Did Transformers kind of ruin other toys for you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SharkyMcShark, Jul 9, 2010.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    It's come to my attention recently while I was reminiscing about my childhood (as I'm prone to do on a cold winter's day) that the only toys I could ever really get into were Transformers. It wasn't that nothing else interested me, more that nothing else held my attention for more than 2 minutes. Model cars, model planes, standard action figures - nothing took my fancy.

I wondered why this was and came to the (obvious) conclusion that it was because they didn't transform - I once got given a 1:24 scale Porsche Boxter model by a friend for my birthday but never played with it because it just felt... sort of hollow knowing that it didn't transform. Ditto for model planes I used to get from distant relations annually.

Any one else find that Transformer limited their enjoyment of other (non transforming) toylines?

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Nope, I still loved my Star Wars figures and Ninja Turtles and Toy Story toys just as much as Transformers when I was a kid.

3. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Transformers didn't really ruin it, but it did veer me off course, but I still love my Marvel stuff (and the new Iron Man toys), Lego, and Star Wars. So, no.

4. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

Actually yeah it did hahaha. All i wanted from a toy in the future was a toy that could transform, anything else was just sort of cheap lol...except lego, but even lego was a "transforming" sort of toyline

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    nope. motu and star wars and the very ocasionally joe, worked just as good. Besides Lego was always there.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Not so much as a child. In the 80's you had two types of kids. Those with money got TFs, those without got GI Joes. I had me a pretty big GI JOE collection.

But as an adult when I started collecting, I started with Star Wars, moved on to Star Wars Lego, The Simpsons and Movie Maniacs. Then came Transformers. My habit was becoming too expensive to support all these toys. Add to this my love for collecting Transformers grew exponentially as my collection grew.

It was a fairly quick transition from collecting multiple lines to strictly Transformers. I think this is due to the fact of reliving a childhood where I could not afford to get TFs and now I could. Also the fact that there is so much more to a Transformer than any other toy out there.

So yes TFs ruined every single last toy line out there...the best part is that as the years pass the franchise just keeps getting better and better via Hasbro, Takara Tomy and all those not officially- 3rd party companies popping up.

I <3 Transformers

7. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

At the time, no, I still had my Star Wars, He-Man, Centurions, Lego, Subbuteo...

Even then I had more fun with my huge TF battles to the detriment, and eventually contempt, of all other action figures.
    (Though Lego was undeniably a bigger part of my childhood.)

These days, yeah, the only toys I buy are TFs. I may or may not still have battles.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

To me, there's Transformers, Legos, and everything else.

9. chrizgrv

chrizgrv lurker in the depths

I only had Transformers, Power Rangers(mostly just zords), and Batman (animated series mostly) toys. I could not get into just action figures or cars, unless it was a character I really liked such as batman. Transformers had it all, cars, planes etc that were action figures of characters I cared about.

10. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

I didn't grow up then but I loved star wars then I discovered tfs and everything got boring. lol
    Except my re-issue ninja turtles! :lol 

11. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is only Transformers. The other stuff from McFarlane Toys held my interest for a short while. I think it is the toy interaction that makes it for me. You can only pose something so many times before you are done with them. You can transform things over and over again and it would be fun.... It likes a puzzle.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I think it was more of the fact that I liked TF's the MOST, not that they ruined other toys. I have a TON of the original TMNT toys from the 80's-90's. In fact it's a complete set up to the 2nd movie when I stopped buying them.

As of right now though I only collect Transformers and TF related stuff.

13. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Hurm, other than Lego and Beyblade, no other toylines were really that interesting. Huh.

Of course, I'd probably get into Revoltechs if they made some TTGL characters other than Yoko :D 

14. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    i damn near wholeheartedly agree. when i was a kid way back when... i asked for transformers for xmas, i got go-bots. got a handful of the minicars and combiner limbs, but none of the bigger toys or the main characters. i did get the tyco transformers train set for xmas one year...although not as cool as astrotrain or omega supreme by any means. had a huge g.i. joe figure collection, a shit ton of he-man figs, some thundercats, legos (of course), construx, and a few dino-riders. my fort max/castle greyskull/cat's lair/g.i. joe headquarters was a tree stump in my parents' back yard. such fun times mixing the diff figures together...lotsa crossovers were happening in my back yard and in my room long before there were comics and toylines of the like. man it was great. i also was an avid reader of the transformers comics back then too. could not wait for the new issues back in the day. hell, still cant now.

15. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Nope, I still love the little die-cast cars me and my brother played with, and I still cherrish my vintage MOTU figures. To tell you the truth, I played more with MOTU, in a way that a kid is supposed to play with, than with transformers.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    pretty much, i had a huge tf collection, a lot of it was hand me downs, but most were in good shape except ultra magnus and soundwave was so loose he couldn't stand up, but the other toys, i never even got many after about a year of getting them and throwing them to the side. except lego

17. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I would say yes for me. As a child I only wanted Transformers (and seldom got them). So as an adult the only toy I collect is Transformers.

I've tried getting interested in other non-transformer toy lines but generally I find that I have no attachment to them and I get bored. It's a blessing in disguise cause then my place isn't overrun by toys and I've got a focused collection.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I was a kid, emphatically no. Right now, emphatically yes.

19. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Aside from the Binaltech/Alternator line, no TF can replace a nice scale model in terms of accuracy for me.

20. awesomem131

awesomem131 Well-Known Member

It didn't really ruin it for me but I always made transformers my first priority I also collect my superhero toys(especially ironman )and I like gears of war Toys and I got a couple of toystory never really been a fan of gi Joe all I got was snake eyes and storm shadow.