Did you cry when Optimus died back in 1986?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFFan01, Aug 5, 2017.

?

Did you cry?

1. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. No.

57 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

This I can agree with
    I also believe there was a surge in the purchase of outdoor recreation toys in those years

2. Shin Star Saber

Shin Star Saber New Member

I cried when I first saw it in the theater. I was 7. Pretty sure I never cried again after that when we would rent it from video store, and definitely not as an adult.

3. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

No, but I was like 13 when I actually first saw it (around 2004.) May have been a bit surprised by the character deaths at the time though.

4. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

I was only 6 when the movie came out, and I had moved in Europe before the movie came out so I was unaware about the movie. Until I saw on TV season's 3 intro, and I was like WTF??!!, where are the others??? then that was that, never gave it much of a second thought, until I saw the movie in 07 and I was like shit Prime died???? I was 27 at the time, so I didn't cry much, I was mostly in shock and upset, but the Shuttle Attack it was something else, I was like Ironhide, Prowl, Ratchet, Brawn NOOOOOO???

5. Ampere

Ampere One bolt shy

I wasn't even a bun in the oven back in 1986 so I can safely say I didn't cry for his death that year. XP I actually didn't see that movie until I was in my last years of high school (08/09ish? The exact year is still kind of Hazy). I was also well aware of the fact Optimus dies. I didn't cry then but I was still shocked by the body count that movie has.

6. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    I did not see the movie until it was on home video and I was not a big Transformers fan back then so ne tears here.

7. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we take the What If comic into account, then Optimus would have killed Megatron.

8. Altered Prime

There was no Marvel what if comic that pertained to the Transformer movie or any Transformers story.

9. TFFan01

News Credits:
    I'm talking about the IDW story.

10. Altered Prime

I don't recall any IDW comic that was "what if" in nature and for pretained to the 86 movie

11. TFFan01

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. vatarian

vatarian SPIDER8ITCH

My wrigglin' day hadn't yet come in the year 1986, so, no. But I did get misty-eyed the first time I saw the movie in, like, 2012 or something.

Honestly, I've felt more emotional with subsequent viewings. I'd probably sob if I re-watched it today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Altered Prime

• Like Like x 1
  14. MapleSamurai

MapleSamurai MapleSamurai

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I could give the obvious answer of, "no, I wasn't even born yet," but instead I'll say that I didn't cry when I saw Prime die because by the time I actually watched the 1986 movie, not only did I already know that he died in the movie, but that the character of Optimus Prime dies and is resurrected so often in the franchise that it's practically become a running gag.

Chalk it up to the fact that I got back into this franchise because of the first live-action movie, well into the Internet Age, so avoiding spoilers for a then twenty year old movie was virtually impossible for me, especially for a moment that had been repeated, spoofed and homaged countless times by that point.

15. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was 3 or 4 so yeah I cried like there was no tomorrow. Then I saw dark awakening and cried again.

16. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

Well like quite a few people here already stated, I didn't cry in 1986 because I wasn't able to. I wouldn't be around until six years after the film released. My dad might have seen the movie, but I don't know if he cried or not. (Though I can't really ask him since he's kind of... dead.) As for me when I finally saw the film, I didn't cry. Mainly because I had full knowledge that he dies in the film and I had already been exposed to my first Optimus Prime death which would be in 2009 with Movie Optimus in "Revenge of the Fallen." So I kind of accepted it.

My brother on the other hand who's a huge Optimus Prime fan ranted for hours on end about Optimus' death, despite having full knowledge of his death beforehand. It's the reason why he despises Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime so much.

17. AMG

AMG Old School

That scene was a jaw dropper.

18. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus TFW2005 Supporter

I was young, I don't think I cried but I was in shock. It was very shocking.

19. Stoikovich

Stoikovich Well-Known Member

Saw it in the cinema, never liked Autobots so not a problem. Was pretty hopeful that Galvatron would rule the galaxy but it was not to be.

Having said that, I do get funny feelings when Optimus comes to the rescue and The Touch kicks in... a moment up there with Han saving Luke during the trench run

20. SentaiTFMechaLover

SentaiTFMechaLover Well-Known Member

I wasn't born yet but I saw the film for the first time in 1999, when I was 11, and it did make me cry.