Did you enjoy Beast Machines?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by knook, Dec 30, 2008.

?

Did you enjoy Beast Machines

1. Loved It

31 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Yes

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. No

15 vote(s)
    15.3%
  4. Despise it

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Never Watched It

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. I Should Probably Watch It Again

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've recently bought the Beast Machines DVDs (Today) and I think that the series is great, the story line is absolutely amazing and Megatron in the series was very cleverly written, I agree that the Maximal designs kinda sucked and that the series was very different from any series that had been before it but I enjoyed it and I was wondering if anyone else enjoyed the series.

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I went into watching it with alot of skepticism, but I thought it was a fantastic ending. I didn't like the maximal designs (I don't think they were awful, they just weren't to my tastes) but they served a purpose in the story so I was fine with it. Megatron was just a complete badass throughout, and the final battle I think is one of the best in TF history.

Oh, but Nightscream FTL

3. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    knook, I agree completely with your assessment. BM was a great show all around. Not your typical TF experience (neither was BW for that reason, but it was still closer to traditional TF lore than BM).

4. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I enjoy that series for what it is in the Transformers world i have respect for it. It is okay

5. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beast Wars was quite odd too but I'm kinda sad that we've not seen anything like it since I mean; maybe a completely Cybertronian Series couldn't be too bad or maybe setting it on a Alien Planet (Not like Galaxy Force)

I would love another Beast Wars show to come after Animated

6. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

The cartoon wasn't bad. The mixing of organic and tech really didn't sit to well with me, but I have to give credit where it is do. The toys though were horrible.

7. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, the toys weren't worth buying (maybe a few were)

8. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I did not enjoy Beast Machines.

Honestly I think if it wasn't a Transformers show I may have enjoyed it a bit more. It was a well produced show, but it just doesn't jive with my taste in TF shows. It's even worse as a direct continuation of Beast Wars (which I did like) since it drastically alters character personalities to suit its own story regardless of the character's personality in BW. It's been my least favorite series for years, now it's tied for least with TF:Animated.

Maybe I just don't like Marty Isenberg's take on Transformers :( 

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I remember when it first aired I found it interesting but never really watched much of it. I bought the box set when it was released since I had just bought the BW box sets and fell in love with the series and watched the series in a couple nights. It's different but it's very well written, just like Beast Wars. I know lots of fans out there dispise it but personally it's the last Transformers cartoon I've been able to stomach.

Edit: I agree the toys were pretty bad. There are some fun ones, particularly the Vehicons but most of the good ones were non-show characters

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I did not like the toys. There were some cool designs, but as a whole they were not that good.

The show was great, though. Minus Nightscream.

11. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Not bad. It was creative and gave the viewer a more futuristic appeal. The toys were below average. I'm glad I bought the show when I did.

12. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

I liked BM because it seemed more appropriate for adults... Unlike the previous TF stories, the Autobots (maximals) did'nt have it easy...
    To really enjoy BM, it is necessary to previously watch the Beast Wars.
    Not alot of caracters in the BM series but everyone of them participated alot in most of all episodes.
    My only complaint would be to have "missed" the action in-between both BW and BM (Where Megatron took control of Cybertron).
    That would be an interesting series...

13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I have to say I did enjoy the show but I'd have to agree with ZeroMayhem here. If it wasn't a Transformers show, I probably would have liked it more.

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    It was okay, minus the character rapeage...I really didn't like the fact that they changed most of the characters from BW the way they did. Primal being a zealot didn't sit too well with me, I missed the old cheesy Silverbolt, Rattrap is much more interested as the team jerk, Megatron becoming a single-minded megalomaniac after being such an interesting character in the previous series.

Great animation, good stories, but the character designs and reinventions brought it down so many notches...

VOTE: I Should Probably Watch It Again.

15. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I loved the show...minus Nightscream and the Plantformer lady.
    I always wondered how Waspinator got BACK to Cybertron though.

16. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fact that it took the BW characters and ascribed them new roles dictated by the requirements of the story rather than logically following on from their histories is a *big* strike against BM for me, no question, but it's not enough to stop me from still really enjoying a lot of what the series did. It wasn't afraid of defying expectations about what Transformers "should be", and that allowed it to some seriously wild things like an entirely organic Transformer, or one who turns into a plant (but I ALWAYS dug Botanica - it's a totally logical extension of the concept of robots in disguise that I fell head over heels for the instant she appeared). Being the only American Transformers series to be entirely plotted out from start to finish from the get-go really helped its storytelling.

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fear, desperation, fascism, genocide, religious fanaticism... Beast Machines touched deep and compelling topics no other TF series has. The greatest Transformers fiction ever written, as far as I'm concerned. I've mentioned several times in the past that if you watch the entire series in 2-3 sittings (like a mini-series), it's a completely different experience than episode by episode. It works a lot better that way.

From a toy standpoint, many of the deluxes & basics in the line were top notch... but it was the BM fiction and RiD toys that together pulled me back into TFs.

18. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love this post, its what I wanted to type but couldn't find a way to put it into the correct words

I also try to separate BM and the BW/G1 continuation

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't get this "character rapeage". (as immature as the term is) With the exception of zealot Primal (which even though I understood, I still didn't like him) every role fit how the character would react in the circustances. Prety much the only character story I didn't like next to NS was the fact that Waspinator didn't get his happy ending like he did in BW.

For instance, Primal, being the only one whom with the Oracle would communicate and put under close scrutiny by his subordinates, not to mention the guilt as losing the Beast Wars and being indirectly responsible for the planet's situation and having to teach his troops how to transform (something that became and issue with them considering the fact that it's their species' nature. It was like teaching them how to breath again) fell back on his faith in the Oracle until it eventually bit him in his munky butt. (when Megatron took advantage of him by corrupting the Oracle)

Rattrap who his whole life was a wise-ass tough guy who never went anywhere without a gun (and when he did expressed great discomfort) was all of a sudden rendered inert due to a virus had nothing to fall back on except for his tech-smarts which weren't all that great. (not that he was ever very good with that kind of stuff, anyway. Unless you count being a dead-aim with a gun as tech-smart) What made matters worse was the fact that everyone belittled him for it. (like that stupid bat-emo-thing I hate so much)

Cheetor pretty much stayed on the exact same track he had started off on in the BW, only it progressed a little faster once Optimus became too dependant on the Oracle.

Megatron just lost his marbles, but he was still smart. After spending who knows how long on a completely technoligical world in a body that was half organic I guess it just finally made something in his head snap.

Silverbolt I didn't get. I guess he was just too dumb to realize that being Jetsorm wasn't his fault. What's worse is that he turned into a total jackass. But maybe it was like with Rhinox who turned bad because his spark was corrupted. (and only turned good after he was dead)

Yeah. As much as I love BM, I like to think of it as a "what if" sequel to BW, and that the "official" G1/BW ending was the last ep of BW.

20. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    This is a pretty excellent analysis of the series, all told.

On balance, I will always count myself as one who did enjoy Beast Machines, but it's not without fairly major flaws. TF is a franchise that I believe to have thrived upon its constant re-invention and fresh perspectives, but there's something I found vaguely deceptive about the way BM positioned itself as a direct sequel to the beloved Beast Wars story, when in fact it had very little intention of actually continuing that show's themes, tone and personalities, and in the process of stamping its own identity often ended up treading heavily on its predecessor's toes. For instance, the inclusion of a darkly jaded, self-hating hero is a fresh and gutsy move for a kids' show, but the fact that they achieved it by illogically twisting the pre-established Silverbolt character to fit that mould makes it a bit of a Pyrrhic victory. :( 

Still, there's no denying that BM was a TF cartoon that demonstrated an unparalleled level of ambition and courage in its convictions. Here was a show that wasn't afraid to really push its characters to their limits, to explore moral grey areas and ask questions; it was a show that took a challenging overarching plot structure and stuck to it, even though it meant eschewing the fast pace and happy endings expected from Saturday morning cartoons; most of all, it was a show that wasn't afraid to break from the settled commercial formula that otherwise defined the franchise, and that genuinely tried to offer something new. Basically, it set standards for itself that it couldn't possibly live up to, and ultimately, it didn't; still, I'll always respect that they made the attempt.

...the designs were bloody ugly, though. ;)