles around for the protoforms to scan at some point. They path they chose just led to confusion, even moreso in the eyes of a fan - ("wait that was just mixmaster and he is also the head of devestator"???)

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For a $200 million film it did feel sort of cheap at times. Like re-using footage from the first film to show the Decepticons descending to Earth, the shots of soldiers firing at nothing, or some of the military arriving shots and carrier shots seemed recycled from training videos.

Ouch and I think we got so many wheel bots because it was cheaper to animate wheels moving than to animate legs moving.

14. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:

...but he was on the boat, then he wasn't, then he jumped into the water....THAT pissed me off. Over head shot showing Scrapper Clone next to Mixmaster Clone. Next shot shows close up of Mixmaster Clone Mack Hood Ornament Thing....with some weird Volvo Crane, pincher thing next to him, moving around with no purpose. Next shot..."Everyone into the pool!"

Oh yeah...and that other thing where Bumblebee transforms back to Camaro and nudges Sam after repeating forrest gump....YOU SEE THE F*CKING DRIVER'S HEAD MOVING AROUND IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Movie editing mistakes pisses me off more than the whole clone thing. Jurassic Park is ruined forever for me, and forever cemented my opinion that Steven Speilberg SUCKs at movie making too. It's the people that he surrounds himself with that make it awesome. I swear, check some of the "movie mistakes" websites, Speilburger has one of the WORST records. Michael is not too far behind after this one.

15. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What they should have done was a 30 second flashback about how there were a lot of Constructicon clones to make the solar collectors that were sworn to follow the Primes no matter what. Not only would that have explained why there were a bunch of that same bots, but could have had a better played out scene with Optimus and the Fallen telling Devestator to "Stop!" and "No, attack!" confusing him long enough for Simmons to line up a shot from the railgun instead of him just climbing the pyramid obliviously until his death.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I really was confused more than anything else while watching. Previously dead robots showing up with no explanation. Doubles of construction vehicles.

Forgetting all the "outrage" stuff, I don't see how that can be defended as good film making.

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Well, the dead returning is really bad, but I think of the Constructicons as drones, rather than actual individuals. There could be hundreds of each body type out there, ready to combine and make Devastator.

18. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ya its not like the fallen could open a spacebridge and take all the bots there or anything... la la la

19. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the drone thing works with Devastator. Kind of like how Constructicon Maximus or was it Construction Maximus from Energon did nothing except when in Devastator mode. The other ones we see Long Haul, Scrapper, Demolishor, Rampage (I guess), and Mix Master are individuals.