Did you/will you go to College

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rxlthunder, Aug 9, 2012.

?

Did you/will you go to college/university?

1. I will be going to college/university

26.5%
  2. I am in college/university/I am done with it

61.8%
  3. I do not have plans of going there

4.4%
  4. I did not go there

7.4%
  1. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    This is something I'm doing for a friend somewhere else, but out of all of you presumably lovable posters on this site, how many of you have plans of or are done with college? And if you haven't gone to college, what do you have plans of doing and/or what do you do?

2. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

I graduated high school earlier this year, so I am planning to go to college this fall

3. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I took a year off after high school, then went to college for 3 years. I probably would have gone longer but I had gotten a full time job in my third year, so sticking in the corporate world became more of a priority.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I not only went to college (well, university), I completed a postgraduate program. Getting a career in science and engineering requires at least an undergraduate degree.

In fact, there's very few careers these days that don't require some kind of academic or vocational study. In Canada, Universities usually cater to fields like science/medicine, business, and humanities, and Colleges focus on trades and vocational courses. Neither is better than the other, but the differences will reflect what kind of knowledge and skills a person is looking to learn.

Where you end up will depend to at least some degree on what you studied, so it's important to know where you want to go. But at the same time, there's an element of chance, and plenty of choices along the way, so it's also important to study something you enjoy, and want to make a part of your life for a long time. I'm of the mind that there's no education that doesn't make you a better person in some way, especially when you can keep in mind you you're not trapped along one educational path.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I plan on going to college. I hope to start my acting career there.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm on my 2nd Masters. Didn' t want to get stuck in one career

7. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Currently enrolled at IU.

8. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    It was a total waste of time and money jobs-wise (still unemployed since graduating three years ago), but I did meet my wife there, so on a personal level, totally worth it.

9. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Yup, hopefully i'll be starting at Derby university in September provided I get the right grades, if not, then i'll hopefully get to Coventry.....if I don't get the right grades for that then i'll probably die :lol 

10. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What did u go for that u can't find a job?

11. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Entering my last year. Hopefully I can move on to graduate's school when I'm done with this rat cage.

12. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    business management. every entry-level job i've gone for has wanted past experience (!). that, or my degree hasn't been specialized enough. doesn't help that I'm A) an immigrant and B) disabled (can't walk without crutches/walker), so i suppose its a whole bunch of factors working against me.

13. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

College? I didn't even finish highschool! I already have a career that pays me more if not just as much as most degrees could get me minus the heavy debt load. So why take on debt for a paycut?

14. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh I see, yeah my degree needs 2 years experience for every job. I have 1 year clinical and 1 year research, so now I have to do another year in clinical. (LMSW) Just got an internship for the next year though, so I should be ok to look for a job next summer hopefully.

15. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do plan on going to college in a few years, though I'm not 100% sure what I'll be going for.

16. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Some pretty far off plans, but when I finish 6th year I intend to go to College and take a 3D animation course. Thats still 2 or 3 years of though :p 

17. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I went to college, graduated, and I am now working in a field completely unrelated in every possible way to what I took, making more money (somewhat) than I would be anyway.

The money isn't what led me to the job, I have this job because there was ZERO work in my field of study. Well... there were jobs buy "You must have 15+ years of experience". I was in an interview and the guy ended with "We really want somebody with experience" and I threw at him "And how do I get the experience, if nobody is willing to let me earn it?" He actually LIKED that response (what..). But I didn't get that job :p 

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just graduated this past May from Arizona State University. It was definitely worth it on a career/life level because I was able to network enough to get a full time job a month after graduating.

19. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You have to do internships, do them while you are in school so when you are done you have your degree and experience.

ILD's advice to you youngin's out there reading this. Even intern when you are in High School if you can. I'm interning in the county government right now and in the summer we have students in High School who come in to intern.

20. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I dropped out of college my first time around after a semester and a half, but went back to The University Of Maine at Orono about 5 years later.

I graduated in 2003 with a Mechanical Engineering degree and now work as a Manufacturing Engineer in a factory that makes suspension and steering components for Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Subaru.

It's a great job; I love it!