Did the Thrilling 30 line had as many remolds as the current lines have had?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by General Magnus, Oct 6, 2017.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I mean, almost every mold is a remold/retool of an existing one, especially in the case of the combiners. Is this a trend?

2. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Combiners? In the Thrilling 30 line?
    Surely you're referring to Combiner Wars, the Generations Sub Line Imprint that came out the following year, because the only combiner in T30 was Centuritron.

3. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Well-Known Member

Shared engineering isn't a bad thing, you know. A car doesn't need to transform into a robot 5000 different ways if they've already found a few designs that work just fine. And now that they're outright remolding entire figures into different ones, instead of just swapping out a few parts and calling it a day, I'm not sure why people are still complaining.

Besides, apart from a couple of the dinobots and Rodimus/Dark Rodimus, I'm not sure where you're seeing all the mold re-usage in the first two waves of Power of the Primes. Unless you're one of those people who are insisting that Hun-Gurr is a lazy retool of Silverbot, just because they share some engineering.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover The Bob Bomber

News Credits:
    Not really that different. Looking at deluxe figures only:

Generations:
    20 main line releases: 10 new molds, 5 retools, 3 repaints, 2 unclear (Wheeljack and Junkheap both came out in Generations around the time retools came out in RtS)

FoC:
    18 main line releases: 11 new molds, 1 retool, 6 repaints (some with headswaps)

T30:
    22 main line releases: 13 new molds, 3 retools, 6 repaints (some with headswaps)

CW:
    24 main line releases: 9 new molds, 5 retools, 1 minor retool, 9 repaints (some with headswaps)

TR:
    21 main line releases: 13 new molds, 5 retools*, 3 repaints

POTP (so far):
    12 main line releases: 7 new molds, 5 retools**, 0 repaints (so far)

* For clarity, sharing any substantial set of parts is counted here as a retool (e.g. Scourge and Highbrow)
    ** These are preliminary and guessed at from renders and convention images so far, and feel free to change the count how you wish, but Cutthroat (Swoop - shares arms, wings), Sinnertwin (Snarl - shares robot legs), Slag (Sludge - shares legs at least), and, of course, Dreadwind and Darkwing

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  5. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems the heavy reuse of molds for CW and probably POTP is probably due to the Combiner gimmick taking more time/effort to design and even then you had problematic molds like Motormaster, Alpha Bravo or Breakdown. If you look at TR or even some of the Voy for T30 the new brand management had much less a problem not doing remolds of everything such as Roadbuster/Whirl/Sky-Byte or Titan's Returns Rodimus/Perceptor/Galvatron/Wolfwird/Mindwipe.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Thanks for that in depth analysis.

7. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

As long as the essence of the character is captured, I've no problem with retools and repaints.

To be honest, I think we didn't get enough repaints.

Triggerhappy - Needlenose, Snare, Sprocket
    Highbrow - Spinister, Battletrap, Skyfall
    Blitzwing - Flywheels, Overcharge
    Ultra Magnus - Delta Magnus, Roughstuff
    Laser Prime - Powertrain, Ironworks
    Astrotrain - Nightflight, Airwave, Thunderwing inner bot (with Nucleon head)
    Mindwipe - Bombburst
    Skullcruncher - Gatoraider
    Weirdwolf - Carnivac
    Quake - Tank drones, especially since Quake was a tank drone commander in the Universe comics.

Some of the above like Snare, Roughstuff and Delta Magnus were inspired by fan digibashes.

Obviously Sprocket and Skyfall were the cancelled Collector's Club exclusives.

8. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover The Bob Bomber

News Credits:
    Sure. CW is a weird data point in there - I imagine Hasbro was unsure if combiners would really sell well so they shorted the budget a bit just in case (hence the two repaint waves of Autobot cars). I would bet if they did it over again w/the information they had now, we'd see a bit more retooling and fewer repaints

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarge133

Sarge133 Grimlock Nut

Ebay:
    I don't mind it too much. The problem with remolding like they are now, is that you never get that "fun" of figuring out a NEW transformation. Instead, we get the Deadend/Streetwise/Prowl/Chromedome/Getaway mold over and over and over. It just isn't as fun to open a new toy and have the same transformation you've had with six other figures.

10. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    PotP only has 6 new molds (Jazz, Swoop, Slug, Snarl, Rippersnapper and Moonracer). Blot is remolded from Rippersnapper.