Did your parents ever divorce?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chaos Muffin, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

First all, I apologize if this thread rubs anyone the wrong way

Just about everyone I knew growing up had parents who divorced, including mine, and was curious how many of you had parents that divorced?

If so , did it mess mess with you in any way??

I think I was glad, I mean I was bummed at first , but was also excited for all the upcoming freedom I was about to have. I was 12 and didnt know much about love, I just saw it as another place to ride my bike around.

But then later on (age 16) I ended up doing dumbass things. :lol 

Hats off to the grandparents. Most I know of have been together for 40-50 years.
    That's awesome. I hope all of your all's marriages end up golden like that.

Also wondering if anyone eats at the kitchen table anymore? Is that still in?
    Or is it the couch/coffee table/tv combo?

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

My parents divorced early to mid 2006 :( 

My dad was clean after 18 plus years of alcoholism. He cleaned up in 1998 IIRC but in 2000 he fell off the wagon and would binge drink every Xmas and Summer break. So after 6 years of that mom said enough and they separated and are now divorced.

And yes it was pretty bad afterward as he still maintained that habbit only worse since it's just him and myself. With mom out of the equasion

3. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Parents divorced when I was in middle school, I think when I was in 6th grade. Both my parents acted like dumbasses for forever, and my picture perfect perspective on our family was destroyed. My friends were very unsympathetic, the jerks, and it really did nothing for my feeling of not liking people. My grades deteriorated from As and Bs to Ds and Fs, pretty much all the way into the end of high school, because my parents were no longer working together to strive at helping me do good, and focuing their efforts on me anymore.
    My goody two shoes atitude died, and I did drugs and stuff, started smoking.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

My parents divorced when I was 2.
    My mom divorced my first step father when I was 6.
    My mom divorced my second step father when I was 18.

I don't talk to my father or any of my step-fathers at all, them being around messed me up worse than a divorce ever could have.

I still have issues to this day because of all three of them.

I think divorce is a case by case sort of thing, depending highly on the situation and the individual as to what effect it has.

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My parents divorced finally when I was in 4th grade. My dad was (and is) and abusive piece of crap, and I had wanted them to divorce for a long time prior. My mom always used the 'I'm staying with him for the kids" excuse, but my older siblings, who were older during the divorce and had grown up with him longer, grew up kind of messed up, and repeating his ways (one of my brothers was on his 3rd marriage by 30 due to his abusing his families). but I came our ok. So in some cases, divorce is a good thing.
    That being said, I hate when people divorce for stupid reasons, and don't take marriage any more seriously then "going steady".

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Not when I was growing up, but my parents divorced a couple of years ago. Which was a good thing though, because my father was a complete and total asshole who I completely wrote out of my life years ago (gotta be at least 4-5 now) so good riddance. So ultimately it never really impacted me at all as I've been out East for 5-6 years now and they live out West so I was very removed from the whole thing. Had to help guide my mom through some rough patches though.

7. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    My parents divorced, but not until I was an adult. It was for the best and I get allong with both better than when they were together. It also gave my younger sister the safe haven of my couch when things got to heavy at moms :) 

And I'm divorced as well. I always said that I'd rather my son see my ex and I in relationships that worked...hopefully healthy ones...than stick together "for the sake of the kids". I think I was more screwed up being raised by two parents that stopped caring about each other LONG before they actually split. The resentment in my house was palpable...

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nope. My parents didn't divorce even though the came close to it on numerous times. But in the end it was mostly all just hot air.

As for the eating thing, right now in my apartment? Coffee table in front of the TV. At home? Dinner table.

When we get our own home though I plan to have a tv near the dinner table.

Oh, we never use the actual dining room though at home unless it's a special occasion. There's another dining table in the kitchen where we eat.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

My parents divorced in summer of 2005, actually. Mom is very bipolar, but won't admit it and won't seek help. She means well most of the time, but she makes everyone's life miserable and blames dad for everything that's ever gone wrong in her life (exept before she met him. All of that is her parents' fault). He loved her and put up with this for years, until he finally had enough of it and moved out. I saw it coming years away, so while it was sad, it didn't really shake me very badly.

10. honestgabe

honestgabe I

my parents are separated and have been since I was 17. My dad lives in St. Louis and I live here in Pennsylvania with my mom. It sucked and it really did mess me up pretty bad. Oh well

11. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Parents divorced when I was like 10 or 12 I think. It hit me hard when it happened and kinda messed with me for a long awhile. As I get into my 20's though, I've pretty much finally gotten through it.

12. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Mine almost got divorced, but stayed together. It was just last year when all this stuff happened. I don't know what I would do if they split.

13. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    Sounds like my mom...who was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder...and also refuses to admit it...but since my dad usually worked graveyard I didn't get to see his side until MUCH later in life.

14. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    My parents never divorsed. They've been together now for 29 years.

This is my dad's second mariage though.

15. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

My parents didnt get divorced, they were seperated for like 1 year back in the days, I think I turned out to be kinda a loser. But thats another story, My friend's parents got divorced though, we hung out all the time. So we shoulda walked down the same path kinda thing, but didnt happen, He carried the whole family as far as he could back then. I really respect him for that, working, paying the bills with the lil bit he got at his job back then he was a manager at Valvoline. His mom got all fat and ugly (she was soooo hot) and she was a pill-popper. He's a cop now, and Im a cable guy, He was the only son but he had 2 sisters. One sister turned out messed up, the other is doing good and she's a RN now. I guess it's all about YOU and how you think and react. Not really how you were raised I guess so to speak, it's got small part to do with it but not a whole lot, I would say.

So bury whatever that may be in your head or heart about your parents, know that it wasn't your fault, and just try to concentrate on what skills you've got from one or the other.

sorry for the rant. Guess what Im trying to say is, it doesnt matter what happens when you were a kid...what matters is right now. I may be wrong in my thinking, but I feel im kinda right with myself at least.

16. flamepanther

Interesting. Is your mom also a packrat? Mine stacks walls of useless debris up to the ceiling and can never throw anything out.

17. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Wow, my ex girlfriend was diagnosed with bipolar disorder...
    Its been the toughest relationship I've ever been in.
    Try to get your mom help. I know its hard but she/all of you need it.

18. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    YEP, she still has her old car in the garage that hasn't run since '84 and I don't even want to think about how many boxes of old junk she has in the attic, closets, and garage...there's just a narrow path to get the garbage and check the mail.

19. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

My parents never divorced, but aaaalll of my immediate 10-12 circle of friends in HS, their parents were divorced, which I thought was moderately interesting at the time. I was certainly no more stable or less of a fuck-up due to that though.

My family always ate at the table (and still does), though there's no wall separating the kitchen/dining area from the den where the TV is, so it was usually on or at least in the line of sight w/no sound (i.e. Thanksgiving football). It's been strictly couch and coffee table in front of the TV since I moved out nigh ten years ago. I had one apartment with space for a table and just put the weight bench there instead.

20. flamepanther

We've all tried. She doesn't want to hear it and doesn't believe in psychiatric medicine for mood disorders. The only way we'll ever be able to get help for her is if she does something committable. :( 

I'm "lucky" enough that I only inherited major depressive disorder from her and not full-blown bipolar (major depressive is less fun but easier to treat).