Did you like the Mandarin twist in Iron Man 3?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ErbFan28, Sep 10, 2016.

?

Did you like the Mandarin twist?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Used to hate it, and the movie, but I've actually come to think of IM3 pretty fondly in regards to other MCU films. Twist isn't great but I think it was a good way to handle a character that at the time seemed outside the realm of MCU villains. Maybe after Dr. Strange it would work better.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Terrible twist and terrible movie. Poorly written and fuck Shane Black with his Christmas settings.

3. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    No I don't. Either they use a version that is somewhat faithful to the comics or don't use him at all.

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never saw much of the Mandarin in the comics, so I didn't care that they changed him for the movie. Worked for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes? Basically I didn't mind it. I think the idea of a Mandarin is what Killian latched onto and the whole Trevor decoy thing was fine. The fact that Marvel are now retconning it so that the 'real' Mandarin shows up is all good for me.

But they better cast him as an evil Chinese warlord. Andy Lau for the job or GTFO.

6. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Yes. It was something creative done with a terrible, stereotype villain.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think it helped that Iron Man 3 felt like the least necessary movie of the Marvel crop. You could skip over the movie and it really wouldn't take away anything from feeling like you were in the loop on the Marvel film universe. Doesn't really help the case that once they get around to the real villain of the film he's boring, generic, forgettable, and lacks a costume. The lack of costumed villainy in a universe where the good guys wear comic book looking costumes is starting to a problem with the Marvel films.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I wasn't fan of the so-called "twist", but really, the entire movie is dog shit and completely useless to the arcing MCU as not one single thing carries over to anything else other Tony briefly mentioning in Civil War that he blew up some of his suits once, so the lame Mandarin thing didn't specifically make or break the movie overall.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I would've been fine with it if the MCU hadn't already hinted at his rings.

10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Nah, not really, thought it was kinda stupid... but then again, the entire movie...well, it wasn't their best effort imho.

11. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generally I don't like things they change from the comic, and this was one of the biggest. Then again if I was in charge the whole Iron Man story would have been set during the Vietnam war, not in modern times. Jarvis would have been a human, Pepper would have simply been a secretary, and Iron Man would have fought Mandarin much earlier, who would have been an Asian criminal mastermind with 10 alien power rings. He would also have fought Black Widow and Hawkeye (seperately) in early movies to set them up to be redeemed for the Avengers, which would NOT include Captain America until the second Avengers film, but would have had Ant Man and the Wasp!

• Like Like x 1
  12. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    That sounds awesome, but where would you set the other films? And when would the Avengers be formed, the 80s or 90s?

13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I wasn't a fan of the twist. They already had the perfect way to introduce the Mandarin set up in the first Iron Man with the multi-national terrorist group that called themselves the "10 Rings". Not to mention, the cosmic threat Stark had just faced with the Avengers. I was expecting they would continue to expand on those points with Iron Man 3. But instead, I felt they completely squandered that set-up by making Mandarin just an actor who was just a stand in for another, less interesting, villain.

14. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

15. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

I voted no. The movie was mediocre and not much was of value. The best thing about it is that SHIELD agents like Fury and Colston weren't in it.

16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Not only was the twist poor done, but so many great plots from iron man's past were either turned in joke plot point (remote armor) or the core theme was un recognizable from its original intention (extremis). There was another one, but am not recalling it at the moment.

17. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

I actually kinda like it, however i do understand why people hate it...