Did you cry when Optimus died back in 1986?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFFan01, Aug 5, 2017.

?

Did you cry?

1. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. No.

57 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Marvel's Optimus Prime dies a lot because he likes it. It's like a hobby for him. I lost a computer game? Time to die. :p 

Sunbow's Optimus Prime only died that one time (not including the Japanese material). It could be argued that things would've gone differently for him than they did in the Marvel comics.

2. Venixion

Venixion So-Cal Girl

News Credits:
    In 1986? No. I was too little. At my neighbor's house watching it later? Definitely.

3. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Pretty much this, but at my own house watching it on a DVD borrowed from the library. And I didn't exist in 1986.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

You're also wrong

And I just don't understand why so many fans believe this, especially when the facts are so easily verifiable

Transformers died in season three ,yes they made a three-part so cold season 4 but that was just an attempt to bring the series back the bottom line is Transformers died in season three

more than a full year before the introduction of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the cartoon world

5. Altered Prime

You could try that argument but in the end the Optimus that was seen in the movie adaptation comic was not marvels regular Optimus prime so we can't really say he died more than once either

6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Always in someone's corner

News Credits:
    You are aware the toyline continued until 1990...?

7. Altered Prime

sure.....were you not aware we were not talking about the toy line but the cartoon?

8. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    I was talking about both. The cartoon only lives if the toyline does. So it wasn't the S3 stories that killed the cartoon, but the fact that the toyline was dying.

9. Altered Prime

If you're talking both on the toilet I never died because there's never been more then a year without some transformer figures being released.

And again if the cartoon only lives if the toy mine does and the cartoon died season three ,or even if you want to Say 4 , your original assessment to blame the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is still wrong because the tf cartoon died before the turtle figures were released

10. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    I was saying that S3 didn't kill the show because the line was already dying. Rodimus wasn't the final nail in the coffin, newer toys lie the Turtles were.

11. Altered Prime

And I'm saying that you're wrong to blame only the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I never said the season three killed the show but the show did indeed die during season three

Which was a year Plus before the release of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles mine and cartoon

And since the Transformers as a toy line never really ended I don't really see your point

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  12. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    The trailer did tease that Optimus might die, and I thought he would. The mystery was spoiled when I read the song list for the soundtrack, which I bought on cassette just before seeing the movie. It was still a bit dusty in that theater.

13. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

I was a world-wise 14 year old when I saw the Transformers Movie. Seeing Optimus Prime die didn't make me cry, but it did break my heart a little and reinforced my cynical "the world sucks and is unfair and only Transformers and Robotech aren't afraid to show it" beliefs.

14. Carlitaone

Carlitaone Banned

The deaths in the Transformers animated movie are what killed G1. Loyal fans fell out of love with Transformers after that.

Here's just one example:

15. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Fem-Bot I have no Mum, she choked on it ;)

News Credits:
    I went to see the movie opening day here 8-8-86. I was 9 years old almost 10. I did not cry, but inside I did. After the first 30 minutes shock I was in disbelief. Ironhide, Ratchet, Brawn, Prowl and then Prime. I was sad and heart broken. And it was a few minutes later I saw Starscream die. It was shock! Telling my friends who hadn't seen it was a shock to them also. When we went back to school a few weeks later. That's all we talked about. But losing prime was the most hardest.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Not terribly loyal if they abandoned it...

• Like Like x 1
  17. glinthos

glinthos doomed hometown

No. In the script, Devastator was broken up by a hail of gunfire from Ultra Magnus and a squad of a dozen other Autobots. That scene was never animated, though.

As an aside, your username makes me think of an alternate universe where Carly became Elita One's Headmaster.

18. glinthos

glinthos doomed hometown

True. I blame Nintendo.

The toy-based media franchises of the 1980s flourished in the brief period when the video game market in the US was almost dead after the 1983 crash. Nintendo revived that market almost single-handedly, and TMNT established a foothold just before the video game revival swamped toys in general.

19. Carlitaone

Carlitaone Banned

If Hot Rod would not have got Optimus Prime killed, and Megatron would not have been changed into Galvatron, we could have gotten many more year of G1 like this:

20. Altered Prime

Did you somehow miss Galvatrons in the videos?

Also that's Series would've never have happened if the US cartoon had not lost its popularity so your argument doesn't seem to have any basis in reality

• Like Like x 1