Did your first toy influence your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omegatron, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know it may be a strange question, but did the first TF you ever got influence the rest of your collection? My first TFs were G1 Starscream and Thundercracker. Ever since, I've always favored the Decepticon toys over Autobots. Does anyone else feel similarly about their collecting habits?

2. misternoodle

misternoodle Banned

pities the guy who started his collection with g1 wheelie.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Not really. Although my first TF being Sideswipe surely accounts for me loving Lamborghinis.

4. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    No, my first TF was Trailbreaker and I don't have an affinity towards him. The toys I have the most fond memories of do. Soundwave, Starscream, and Grimlock are my favorites now, mostly because they were my favorites as a kid.

5. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    yes! i found hi-Q from my 1987 power master prime and that started the Prime collection

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  6. Irony

Irony fangirl

Yes. I started with Movie Legends Blackout and I still go for the Legends size.

7. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not really. My first TF was the minibot Windcharger and I currently don't have any particular soft spot for or special appreciation of the character.

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Yes, sort of. My first toys (G1) were my favorite characters, so I'm very partial to updates of G1 lines like Classics more than the movie line. And since Bluestreak was my first toy I'm more the Datson than Seeker completist. Can't wait for Universe Smokescreen. I love doorwings and don't consider them kibble at all.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Not at all but then yes... I'll get to explaining that.

My first Transformers were Soundwave and a blue Optimus. I had those as a kid. Lost both eventually. And then I never bought another Transformer until Armada. During much of the 90's I was into all the Toybiz Marvel figures. Sure I bought a few Armada and Energon figures, but nothing got me back into TFs until Classics.

Oh, and my favorite characters are Prowl and Starscream too. Not really influenced much by my original toys.

However, I do have to say that buying one toy of a particular line tends to get me into buying more from that line, which more often than not I end up regretting later on. Armada, Energon, GIJoe: Venom vs Valor... I could really do without now, and I'm really thinking about selling them all off. Just for some Classics cash.

10. darthgordy

darthgordy Well-Known Member

My first Transformer way back then was a Red Bumblebee (not Cliffjumper). I swapped it for yellow Bumblebee when I was 10 (wish I hadn't now 20+ years later).

As a supposedly grown-up I got an original Bumblebee off ebay (the collection from my youth disappeared long ago) Movie legend Bumblebee, modified Movie Bumblebee (in Scorponok double pack) and Animated Activator.

So yes, I started with a small Bumblebee and now collect only Legends class and Activators.

g

11. Vampyr

Vampyr Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    i started with a Helicopter (Rotorstorm G1.5), and yes, that's influence my collection, i take every new molds of transfocopters (not repaint or double, except in the case they are better than the original)

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

My first TF was Armada Hot Shot and his mini-con Jolt. While collecting TF's as a whole is not influenced by either, I am trying to get every mini-con mold that you could only get with a larger figure during Armada, like Over-Run, who only came with the Armada Bendy Prime variants (not the Cybertron Bendy Prime, who got Over-run replaced with one of those stupid Planet Keys. I'd actually buy that entire Deluxe-5-pack WM exclusive on sight if all of those figures had their mini-cons.).

13. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Not really. You can only go so far in TF collecting with a TM Cheetor.

Especially at the age of four-five.

14. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

First one was Hot Spot, always loved G1 but never got any new ones besides him, always got garage sale or goodwill ones. Guess thats why I am heavily enthused about animated, I get updated figures I never got the chance to have as a kid

15. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That depends on if you are asking my first as a kid or an adult. As a kid, my first one was Skywarp and I have a few seekers in my collection but it did my influence my collection. However, as an adult, my first one was Alt. Bluestreak/Silverstreak. Since then, I have been pretty partial with the Datsun/Nissan trio.

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    In a way it may have, but not regarding a favored faction. My first toy was G1 Bluestreak back in 84. I seem to prefer realistic alt modes the most, I guess that may be a factor. But I like the Decepticons better.

17. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Well my first transformer was a beat up Ultra Magnus cab. I didn't even realize who he was until after the "dark age" of my teen age non-collecting years. I don't even remember playing with him that much.

I'm not really sure it it seeded my current love for Ultra Magnus or not.