Did you ever break a TF when you first transformed it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Glitcher, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    I did. Concept Camaro Bumblebee. The damn automorph gimmick on the hood jumped a notch and wouldn't fold down properly. Even after I got it exchanged, I still thought it was the hardest toy I've had to transform.

This is becoming something of a pattern. Last weekend I picked up Animated Jazz and was terrified of breaking his windshield because of the tight fitting with his legs. And before that, Universe Sunstreaker's parts are so compressed in car mode that I have to take extra care not to break anything when I pull them apart. And let's not forget the countless help threads from fans who don't want to knacker their Masterpiece Prime during transformation.

I know that more articulate, anthropormophised robots require transformations that are often more complex, but they shouldn't necessarily be more difficult. Take Animated BB for example. It was a breeze just flipping his legs over his head to get most of the transfomation done. No force, no stress. And Universe Silverbolt's transformation, while perhaps a little too simplistic, won't confuse or frustrate fans, let alone kids.

Does anyone else feel that Transformers require a bit more clearence during transformation? Should Hasbro take into account a greater margin of error before their toys lie broken and useless?

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never broken a real TF when I have first played with him, but I have snapped a few KOs in my time. The closest I've ever come to breaking an authentic TF was when I first transformed MP Megatron, even now my heart is in my mouth every time I touch him

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Never did. Hopefully never will.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I broke my Voyager Class Blackout, but that was when I was trying to carry him and other 07 movie toys that I had gotten at the time downstairs so that I could try and photograph them so I could show everybody my collection online.

And there were quite a few toys, mostly the Target scout class, 07 move toys that I believe somebody had messed up before they were even put into the packaging of which I am not going to bother replacing. Then there was Alternator Ricochet and Cybertron Smokescreen with whom they were more-or-less busted when I tried to transform them.

But for the most part, I've been lucky with what TFs I buy.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I broke the flap on Alternator Mirage's abdomen on first transformation. I'd been unlucky enough to get one of the figures that had the glue from fixing the seats in place leaked into the hinge for the flap.
    The store I'd bought it from was miles away and I really didn't feel like dragging all the way back right away. By the time I went back a few days later the store had none left as they'd either all been sold and then returned with the same problem, or just all been sold and kept. The store wasn't going to risk getting anymore in. So I had to choose between just getting my money back and not perhaps being able to find another one of the figure elsewhere, or just keeping my broken one. The busted hinge didn't really affect the figure as the flap locked away securely in both modes, so I just kept the figure. But it did seriously dull my enthusiasm for it.

And Universe Sunstreaker's snug fit in alt mode does give me concerns everytime I go to transform him to robot. It was much worse on first transformation because you're not entirely sure if you're doing it right or just breaking it.

6. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Yeah....the Transformations of some of the newer transformers are definitely way too complex.......to the point where you feel like you're going to break them. This was especially true with the movie line.

I even talked to a mother who was at Wal-mart and she told me about how her and her son had to return a couple of the movie transformers because they couldn' figure out how to transform them. These are supposed to be for kids yet they're too hard to transform to the point that they can and sometimes will break.

That's why the Animated like is so cool if you ask me. Great designs topped with simple and fun transformations=pure win.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I don't think Automorph helps either.

8. Incesticon

Incesticon WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

G1 Prowl in 1985. Christmas day. I was only 5 though...

9. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

yep I have, especially with the animated line, whose ball joints seem really easy to pop off, but they always go back on. Usually though it's always been my fault, too much force and not enough patience.

10. ElSnarfo

ElSnarfo Registered Slacker

Same as the original poster, I too broke my concept camaro on the first try.. Generally hate the movie toys with a passion, too much breakable bits..

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My brother has a few of his original G1 toys that are broke... like Sunstreaker. He said that he had broke Swindle, and supposedly Mom threw it out. In a way, I do feel bad for him, as they were the originals and it would have been nice if they were in mint condition so he could display them at his house.

Of course, he said that I had broken a few of his TFs and Go-Bots when I was real little... I suppose that I've always had some hidden strength, even as a kid.

12. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alt Mirage, because the quality control was crap and there was excess glue in one of the chest flaps joints.

13. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    Powermaster Prime when I was a kid. One of the legs snapped right off.

14. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My MP Starscream ended up with severe stress marks in his shoulder first time I tf'd him, and that joint has since broken. The other shoulder aint much better

JL

15. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    The worst thing is, if I'd known it was glue I'd have been more careful freeing the hinge. The other flap was also stuck, but it swung free after a little bit of pressure, so I was confident I could do the other one too. That was the probem with Alternators: sometimes you had to apply a little more pressure and sometimes you didn't. There was never any really knowing. I thought the flaps were just stiff or clipped to something and needed a little extra nudge to undo.
    Alternators are complicated enough as it is without having to think parts may have gotten glued into place too.
    I see you're in Norfolk. You probably got yours at the same place as me. :p 

16. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    break as in, pop off joints? of course...and yeah, i totally disjointed movie bumblebee in half when i transformed him back into the concept camaro mode..and quite a lot of other figures too..
    broken as in, break parts so they cant be fixed...nope..not yet at least :D 

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I broke G1 Jazz's hood the third time i transformed it. Turns out that they guy on eBay I got it from broke it once earlier and didn't do as well of a repair job as he thought he did.

18. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Universe Nemesis Prime. One of the joints on his lower arms where the arm guards are attached to, snapped. The plastic must've been weak since I wasn't using any force. A bit of Araldite and he's as good as new, almost.

19. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Alt Skids - somehow the SEATS inside him snapped off and now rattle around in there. I feel bad for his passengers :)  Still love it though - darn thing just looks so cool.

20. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I Broke my alternators Prowl the first time I tf'd him. The hinge for the driver seat was so tight that it snapped right off! There's nothing like that sinking feeling when your new Transformer becomes your new BROKEN Transformer. :banghead: