Did you like the Mandarin twist in Iron Man 3?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ErbFan28, Sep 10, 2016.

?

Did you like the Mandarin twist?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes or No?

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    No. I wanted to see Tony Stark fight a kung-fu criminal mastermind.

[​IMG]

3. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Killian did know kung fu though

4. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

No. If the Mandarin twist was dramatic and the false Mandarin a badass henchman in his own right I might have appreciated it. Instead the film portrayed it as, "Hey, you know this Mandarin guy who we're selling as the main antagonist? He's really just a comedic actor! Isn't that hilarious?!? LOL!" Except it wasn't actually funny. If it had been I would be more forgiving.

I did not find it dramatic or funny. Therefore it seemed like a waste of time to me.

5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I really don't liked it at all they should get Fin Fang Foom appears in the final battle and kills Killian.

6. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I wasn't a big fan of the 3rd villain in a row for Iron Man being another evil businessman but I thought the twist actually worked in terms of storytelling. I was surprised.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    No. It felt neither dramatic nor humorous and really a waste of a legendary villain. The twist also came about because the director wanted to keep the Iron Man movies grounded even though Thor and Avengers showed that alien tech existed in the MCU. :mad: 

8. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Nah. It turned what would be the main villain into another dick in a business suit. He did have powers, but he held onto that particular card until the end.

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yes

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes. I liked the twist. I loved that this big bad scary guy is a drugged out drunken actor.

11. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I never liked the Mandarin in the comics, so it never bothered me. Iron Man is a great hero, but he has some really weak villains. I thought the twist was the most interesting part of the movie, and it was a great criticism of how the media operates. Plus, The Mandarin was hardly a great villain up until the twist either as some people like to say. He had a few good scenes that made him look menacing, but he wasn't a character with motivations like Killian. Plus, I thought Trevor was funny

12. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I am still meh towards it. On one hand I thought it was a cool surprise, and I still find Trevor himself hilarious. On the other hand I can certainly see how upset many fans were, especially after Mandarin looked really awesome in the trailers and the first half of the film, he was genuinely intimidating. Even the scene where he enters the house in his hood and surrounded by security, that was really cool.

That said, the Mandarin twist was not the sole problem of Iron Man 3 let alone the only reason I dislike it as a whole.

13. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I liked it. As it dodged all the racist overtones that Mandarin embodies. Plus Trevor was great.

14. algo448

algo448 Amateur Procrastinator

News Credits:
    The Iron Man movies had never been about fighting kung fu wizards, and it did manage to surprise a lot of people, so it's all fine.

15. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    In the context of the film, yes. I thought Guy Pearce's (forgot the character's name, tellingly) plan to create an over-the-top stereotypical middle eastern/eastern terrorist figure was actually a pretty cool idea for a superhero movie twist. I don't think it was particularly well-executed, though, mainly because of how bland the real villain was and the film itself sort of fell apart for different reasons.

16. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yes. Trevor was my favorite part of an otherwise garbage movie.

17. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    No.

Trevor was funny, but otherwise everything about that movie was pretty terrible

18. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

No, I thought and still would've preferred that the twist happens, that Trevor tells Tony the location of Killian, where he goes to. But just when Killian reveals himself to be the Mandarin, he gets hit by a fiery blast, to show Trevor back as Mandarin supe up on extremis.

Then reveals that even though he was brought into the plan to be "Mandarin" he took to the role all too well (also believing that trevor was now an act and has lost himself to the character that is The Mandarin, after mental scarring of seeing the true corruption of the world and in-depth method acting procedures ) and started plotting behind Killian with a few loyal extremis soldiers to only use Killian to get to that point. Creating a new stable extremis formula behind his back as well, regulated and controlled by rings to stabilize him. He takes out Killian and vows to continue making examples out of all leaders of the world just like the president to overthrow and control the world, leading it into a better ruling.

reciting some lines from Sun Tzu about knowing your enemy, to further drive in the psyche of The Mandarin and the overall design concept of him based off of being obsessed with Sun Tsu like Feige states.

Then Iron Man has the exact same type of battle with Mandarin jumping out of various suits to try and grab the regulating rings off him as they fight around and through the oil rig.

Add in Rhodey saving the President to become Iron Patriot to focus on the rest of the extremis soldiers, and Pepper beats up a still standing Killian.

19. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure I guess, I didn't really care much when watching the movie. They turned a c-lister villain into comedic relief and did it alright I suppose.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    No I did not, because it meant I didn't get to see Sir Ben Kingsley use magic and kung fu to kick the shit out of Iron Man. I was fucking robbed.

• Like Like x 1