Did the sweeps keep the insecticons clone powers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gaastra, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movie gives us two sweeps from the insecticons. Later in the film we get more. The show sometimes has a army of sweeps!

So, did the sweeps keep the clone powers from the insecticons?

That would explain the extra sweeps. What it ever explained?

2. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I don't think they did as apprently they always used the same certen Sweeps, 5 6 and 7 I think but I could be wrong on that and given each one was named (well numbered) and was said to have a different aspect of Scourges personality I would guess there weren't a lot of clones running around.

How ever this is just what I remember from reading things on the forums and a lot of G1 is fuzzy to say the least when it comes to canon so go with what ever idea works best in your head.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have my doubts that the writers for the movie/season3 ever really gave it that much thought... but as an explanation that the fandom has largely accepted over the years, it does make a lot of sense.

Rather than worrying about which seeker/insecticon became who, it might be easier just to assume that all of the parts got recycled into a big pool that was transformed into Cyclonus, Scourge, the Sweeps and... ugh... "Armada". That way the powers were kind of shared around differently.

zmog

4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I don't consider the Sweeps to have the Insecticons' cloning abilities. I just consider the variation in the number of sweeps to be one of the many original cartoon's discrepancies.

5. SMOG

In other words, an ongoing and complete inability to keep their shit together. :lol 

zmog

6. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To my knowledge, there was nothing said about the Sweeps keeping the cloning abilities of the Sweeps. It's possible they might have, though it's just as possible they didn't.

That's always the best solution.

7. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    nope. no insecticon cloning abilities got recycled.

christ, the insecticons were like the freaking three stooges....

8. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

There's no proof that the Sweeps kept the Insecticon powers at all, so you can not conclusively say they did.

Ergo, the chances are that they did not have cloning powers, since evidence shows they never used cloning powers.

9. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    Lets go back to simple terms...Galvatron and the sweeps and cyclonus and scourge were created by unicron to serve him ...conquering worlds and destroying the matrix of leadership...

WHY would unicron give a power to "cannon fodder" that would take energy from him and allow the sweeps to make unlimited #'s of themselves?

10. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

The Insecticons already had the power to clone themselves. It shouldn't take any power from Unicron for the Sweeps to do this, if in fact they inherited the ability from the Insecticons.
    Which, in my fanon they did, or at least some measure of it. Considering how many Sweeps we see over the course of Season 3, there have to be extras coming from somewhere.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

more like they just didnt care to keep their shit together

For arguments sakes...

There's no proof that the Sweeps DIT NOT keep the Insecticon powers at of cloning, so you can not conclusively say they did not.

Ergo, the chances are that they did have cloning powers,the lack of evidence showing them useing cloning powers proves nothing what so ever.

Absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence.

The fact that we never saw it does not prove it wasnt possible.

12. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    It would have been cooler if they had retained some of the insecticons other special abilities...Shrapnel's ability to harness lightning, Bombshells cerebro shells, and Kickback's ability to um...kick stuff really hard.

13. SMOG

Fixed. ;) 

The Insecticons, in their first appearance, managed to put half the Autobots to shame. The Sweeps have never managed to do anything besides get themselves shot in the face... usually by either Galvatron or Wheelie. They were so disposable, they gave cannon fodder a bad name.

They had off-screen cloning powers. It's one of those special non-diegetic powers like Prime's subspace trailer.

Tomayto, tomahto, my friend. If they couldn't be bothered, it's still a strike against them. I won't defend sloppy work.

True... though there's no REAL evidence that the Sweeps really have ANY characteristics of their source cadavers anyway, and there's very little evidence to suggest that "Armada" even exists.

However, I'm perfectly happy with the fanon explanation for the seemingly inexhaustible supply of worthless, nameless Sweeps. Clones. All of them.

Yeah, but drawing conclusions based on the acknowledged nigh-impossibility of disproving a negative is also kind of bullshitty as well. For argument's sake, there's also nothing to disprove that possibility that the Sweeps were fuelled by the souls of dead kittens and that Unicron had a heart made out of cheese. :D 

zmog

14. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well we could go with this, the Scourge could clone himself but being such worthless cannon fodder that the sweeps were only used to fill out the numbers, cyclonus could do this to but given armada vanished pretty quickly they were as bad or possibly even worse than the sweeps, so cyclonus being a true Warrior didn't want his image used by such worthless cannon fodder so he flies solo.

And no I don't really believe that, I stopped trying to make any sense of the G1 cartoon a long time ago.

15. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm a Seeker/Futuristic Jets combination. So your best bet is the Insecticons as the Sweeps and the Seekers as Scourge and Cyclonus.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

True, but I am not drawing any conclusions here what so ever.

17. SMOG

Indeed. "For argument's sake", I believe you said. ;) 

zmog

18. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Seeing as Cyclonus and Scourge never demonstrate the ability to use sonic booms and teleportation, I doubt it.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I was just trying to point out that either is possible given the evidence we do have.

Why would either demonstrate the ability of teleportation???

20. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

While personally I do agree with you on your choice of characters listed. So that we don't see World War III here, let's all just agree that we didn't see either Cyclonus or "Armada" having the ability to teleport.