Did you guys ever take a really damn long time setting up a shelf?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I have like 11 comic book figures, or what I identify as comic figures for myself that I had. They were kinda sitting around doing anything. So today, I decided to finally do something with them.

I have to say this was the most frustrating thing in the world to do. Getting them to stay on those dumb risers that I have was a pain and a half. Like 30 minutes per figure. The shelf is unfortunately to small for all this, but I think I made it fit.

But this is the end result. It is Hardhead, Drift and Silverbolt being ambushed by Butcher, Thunderwing, Darkmount, Lockdown, Lugnut, Skull Grin, Teradive, Bludgeon and Banzai-Tron.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like it! the poses are great, but Silverbolt (The big kneeling one) isn't a comic book character. He's G1 cartoon... Superion leader!

Love it!

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Thanks for the kind words. I just got tired of lining the toys straight forward. So I wanted to see what I could do with them. Not sure if I want to do this again though. It's annoying to setup these dominos. I know in a couple of days one will fall and the rest will follow. LOL.

As for Silverbolt, I already have Superion on the classics shelf, so I am using him as my IDW Silverbolt. They actually look extremely similar. Funny enough, this scene from the comic goes perfectly with the scene above.

[​IMG]

4. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Nice! I'm not much into the comics besides a few spotlights, but yea man, that all really rocks! I especially love the plans in alt. mode.

5. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

I think the most complex thing I've done setting up my shelves is having Lugnut holding Tuner Skids' arms so that Shockwave can shoot him in the face.

6. MasterxBlaster

MasterxBlaster THUGFORMER

News Credits:
    DIZZZAM!! Dude that looks sick!! You may think them risers are dumb but shoot they made your epic battle that much more DOPE! For the space you had, and the amount of figures you have posed, i have to say MISSION COMPLETE!!

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Man, the comics are really great. You should look into them. I read all of em on my iPad going to work and back on the train commute. Some are better then others.

As for this display, the biggest pains in the asses were Darkmount and Skullgrin. Those figures suck ass to begin with, so I wanted to put them in a pose where there mining axes actually looked like they could do some damage. Getting them on those damn stands was annoying as hell.

The planes in alt mode was done cause Thunderwing is too small. So to me, he is flying in from far way with Terradive.

But thanks for the kind words. Glad people like it.

8. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Nice! Good eye on using Thunderwing's size to create a perception of depth. This is going to take you far in your photo journies young padowan! LMAO!

Also, you can press edit, and then just delete double posts.

9. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As someone who has very little display space, I can really appreciate just how difficult this must have been for you. Smashing job :thumb 

10. ThunderbeePrime

ThunderbeePrime Loved Botcon 2012

Now that's an awesome display.

11. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can just see you yelling at people that get near the cabinet "Don't bump that- move, get away!"

12. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aight, so I love what you did with your other shelves with the background and everything, but...just not feeling the same kind of "WOW!!! factor" here.

I think it might be the fact that it's that crowded there or maybe it's because I don't have as strong emotional attachment to these figs, but I think that the scene might benefit more from having the autobots in a corner instead of in the middle, it just looks weird to me with figures being cornered and see them so close that they could hit eachother with the barrels of their guns, whilst the melee guys don't seem that threatening either since they don't have enough room to actually swing their weapons.

I really like what you did with the jets though :) 

13. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The closest two events on setting up shelves that took me a long time would be when setting up my collection when I got back into TFs (all of them were in storage, around 41 or so at the time of June 2011) It took me an hour to find and set up everything. The second event took me 40 minutes as I rearranged the positioning of my shelves (I use a bookshelf by the way) and moving around figures and putting some out to keep them safe was a tedious task but it all went well which is what counts. And damn, that's some crazy displays you have there A77!

14. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

A great setup made with little room, great job Alucard77.

15. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I actually agree with you on your points. I need to hit ikea and get some more Billys. That will give it the extra room needed.

Initially I was going to do the autobots in the corner and actually started it out that way. But then it looked like an avalanche of Decepticons one behind another. Thats when I came up with the idea of the Autobots being surrounded on all sides.

If I had the space, I would space them out a lot more, which wouldn't make it look as busy as it looks. I like to space my figures, and by far that is the busiest shelf I have.

But the way I think of it, they are about to get tackled into a pile. So everyone is rushing them, and they had their guns pulled. If you actually see butcher, he is using the knife and actually knocking the gun away from his face. You cannot really see that in the pic.

It's like they are all trying to get their shot off before they get pounded.

16. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    looks awesome! really enjoy the energy in that scene.

i don't take a long time setting mine up per se, but i fiddle with them for fucking ever.

they're constantly in motion - changing sight lines and distances between figs. tomorrow is going to be a big change as i'll be picking up my PoL from the post.

can't wait!

17. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i use to take pride in setting up nice displays, then my collection grew to a size that made it impractical.

=[

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Haha, well your collection is my motivation, so I figured some action couldn't hurt.

This definately needs better spacing and better sight lines. Wider Billy should help this. It would give it an extra 6 inches at least.

Not sure what I am going to do when Battle Tanker comes. I was planning on having a show down between Battle Tanker Optimus and Nemisis Prime. So gotta figure out how it all plays out.