Did you grow up to be want you wanted to be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KA, May 18, 2012.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To the grown ups, what did u wanted to be when u were 10? Did it pan out? Would 10 year old u want to kick your grown up ass?

2. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

I'm not an adult yet, but I already know I can't do what I wanted to do at 10. My eyesight isn't good enough for me to be a fighter pilot...:( 

3. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

I wanted to be a midwife :) 

I am now a nurse who is half-way through my grad dip in Midwifery :D 

So, yeah.....I got what I wanted ;) 

4. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't remember what I wanted to do when I was 10. However I realized the summer after my senior year of high school I wanted to work on video games. And that is what I have done for the last 17 years. I love my work but sometimes I think it would have been nice to have wanted to do something that has a better pay scale.

All in all I can't complain and I don't think my 10 year old self would kick me for being a video game tech.

5. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

I kinda did. I wanted to make videogames, but that didn't pan out. Instead, I program city government software. Eh, I guess I didn't really...

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well as a kid, I had rather naive & unrealistic expectations as to what someone like me could do in life, especially with a level of certainty that parents & teachers tended to feed us. I suppose certain things are never out of the cards completely, but in all fairness, I have just about as much of a chance of being Batman or working on the X-Files as I do of being an automotive engineer or criminal lawyer. Guess I also wanted to be a Power Ranger (which is kinda funny since I've never had an interest in perusing any other sort of acting or media), but that was more of a comical goal than anything else.

I'm still able to buy a bunch of the toys I want, though. :D 

7. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    Hell no! I'm 34 years old and 10 year old me would kick me square in the balls. I make good money in my career but it's absolutely not something I enjoy.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't think I'd enjoy getting kicked in the nuts either, even if it was rather profitable.

9. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I was 5 I wanted to be a doctor or a wizard. I guess I have technically succeeded with both of those.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

**checks bank account**

Nope, still not a millionaire.

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I never wanted to be anything.
    Except probably a super hero or something like that.

I always just wanted to do what I want to do.

And I still want that. Guess I have to become a millionaire but I have to yet figure out how... work gets you nowhere.

12. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    *looks around, sees uniform* It's got a badge, but it doesn't say F.B.I. anywhere on it. However, if my 10 year old self could see what I do today I think he'd be pleased. My job isn't anything I had dreamed of doing, but I actually enjoy it. I sometimes have to remind myself of that on the more stressful days. All in all I'm fairly pleased. The pay could be a little better, but of course that could be said for many jobs that pull in less than 6 figures.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Nope. When I was ten, I wanted to be a stage magician like David Copperfield.

Nevertheless, I think ten-year-old me would look at present-day me with a sense of admiration. I've achieved a whole lot of things today that my former self could never have dreamed of achieving.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I was 10, I knew I wanted to be a biological scientist of some kind, move down to the United States and get American citizenship. Twenty years later, I have a Ph.D. in Immunology and Molecular Pathogenesis, work on HIV/AIDS research and am currently in the process of applying for a green card. So, yeah, I'm pretty much exactly where I wanted to be.

15. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    I wanted to become a Train Engineer.

Instead I became an unemployed man with talents in Multimedia Design and Graphics.

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    not really, batman beat me to it....

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Nope.....I came out of TopGun wanting to be a fighter pilot. I was in the Air Force cadets but I musn't have wanted it that much seeing as teenage TigerBlade decided against Officer Training due to not thinking he'd get through the strict initial stage.

One of the very few things I regret not doing.

18. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I wanted to be a paratrooper when I was a kid. When I was 18 I joined the Army and did a 4 year stint in the 82nd Airborne and got to do 41 jumps. I had always imagined myself as a career solider but I got tired of the deployments, and weeks/month out in the field and got out when my 4 years was up. Now I work from home everyday as a programmer. Not nearly as fun, but the stress is low and the money is good. I'd be lying if I didn't say I missed jumping and being a 60 gunner though.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ha, good question. The problem is 10 year old me didn't know fuck all. He didn't know what he wanted, what he had to do to achieve it if he did know, and didn't have the self awareness to develop himself to know what he wanted. If you see what I mean.

So jobwise he wouldn't really have a clue, but because i have been in my dream job previously, he'd be disappointed that I'm not still in there. I could probably be able to explain why I'm not there, but I doubt if 10 year old me would actually understand.

Having said that, he'd think I was very cool, most kids do (dang better not say that too often :redface2: ) and I think he'd be pleased with how I turned out as a person.

Now having said that, if he didn't like how he turned out and wanted to kick my ass, I wouldn't hesitate in kicking HIS ass instead. It would teach him a valuable lesson or two,

i) You'll take what you're given, and like it.
    ii) Life is NOT fair.

Ha ha take that you little shit!

20. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I was 5 or something I said I wanted to be an Astronaut

lol screw that noise (I'm studying to be a computer scientist/software engineer)