Did you have a job when you were a teenager?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jun 10, 2012.

?

As a teen, did you have a job?

1. Yes

78.2%
  2. No

21.8%
  1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been working at my local movie theatre for a little over two years. I got hired when I was 16. One thing I had noticed during my last two years of high school is that less than 50% of my classmates had jobs, and some had amazing vehicles and didn't have to pay for anything...spoiled bastards. When I was younger I thought everyone my age had a job. This leads to my question.

Who here is a teen and has a job and who had a job when they were a teen?

2. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

i'm 17 and ive never had a job

3. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I didn't work during high school. But I didn't have a car either. I didn't even get my drivers license until I was 18, the summer after I graduated. Got my first job in the fall.

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I started working at 14 to save money for a car. Kids should get a job to earn their own money, and start learning how to be responsible with it.

5. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

I got my job at 19... So... Does that count?

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, started working at 18 (never had time before due to study commitments). I was taught from an early age that I should work hard for anything I want in life, as I came from a working-class background where we often had to make do with what we had. I've worked ever since then.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sadly i'm in the same boat too.

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I game tested for Konami for a summer but that was it.

I went to school overseas so getting a job was pretty much impossible.

9. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I'm 15 and I had a small, part-time job up until about early February this year. Need to find another one now.

10. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

I had a job, but I was bad about keeping said jobs. I went to a high school in a really wealthy area and had classmates that were driving 50-80,000 dollar cars. Thats just the way it is sometimes.

11. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got my first job at a local movie theater when I was 15. I had restricted hours during school and my parents drove me to work untill I turned 16 and got my drivers license.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I had a self-run business, but like work at retail? God no.

13. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I got my first job washing dishes in a restaurant at 13.

14. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well I don't know how it is in Illinois (I will actually be traveliong there Tuesday) but in CA you have to get a work permit and those are becomnig harder to get, you have to have good attendance and grades in order to get your work permit and your parents have to sign off on it. A lot of teenagers now adays don't have a job because they have a feeling on entitlement not earning something or someitmes their parents don't want them to have a job during the school year because they fear it will have a negative impact on their grades. The way some of my students act I wouldn't hire them....ever. A lot of students rather have the time to socialize or go skating or something like that.

When I was a teenager I was allowed to have a summer job (I was a straight A student and my parents feared it having a negative impact on my studying time, and I was also heavily involved in music after school like 7th period jazz band and paino lessons after school) During the school year I was allowed to babysit, do chores for money and taking care of neigbor's pets and mail and such while they were on vacation. I still had ways of warning money and I never had anything handed to me.

So summer after my freshman year I worked in a nursing home. Summer after my sophomore year I worked as a cashier at my neighbors car wash (who I also babysat for). Summer after my junior I worked as a bookeeper/dispatcher for my other neighbor's towing and auto transport company (we was a young owner), he taught me how to drive a sticl shift and how to tow a car and stuff like that as I was getting my license. We worked in the office in Watsonville/Santa Cruz and the trucks ran in San Jose about 45 minutes away. I earned tons of money, as I did dispatching and bookeeping during the week then ran the service truck during the weekends. The service was a pickup truck that did non-towing servies, changing a tire, locked your keys in your car, and jump starting a car. So my senior year of high school came and with the money I was earning (and saving for college) my parents said I could work 3-6 weekdays and weekends as long as my grades and everything else was good. I soon learned how to operate the flatbed two truck and on the weekends instead of running the servie truck I ran one of the faltbed tow trucks. Can you imagine calling for a tow truck and out pops a 17 year old kid who practically needs a ladder to get in and out of the truck?
    Off I went to college but whenever I came back for the winter break, thanskgivign break, spring break and summer I had a job waiting for me plus a second job as a waitresss, when in college I literally never had a break.
    In college during my first two years I worked as an EMT, and junior year I moved into an apartment so I never went back to the towing and waitressing. I worked two jobs in college both as an EMT (mostly at night) and working at Mervyns department store. I stopped EMT for a while (didn't like cleaning up dead kids) and worked the graveyard shift at a gas station, alone, it scared the hell out of me and taking 24 units in college (a lot) and working two jobs both during the day and all night, plus music performances and theater performances and rehearsals and it was taking it's toll on my body, I literally wasn't sleeping, so I keot the job at Mervyns and that was that.

This is why my illness is effectively killing me emotionally. I was so strong, and physically capable of doing a lot....now I'm not, it's so different now and that hurts more.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I got a job as soon as I was legally able. Worked through high school, on and off through college as my schedule allowed.

16. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

i used to work at a restaurant but had to quit due to recent events.

17. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got a job washing dishes at Shenanigans when I was 17.

18. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    job

I did the summer job programs in school and I voluntered allot.

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I did some lawn-mowing for some neighbors/friends, but otherwise no.

20. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Worked in a restaurant doing all the shitty jobs. Boy was that an eye opener.