Did your parents frequently take away your TFs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SectorStar, May 13, 2010.

1. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

My parents were always so horrible with taking away my transformers when I was young. My very first TF was a Powermaster Optimus Prime I got at a garage sale for like 2 bucks, I still have that thankfully, but my second one I got when I was like 6 was a G2 Jazz. I loved that toy to death! Now my mom would often do this thing where when I'd be in school she'd go into my room and just start emptying it of things and then they usually ended up in a garage sale. I watched someone buy and walk off with my Jazz. x_x I think I really need to get another one someday. I bought a Jazz when the first TF Movie came out as kind of a way fill that gap in me if that makes any sense lol Now when Beast Wars came out, god that was a battle! I had probably.....I'll say close to 30, I loved those toys to death too, probably what made me the transformer freak collector I am today! Anyways, my mom would do the same thing, empty my room of things that I actually played with and liked, and left me bored till my bday or xmas because she always got rid of the things I played with or enjoyed the most! They gave me an opportunity to like "buy" ONE beast war back if I did something like clean their bathroom, only to have them taken away again the next time she cleaned out my room. She was gona try to put them all in our next garage sale, but I remembered how sad I was to see my Jazz leave in someone else's hands, so I snuck them all back in my room and they've been in a safe place under my bed for the last 9 years or so.

2. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Nope...my folks knew that if they reached for my TFs they would pull back a bloody stump.

3. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NOPE, didnt happen to me, but your story saddens me...im sorry bro? if ya don't mind me asking. how old are ya now? at least when you have kids of your own, you will know what not to do :) 

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

My parents never had garage sales, so I never had that issue. They always gave me crap about being too old to buy toys though, but that was about it.

Know how to stop this, though? Move out. If you can recall the '86 movie and Beast Wars' release, you should be in your 20's.

5. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Yep, I'm 21! lol I'm defiantly not gona do that to my kids and take away their favorite toys from them. And I'm pretty close to moving out, but they kind of stopped with the emptying my room thing towards the beginning of jr high. At that point I had kind of stopped buying toys and things to fill up my room and it was mostly just video games I bought. I only got back into collecting transformers and buying/collecting them like crack the when new movie came out, and now I'm one of those people that will start checking the stores once a day once I read about the new wave of figures being spotted in the U.S.

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Back in the early 90's my mom sold my entire MIB G1,GI Joe and He man collections for next to nothing at a garage sale.

Basically the entire 85-87 line from all 3 series.

I was like 12 and still cry to this day:cry 

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    This reminds me of the time my brother left a toy at a friend's house. When he asked for it back, the kid goes "my parents sold it. I tried to stop them. I really tried."

Luckily I never had this problem. But it would have driven me nuts.

8. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Oh god! Yeah I feel for you a lot! x_x I'm still glad I have my Powermaster Optimus Prime. It's probably not worth that much because when I got it at that garage sale when I was like 4 it was missing the 2 smaller black guns, and theres a few stickers that look like were never even there to begin with, but its more of a sentimental thing to me.

9. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

this thread just brings back bad memories lol. okay, when i was a kid my brother and i had the entire g1 collection. even back then i was very careful and anal about my figs. always stored them carefully and even tried to put the decals on perfectly every time.

one day i come home from school and they're gone. every single one is gone. my mom tells me that she was cleaning the house and threw them all out. they were just too many and i didn't need that many "toys". to this day i still am irked about what happened and we joke about it a lot because NOW she realizes that they weren't just toys to me and she understands that it's a passion i have just like everybody else here. slowly i'm getting all those figs back little by little and one day i'll have that collection back again.

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, your parents sound pretty harsh, if I were you I would..
    1st get a job
    2nd buy back G2 Jazz and Prime
    3rd clean there bathroom with there toothbrushes.
    4th move out
    5th buy them TF's on mothers day and fathers day.
    6th tell them (after you moved out) that they suck for doing that!

BUt thats just me. Every holiday from now on they would get a TF!

11. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

this thread just brings back bad memories lol. okay, when i was a kid my brother and i had the entire g1 collection. even back then i was very careful and anal about my figs. always stored them carefully and even tried to put the decals on perfectly every time.

one day i come home from school and they're gone. every single one is gone. my mom tells me that she was cleaning the house and threw them all out. they were just too many and i didn't need that many "toys". to this day i still am irked about what happened and we joke about it a lot because NOW she realizes that they weren't just toys to me and she understands that it's a passion i have just like everybody else here. slowly i'm getting all those figs back little by little and one day i'll have that collection back again.

12. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Parents(mainly father) make me buy my own Tf's...so really if this happened to me the only one they could take away is my Dlx Landmine..but like I would allow that peacefully.

13. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    My mom keeps threatening to take away mine, but she's notorious around here for constantly making empty threats, so she's never followed through.

14. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I had a friend in elementary school who would get his toys thrown out if he left them on the floor. But that's not nearly as bad as your story.

My parents would they cut out the cardbacks, keep the paperwork and loose figures stored in labeled bankers boxes featureing toy line was to keep all the parts from getting lost.

At the time I didn't understand the reasoning entirely. But it makes it easier to respect stuff like my vintage Teenage mutant ninja Turtles, Computer Warriors, swamp thing and Transformers when so many of these materials survived.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Happened to me too , i had moved away from home and i left somethings including most of my collection at my parent's house while i got things organized in my life an an income where I did not need a roommate to help cover expenses and she donated about half of them and sold the rest on a garage sale I was so mad. She had thought i no longer wanted the stuff and needed to clear out some room in the storage room so she got rid of it. I told her if she had only bothered to call me I would have come and gotten them.

Still haven't recovered all of what i lost. I have forgiven my mom and she understands better now.

16. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

Man, your parents sounds like a pair of douchebags.

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Not really. I couldnt watch tv or play video games but they never took my toys so my tfs were always safe.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Tell your moms to quit stealing your crap and selling it off and go get a job. Tell her Foster from the internet says so.

19. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My mom had the foresight to not throw any of my old TFs (and most of my toys in general) away, so if anything's missing that's my own fault. But her reasoning behind it was so I could eventually pass them on to my kids. Since I got back into TFs a few years back, I'm thinking when i do have kids they better not touch MY toys, "Those are daddy's" :lol 

Naw, not my intention to be a jerk-ass dad, but I figure anything they want I'll buy for them, just my TFs will be off limits [aside: I told a friend of mine this, and he said when I have kids of my own I won't care and let them play with all of 'em anyways. To those who are parents here: is he right?]

20. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Nowadays they try it sometimes when I misbehave. But they always find out it's not so easy to take away approx. 160 figures, so they always give up fast.