Did Transformers Animated Get The "Raw Deal" From The Get-Go?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jan 27, 2009.

?

Did transformers: Animated Get Shafted From The Get-Go?

1. Yes--this great show hasn't been treated like the premium cartoon/toyline that it really is.

105 vote(s)
    77.2%
  2. No-- hasbro and Cartoon Network have done everything right.

31 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Let's see, where do I start? Was this great show handled poorly? The toyline never got released w/ the debut of the series. As a matter of fact it was released after the show had already went on hiatus. That's not how you build a successful toyline or cartoon series......and yet Animated was so good that it overcame that and was still successful.

The debut of season 3 still hasn't been announced. The series has been on hiatus for far too long...while other big hitters in the CN linup still have new episodes.

This isn't how you treat a toyline/cartoon series that you consider to be one of your premium big hitters.

It was almost as if Hasbro/Cartoon network considered this series to be some kind of second rate fill-in between live action movies. I doubt they were expecting it to go much past season 2......the last episode (a bridge too close pt. 2) was almost written as if it was the SERIES FINALE if it needed to be IMO.

When it was so sucessful, they must've scrambled to hurry up and do a season 3 as a last hurrah for the show.

Now we're hearing that season 3 may be it's last. It'll be a shame if it ends so soon because it has great storywriting, great characters, great animation, (I'm one of the few who liked it.) great toys, and great people creating it on both ends who really do care about the characters and the franchise.

2. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Its been a bit all over the place from a UK point of view, toys have been slow to come out and the show is only on satalite at 8pm. Not exactly a kid friendly

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yes, it would be a shame if it ended. Still, maybe in the future a new Transformers series can continue on in the Animated-verse, just like Armada and Energon (and Cybertron..) are connected. I think the series was created because of rekindled interest in Transformers because of the movie, only someone kind of forgot that succesful movies get sequels? Since that's the big moneymaker, the live action movie stuff probably goes first, causing Animated to somewhat slip into semi-obscurity.

4. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I don't think Hasbro shoulders that much of the blame here... I imagine that they're interested in this succeeding to build the brand (and sell toys).

Though I'm not sure the decision to push back the toyline launch was the best - I mean, I get WHY they did it, and I'm not arguing with how it worked out for them (I'm sure it worked out well) but it may have had the adverse effect of hurting TF Animated's momentum.

5. megaxz01

megaxz01 Transformer up and comer

News Credits:
    As I stated in the other post about the show, if it ends, that leaves me with only Movie and Universe (G1 series,) to collect. Soon as they end, I am completely done with TF, as I never liked the toys that stemmed from the Power Ranger versions of TF (RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron.) I say Power Rangers because during fights they like to announce every single thing they do.

LEFT LASER, RIGHT LASER, TRANSFORM, OPTIMUS PRIME SUPER DUPER LINK TO HYPER POWER FORM!

I buy those DVD's though since my son loves cartoons in general, or I'd have nothing to do with them.

Animated is a show I appreciate.

Should it end, CN didn't deserve to have a good show, neither does Hasbro for not shopping it around to other stations. I bet Nicktoons would love it to suppliment X-Men, Iron Man, and all the other shows they are trying to get.

I can't change history though. Should it end, I only have two more TF brands to support, and I hear one more is going on Hiatus (Universe,) which saves me a lot of money, and Hasbro loses one more customer of multiple brands.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    This. The stores near me are either clogged with the Ratchet/Bumblebee 2-pack, have absolutely nothing, or have seemingly just gotten Wave ONE.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well around here the airings are at the same hour as CN big shots such as Ben 10 and we actualy got lots of marathons for the show.

However our toy distribution truly sucks, still Blackarachnias and Ratchets in the stores, and when we get something new it's like 4 units for store and it disappears extra-fast.

8. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

I flip flop on this at the moment since CN isn't saying anything - yet.

But I'd like to think that an Animated sequel similar to Ben 10 Alien Force is in the pipeline.

We'll see.

I'd hate to think of a show based on The Movieverse.:( 

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Doesnt really come as a surprise does it?
    Between shoehorning the past 4 shows into stupid timeslots, and the distribution of the toys, add that to the random and unwarranted price hike, it almost seems like they've been trying to kill the line for years.

Maybe they want people to go back to buying action man.

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well to be fair, if handled right the movie designs CAN translate to some pretty cool stuff out of the big screen.

Just look at the newest IDW comics, the robots look awesome, not to mention that the designs would probably be "cleaned up" more, considering that not everybody that work in animation industry are gods.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Here in the UK, if I wasn't already a TF fan purposely trying to seek out these products and shows I'd be almost unaware such a thing as Transformers: Animated even existed. Heck, even being a fan I'm not entirely sure TF:A does exist here. :p 

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea it does feel like Animated was really getting the shaft from the start and there was a contest to see how many knives they could put in it's back before it would fall over dead.

Shows with fewer episodes and fewer seasons get reruns but Animated seems to be on some weird list of shows they can't show again. The toy line gets delayed and now they expect the toys to sell with no cartoon on.

Between the way they kick around the Universe line and now they are kicking around Animated you'd almost think Hasbro wants there to be nothing but the movie line. Gee Hasbro if want nothing but movie stuff at least be nice enough to say the only fans you want are movie fans. I really enjoy the Animated cartoon even if the toys weren't my cup of tea, but hey if I'm not wanted oh well I'm not wanted.

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Here's what I've more or less gathered on the history of TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED.

Hasbro, being rather "blah" about the Armada/Energon/Cybertron deal with Takara/Takara-Tomy, decided they create a new Transformers series stateside, so they could get ALL of what they wanted and not 30% of what they wanted. That being said, before the movie was even released, Transformers Animated had gone in to full swing production (I first hand got to play with some of the toys at BotCon 2007).

Internally, Hasbro was excited about the prospect of Transformers Animated, and the engineering and design work done by the Transformers team headed by Eric Siebenaler and Derrick Wyatt.

When the movie was released, it blew Hasbro's expectations away. $700 Million worldwide and the toys couldn't stay on the shelves long enough for kids to get what they wanted. With the movie toyline now being one of the most successful toy releases in Hasbro's long history, the decision was made from the bigwigs and the marketing bigwigs (and pressure from retailers like WalMart) that the movie toyline should be extended an additional 6 months to cash-in on the movie's popularity and the upcoming DVD release.

This then caused Animated's toy release to be pushed back and delayed (so Hasbro wouldn't compete with itself). However, the contract between Hasbro and Cartoon Network had already been finalized and was set to go, and nothing could really be done to stop it, so Cartoon Network progressed as the original schedule, and started airing the show Christmas 2007.

The toyline was eventually released halfway through Season 2. At this point, Hasbro internally had begun work on Season 3 and was awaiting a greenlight from Cartoon Network on the show. This is where the information gets sketchy, but rumors persist that YTV made such a big push that Hasbro greenlighted Season 3 before Cartoon Network even agreed to it, and was finally coherced into it. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea.

Due to the delay on both Hasbro's part (Season 3 should have been greenlighted by the time Season 1 was done airing, not when Season 2 was finishing) from the movie toyline, and Cartoon Network's hesistance to greenlight, we have this huge gap that we have.

Now look at things like the economy in the United States. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen comes out in just a few months, Universe 2.0 going on a reported "hiatus" during that time, the future of Transformers Animated is thrown in to question. Should Hasbro continue with a series that relates NOTHING to the movie? Or should they develop something that does tie in to the movie and ditch Animated by the end of 2009?

From what the rumor mill states, they've decided to go a different direction. My prediction is we're going to have something new that's movie-related or ties in directly to the movie. The movie is the most successful Transformers THING to ever happen. Ever. More people saw the movie than have ever seen the cartoon. It's a business-smart decision to go the way of the movie rather than keep rebooting your franchise. Kids already know and love the movie ... so stick to it and cash in.

Animated is more of a casuality of success. It was planned before the success of the movie, and the movie's success is going to kill it (in favor of something movie-related). This isn't bad news ... unless you're like me and can't really stand the movie continuity or toys (but I did enjoy the movie).

So we'll see.

14. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info Kickback. This is what gets on my nerves about the success of the 2007 movie......great toylines like Universe are going on hiatus and great cartoons/toylines like Animated are getting kicked to the curb in favor of all things live-action-movie.

Don't get me wrong I LOVED the 2007 movie. I thought the movie toyline was mediocre at best and Hasbro is a business so they're trying to milk the success of both to the fullest.

I just think that the Transformers franchise as a whole is suffering because of the movie's success. Hasbro is going to neglect great things like Universe and Animated to put all of it's bread in one basket. (Movie.) The transformers horizon should stay as broad as it currently is and it seems like they're trying to narrow things down.

Transformers is such a great franchise that i think it could support more that just the movie storyline. I wish that Hasbro could see how much fans and collectors love all things Transformers related and not just the movie. That includes the Movie, Animated, and Universe.

It's a shame because it looks like one of the greatest cartoons and toylines in TFs history is gonna die way before it's time as a result of this. I wish there was a way for the fandom to voice this to hasbro/cartoon network.

Maybe at the next Q & A or botcon?

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    After buying a lot of the 1st movie's toys, and looking at them now and feeling sorely disappointed in most of them, I highly doubt I'll be dropping anywhere near as much money on ROTF toys. So if Hasbro do can Animated, they won't be getting much of my money at all. I doubt I'm the only one either.

16. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I got rid of alot of my movie toys because I bought into the hype at the time and bought some pretty crappy toys in the process.

IMO there's no way ROTF is going to sustain the same success as the original toyline. Alot of the first movie toyline's success was because of the hype and anticipation. Now that alot of collectors have seen what the movie toys have to offer, they'll probably back off of ROTF alot.

I just hope that Animated is still on the table when/if this happens. That way Hasbro will still have the option of falling back on it.

17. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Something I wanted to add:

Animated was successful right? The toyline and the cartoon were both pretty well recieved......am I wrong? Then why would Hasbro/Cartoon Network scrap something that was successful? They're running a business and like money right? Why treat this cartoon/toyline this way?

It doesn't make sense to treat something that was so successful this way. Unless there was some other underlying issues that we may never know about.

18. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    As previously stated by Kickback, if they'd continue selling Animated next to Movie, Hasbro would be competing with themselves, and since the Movie toys make lotsalotsa more money, they'll probably go in favor for the Movie line.

If you are a fan of Animated, yeah that's a problem. But from a business perspective, it makes total sense. Hasbro isnt philanthropic, it's a megacorporation that needs to make money/profit/cigars in order to stay healthy - especially in a declining economy.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same here on that. I don't dislike Movie stuff, but I like both Universe and Animated vastly more than Movie on both a stylistic and "fun toy" basis. Maybe ROTF will change that. I'm sure I'll be buying some ROTF toys, just not as many this time around, to hopefully avoid some of the looking back a year later and thinking: "What made me buy this one again?"

20. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm happy with what we've had from Animated, plus I never anticipated it going further than 3 seasons anyway. I've enjoyed the show (the first 2 seasons thus far obviously) and the toys have been awesome but if it really does end after season 3 I'm cool with it.

I'd be interested to see what Hasbro would do next, I'd love something tied into the movieverse unlike some other people. Thats one thing I love about this franchise, the way the wheel keeps turning all the time, it's always changing.

Of course if it changes back into crappily dubbed japanese shows thats not so good...